Caravan or Tom Sawyer?

Earthshine

Which do you like more?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like more?

• Caravan
    • Tom Sawyer

I hate when people do this with a new song from anyone. I hate comparing it to their old stuff. Enjoy what we got now. Enjoy the new. I'am not gonna compare it to old stuff. You heard the old stuff a trillion times. This is new stuff , get into it. don't compare.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 1 2010, 11:08 AM)
Okay! Okay! Cool it everybody! I was just asking about your immediate and current impression of it! MAN!

Cool, it? You're the one acting like the excited puppy laugh.gif

I've only listened to it 3 times so far, so way too early to judge, but my initial impression is, that while it's a great song, it's not up their with absolute classics from the 70's and 80's. That may change and I'll feel even more warmly to it than I do now, but to have it beat Tom Sawyer? I don't think so. no.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 1 2010, 08:29 AM)
I like Turtles!

rofl3.gif Now THAT was funny! I dig completely random, out-of-left-field comments. They're funny...like farting without the smell.

C'mon now. The songs jam and its exciting to hear new material but Tom Sawyer has reached Iconic levels. Even people who don't like Rush that much can jam out to it.

Caravan is a bit disjointed and chaotic. I love that they are jamming out and showing their chops, but they could stand to settle in and let the jamming come to them. A perfect example would be Limelight. That song needs to be turned up as loud as it can. It's the type of song that can get you a speeding ticket if you aren't careful.

I'd also like to see Neil return to telling a story with his lyrics and letting the songs unfold. Both the lyrics and music are force fed and smashed in your face with these 2 new tunes. Some will love it, and I will certainly be playing them over and over again, but I just thought I'd share my opinion.

2.gif

Well, one song has only been around for roughly 12 hours now.

The other song is arguably the most iconic and popular song in Rush's huge catelog, and has been played on stereos around the world everyday for almost 30 years now.

Not to bring down the poll (because I can appreciate what you're getting at), but I just can't see the results showing us a true position of where both songs are at. They aren't very comparable...at least at this time.

Well I've listened to Caravan about 6 or 7 times and Tom Sawyer about 3 million. The former is certainly fresher, but it's waaaayyyy to early to compare those two IMO anyhow. Fresher always seems better to me because it's new...and Caravan IS indeed very good. I'm not ready to make that kind of comparison just yet.

Taking my wife as an example, someone who is not a Rush fan but doesn't hate them either - she more puts up with them because of me. tongue.gif

She's already heard Tom Sawyer, obviously, but if I was going to say pick 5 Rush songs (or even 10 or 25) as an intro to try and get her into Rush, Caravan wouldn't even enter my mind. For her, anyway, it's WAY too heavy. I would say that would be the case for most people - it would be a bad introduction UNLESS they were really only into modern music and metal or prog metal or something.

The song is great as far as I can tell from my first few listens, but it doesn't have the expansiveness, simplicity and melody of a lot of their more classic early and mid-period works. I've only listened 3 times, so this all could change, and still it's a great song...

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 1 2010, 03:47 AM)
Caravan is simply out of this world. But! Is it better than Tom Sawyer? Which do you like more?

Not even close...Tom Sawyer destroys caravan. You can sing along to TS...caravan is a mess of noise with no melody and the lyrics are forced.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 1 2010, 06:25 PM)
QUOTE (SpiritOfRush @ Jun 1 2010, 11:12 AM)
Not even close...Tom Sawyer destroys caravan.  You can sing along to TS...caravan is a mess of noise with no melody and the lyrics are forced.

Here we go... schla03.gif

You asked for peoples opinions, so there isn't any point bitching when you hear one that doesn't agree with yours. tongue.gif

Look, it's a decent track, ok? it's flaw is the vocals but overall a good effort.

But this is classic Rush you are comparing it with? Did you honestly think folk were going to rank it up therre with Moving Pictures?

fair enough, we haven't heard the rest of the album, and I would be delighted if they could pull off something of that quality again, but lets face it...it isn't going to happen, is it? Those days are in the past, just enjoy the new stuff for what it is and don't expect too much.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 1 2010, 03:47 AM)
Caravan is simply out of this world. But! Is it better than Tom Sawyer? Which do you like more?

How do you even compare the two?

TS had a big commercial success in the states, and non-fan recognize it, but it's not the only great RUSH song.

Spirit of Radio is a friggin' rock anthem up there with Won't Get Fooled Again and Stairway.

Archived