Any songs you didn't care for...

Sussossus

I think part of the reason songs don't come alive for me when performed live by Rush is that Rush tends to play songs very close to the original recording. It's rare that they go on an improvisational jam or add a new section or drastically rearrange a song live. Pretty much what you hear on the studio album you hear live, just a little more raw. Yes, there's a rare exception like By-Tor from ATWAS, and it's cool to hear an audience singing along with Closer to the Heart, but if anything that just makes me really love that live recording - the original song is still what it was - I either liked it and I still do or I didn't like it and I still don't.

It has to be *Between The Wheels* cause that song just come across so heavy live and I didn't appreciate it as much when it first came out. The other is *Eathshine* loved it from jump street and couldn't wait to hear it live all 5 times.

Red Lenses.

I didn't really get that song until I heard it on the GUP tour, but I didn't have much time to get used to it before that show either...I just thought it was one of the weaker tracks on first listen, but then I realized that album has no weak tracks. tongue.gif

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Jun 10 2010, 04:43 AM)
When I first heard Spindrift off Snakes & Arrows, this track immediately became one of my all-time favorite songs.

But after I heard Rush play this track live, I haven't listened to it again.

It has become fingernails to a chalkboard.

So this is opposite to the context of this thread.

Sorry.....

Haha, that's pretty funny though. I'm glad nothing got ruined for me when I saw them live.

In response to those who commented on Secret Touch...I don't think I'll ever like that song. It has to be my least favorite Rush song.

Also, Workin' Them Angels changed for me live as well. I always liked the song and all, but live gave it more...well, life.

The only one that I actually liked the studio version better was The Larger Bowl. Definitely still good live, but the studio version is superior.

One last thing, @ jdouglas, I'm preeeetty sure Red Lenses was meant to be seen live. wink.gif I do enjoy it every now and then, but it's really not a good song by any means. I think it would be great to bring the glasses back for the TM tour, with the whole 3-D fad in theaters. That would be great to see some songs take advantage of it, even if we all end up looking like nerds. Nearly all Rush fans are nerds anyhow, right? laugh.gif

A few actually!

Natural Science

Between the Wheels

Way the Wind Blows

Maybe some others but these had the strongest reactions. NS was too much for me to handle when first hearing it, but when it was performed live, I fell in love. I still prefer the live version over the studio to this day.

Archived