RUSH Reissues confirmed for 2011!

rtrushfan

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 27 2010, 06:57 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ May 27 2010, 01:40 PM)
These old albums were not recorded that way, they were recorded in stereo.

They will be remixed from the studio masters to 5.1....originally they were mixed down to two tracks (stereo)....

That's so exciting if they're really gonna do this!

There are so many possibilities to explore with these reissues. The ultimate reissues should contain:

Bonus tracks (live tracks, alternate takes, and demos)

5.1 surround either on SACD or DVDAudio

Bonus video footage on the DVD (live footage, promo videos, and band interviews, etc.)

Expanded booklets with liner notes

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean no offense to anyone here, but man, reading this stuff makes me so glad I'm not an audiophile laugh.gif it just seems like such an exhausting pain. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm particular about which specific versions of some songs I like and things like that, but nothing on this level. It seems like with all these variances in the mixes and whatnot, ignorance is truly bliss.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 9 2010, 09:10 AM)
Without any extras I'm happy with my last round of remasters. Naturally I'll pick up Vapor Trails if available.

Same here. Past a point, the difference becomes so minute as to only be noticeable on paper, as opposed to being something you can actually hear. Exceptions would be people with superhero-level hearing, or dogs. I don't think the dogs will care much unless the frequency is so high as to disturb them.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 27 2010, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 27 2010, 10:42 AM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 27 2010, 12:40 PM)
The Million dollar question everyone will be asking is...

Will Vapor Trails be included in this????

I hope so. It would be VT's best bet to finally go gold! biggrin.gif

Seriously they need to just delete this album and remove it from their catalog - best to pretend it never happened. Remix it, remaster it, do whatever - it will still be their worst album by a very wide margin. Ok, I'll be quiet now. ph34r.gif

I'd give that honor to Roll The Bones.

Vapor Trails is a great album underneath all that clipping.

I wouldn't expect ANY extras. Just the albums with yet another tweaked sound. I hope the clipping and squashing of the re masters is addressed. I'd like to hear Hemispheres if the original 24 track masters are put into the right hands.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 27 2010, 12:46 PM)

Seriously they need to just delete this album and remove it from their catalog - best to pretend it never happened. Remix it, remaster it, do whatever - it will still be their worst album by a very wide margin. Ok, I'll be quiet now. ph34r.gif

Psssttt.. He said Vapor Trails, not Feedback. smile.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 27 2010, 01:46 PM)

Seriously, that's what you always say. And yet... laugh.gif

QUOTE (spok @ Aug 9 2010, 12:01 PM)
please include T4E on Vinyl so I can complete the set...please, please, please

Hey Spok - love the sig pic. And thanks to you I now know what the stage looks like for the new tour. That's just... swell. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 9 2010, 12:07 PM)

Pags, please remember -- if Goobs doesn't like something, no one else is allowed to like it either! no.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 9 2010, 12:38 PM)

Pags, please remember -- if Goobs doesn't like something, no one else is allowed to like it either! no.gif

And we all need to hear about it a million times and at every single solitary possible opportunity. yes.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 9 2010, 12:39 PM)

And we all need to hear about it a million times and at every single solitary possible opportunity. yes.gif

OMG you know what I just realized? This was posted in like... May. But it's still a valid point. laugh.gif

Edit: Ah! Now I see why - someone else quoted it and made it current.

Edited by Pags

QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 9 2010, 12:41 PM)

OMG you know what I just realized? This was posted in like... May. But it's still a valid point. laugh.gif

It's okay, someone besides you bumped it today. That means it's fair game again!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 9 2010, 12:42 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 9 2010, 12:41 PM)

It's okay, someone besides you bumped it today. That means it's fair game again!

Yes... I found it very odd why I'd be seeing it today, and just noticed why. So there you have it. biggrin.gif

Here's the most likely scenario to me:

*Disc 1: newly remastered CD version of the album, with relevant bonus tracks where available (for instance, they could stick "Not Fade Away" and "Can't Fight It" on the debut, "Take Off" and "Battle Scar" onto the albums from those eras, and that version of "Mission" with the full horn section that Geddy referred to in Contents Under Pressure)

*Disc 2: your choice of DVD or Blu-ray containing a 5.1 mix of the album and a few video goodies (live footage from that era if available, music videos, etc.)

*Actual liner essays/expanded packaging.

I own all of the '97 remasters but I've had some of them for 8 years so they've gotten pretty banged up. I'd totally reinvest in the whole catalog if they did something like what I described above.

Except that Battle Scar and Take Off have nothing to do with Rush as a whole. The rights reside with other parties.

They don't have songs in a vault somewhere; trying to come up with extras for a re-release just won't work sad.gif

I'm curious - could someone explain the logistics of a 5.1 mix? I thought CDs were stereo only... is a special format required? Or do standard CDs handle 5.1 data? To get a 5.1, would they have to package both a stereo mix and a 5.1 or could a 5.1 replace the stereo pressings?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Aug 9 2010, 10:39 AM)
Except that Battle Scar and Take Off have nothing to do with Rush as a whole. The rights reside with other parties.

They don't have songs in a vault somewhere; trying to come up with extras for a re-release just won't work sad.gif

I'm curious - could someone explain the logistics of a 5.1 mix? I thought CDs were stereo only... is a special format required? Or do standard CDs handle 5.1 data? To get a 5.1, would they have to package both a stereo mix and a 5.1 or could a 5.1 replace the stereo pressings?

CDs don't hold enough data for a 5.1 mix, unless they came out with hybrid SACDs which nobody uses anymore. What they would have to do is release it on a DVD (or Blu-ray), because those discs hold way more space than CDs. That's why I suggested packaging a CD with a stereo mix together with a DVD/Blu-ray with a 5.1 mix, to give people the option of playing whichever one they want.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Aug 9 2010, 12:47 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Aug 9 2010, 10:39 AM)

CDs don't hold enough data for a 5.1 mix, unless they came out with hybrid SACDs which nobody uses anymore. What they would have to do is release it on a DVD (or Blu-ray), because those discs hold way more space than CDs. That's why I suggested packaging a CD with a stereo mix together with a DVD/Blu-ray with a 5.1 mix, to give people the option of playing whichever one they want.

Ahhh... gotcha. Great explanation, thanks smile.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Aug 9 2010, 01:15 PM)

*Disc 1: newly remastered CD version of the album, with relevant bonus tracks where available (for instance, they could stick "Not Fade Away" and "Can't Fight It" on the debut, "Take Off" and "Battle Scar" onto the albums from those eras, and that version of "Mission" with the full horn section that Geddy referred to in Contents Under Pressure)
*Disc 2: your choice of DVD or Blu-ray containing a 5.1 mix of the album and a few video goodies (live footage from that era if available, music videos, etc.)

goodpost.gif

I wouldn't include "Take Off" and "Battle Scar", but I love the other ideas, especially the music videos.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Aug 9 2010, 01:15 PM)

I own all of the '97 remasters but I've had some of them for 8 years so they've gotten pretty banged up. I'd totally reinvest in the whole catalog if they did something like what I described above.

Sounds good to me. The sky's the limit on what they could do. As I've said before look to the Genesis and King Crimson reissues for the way Rush should do things.

Disc 1 CD with stereo mix (or remix if necessary)

Disc 2 DVD(Audio) with Dolby/DTS 5.1 with extra videos

If I could I'd ask Geddy and Alex what they're doing with this.