Any songs you didn't care for...

Sussossus

...And when you heard them live, something clicked and you suddenly just love them?

For me, this was the case with both Between the Wheels and Spindrift. Spindrift was the most memorable song to me at my first (and still only) Rush concert. It was a total surprise.

Chemistry. Mystic Rhythms on the Hold Your Fire tour. Never cared for the song until I heard it live. Then, it was one of my favorites for a while.

Spindrift for me as well.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 9 2010, 11:37 PM)
I wasn't wild about Mission until I heard it live.

I agree. I heard it live in San Diego, where they recorded it for A Show Of Hands, and something 'clicked' and I was moved to appreciate it more and have loved it ever since.

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Jun 9 2010, 11:21 PM)
I really enjoyed Spindrift live. But after the show I listened to the album version and it still didn't click for me.

It took seeing it 4 times live just to tolerate Spindrift. Which is about as far as that song is ever goin to get with me.

GOAC though left me going, "Where was that on the RTB version?"

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jun 9 2010, 10:44 PM)
Ghost Of A Chance on S&A 2008. Stunning.

Good choice, same exact thing for me. I think it was the heavier guitar and overall heavier, modern sound that did it. The album version sounds kinda thin and the S&A version just made it seem like a whole new song to me.

I think the Vapor Trails stuff is better live, too. Secret Touch in particular changed for me when I saw it live.

When I first heard Spindrift off Snakes & Arrows, this track immediately became one of my all-time favorite songs.

But after I heard Rush play this track live, I haven't listened to it again.

It has become fingernails to a chalkboard.

So this is opposite to the context of this thread.

Sorry.....

Between The Wheels- not totally live, but when I saw it on the R30 DVD it blew me away. I felt like I "got" the song for the first time.

Glad to see GoaC getting some love. I've always thought it was an amazing song, even before hearing the live version (but I agree the live version is better).

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 10 2010, 08:09 AM)
Some of their songs of late are slowed down a bit too much for my tastes, but that's not a reflection of the songs themselves. I'm just not a fan of the labored tempo...(Between The Wheels needs a Starbucks triple shot).

And "Animate" needs about 100cc's of adrenaline straight into the heart.

This has NEVER happened to me. People told me I would love songs off of VT when I heard them live. I remember listening to Secret Touch on the S&A tour and being really bored - I couldn't wait for it to end.

If I love a song, I'll love it live. If I don't like a song, hearing it live doesn't change anything for me - never has.

Archived