61 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Muse studio Album

• Showbiz
    • Origin of Symmetry
    • Absolution
    • Black Holes and Revelations
    • The Resistance

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 20 2012, 06:55 PM)
Didn't mind the Olympic song (not a fan but didn't hate it)

but the new track... "Madness" is terrible... is this really the same band that recorded "Origin of Symmetry" and "Absolution"?

Ill go ahead and post a link but here's your epic suck warning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq9zhpBweDk

I'm all for experimentation but this was pretty bland and boring. Its not terrible but I have no desire to listen to it again. I haven't heard the other 2 songs and after hearing this I don't really want to now.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 20 2012, 06:16 PM)
There's experimentation and not wanting to be stagnant as a band, and there's this garbage of a song. Changing is always welcome but then theres throwing everything you've done out the door. Muse releasing this song is like Rush releasing a Jazz album, Iron Maiden recording a synth pop track, Genesis doing Death Metal, or KISS doing a disco song (oh, wait that one did happen, and it sucked too)

Thank you. This is how I feel. I like when a band experiments with their sound and when they can pull it off, it is an amazing achievement. But Muse's new sound is awful and has no direction. It seems completely forced and unnatural to their sound.

I'm not a huge Muse fan, but I've heard a good chunk of their material up to this point, and it seems like a complete 180, instead of it being an organic transition to a different sound.

Some bands really succeed with trying new things with their music, but this just doesn't really cut it. It's bland, boring, and I don't hear any parts of the music where I go, "Aw man, I need to listen to this again to hear that part!"

I don't understand the love for Origins of Symmetry. It's just 52 minutes of Arpeggios!

Absolution and Black Holes are masterpieces. Definitely Muse's peak. The Resistance was solid, and from what I've heard of their upcoming album, it's not sounding good.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Aug 22 2012, 05:09 PM)
I don't understand the love for Origins of Symmetry. It's just 52 minutes of Arpeggios!

Absolution and Black Holes are masterpieces. Definitely Muse's peak. The Resistance was solid, and from what I've heard of their upcoming album, it's not sounding good.

I totally agree with this.

I listened to the new tunes.

WTF.

The Curse of Kate Hudson strikes again. She destroyed The Black Crowes and now it looks like she has destroyed Muse.

LOL.

I'd much prefer twitchier electronics than a full blown 80's electro sound, but honestly, I'm really liking this. I was worried we were going to get a BHaR/TR re-hash every three years for the next 10-20 years so this is nice and refreshing.

Looking forward to getting these tracks on a running playlist with older tracks and seeing how they go together!

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Sep 26 2012, 12:09 AM)
I'd much prefer twitchier electronics than a full blown 80's electro sound, but honestly, I'm really liking this. I was worried we were going to get a BHaR/TR re-hash every three years for the next 10-20 years so this is nice and refreshing.

Looking forward to getting these tracks on a running playlist with older tracks and seeing how they go together!

Dublin in November. Pre-sale tomorrow morning!

I'm getting a seat this time. Last time I saw them, I was on the ground floor, surrounding by young people. I felt so old, so now, I'm going to act old and get a seat. Bring a flask of tea, maybe a blanket for my knees. It's cold in November.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 26 2012, 08:38 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Sep 26 2012, 12:09 AM)

Dublin in November. Pre-sale tomorrow morning!

I'm getting a seat this time. Last time I saw them, I was on the ground floor, surrounding by young people. I felt so old, so now, I'm going to act old and get a seat. Bring a flask of tea, maybe a blanket for my knees. It's cold in November.

I've only ever seen them seated, best way to be. I was at the front for the BHaR tour, completely unprepared having never been to a gig like that before, and they started with Knights then Hysteria!

At the 02 I got pre-sale seats (mistakenly) but they turned out to be a godsend, and for Wembley me and a mate were right at the back with a panoramic view.

- Supremecy= Actually good, MBs vocals here are not the best, but a very good opening track

-Madness= I've hated on this song enough already...garbage

-Panic Station= Meh... I don't hate this one, and the funk/groove thing didn't bother me too much.. but neither did too much for me, some great guitar though, and I admit, while not too impressive at first glance, I admit it's one that could grow a bit.

-Prelude/Survival= I didn't hate this one as much as some did, a decent track, standard anthem fair.. thus it's intention..not as bad as the criticism it got during the Olympics, and while far from the best, it's also far from a skipper.

-Follow Me= 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif WTF was that Dub-pop bullshit!?

- Animals= Someone call Matt Bellamy and tell him Thom Yorke wants his song back..lol. but this is a pretty good track, and I love the subtle bluesy guitar going on. I enjoyed this one VERY much.

- Explorers= Nothing against the ballads, this reminds me alot of Invincible, which is my favorite MUSE track, but instead of building towards the epicness that Invincible does, this one keeps it to the mellow and stays a ballad. The Subtle string orchestration is nice as well. Ill give it a pass..

- Big Freeze= Not toooo bad, but a bit overly generic, didn't hate it, but I know MUSE is better than this obvious radio-bait. The guitar on the last 3rd of the song and the outro do elevate what is a mostly a redundant and boring track...

- Save Me= Someone call Matt Bellamy and tell him Steven Wilson wants his song back. The Vocal performance with the orchestration and guitar made a fantastic intro... I'm really digging this track, and kind of taken back by how different this is not only from the rest of the album, but from any other Muse song in general... This is how you "evolve" your sound, in this direction... not where you going with "Madness".... This song alone will probably sell me the CD.

- Liquid State= Ahhh, something somewhat heavy... nice driving riffs, and I like that someone other than Matt's falsetto voice (not complaining, I enjoy Matts vocals largely) take center stage for a bit of change up, and kind of reminds me of the Flying Colors release earlier this year....only complaint is that it's a bit too short.. more could have been done with this track...but overall a great track.

- The 2nd Law (Unstainable)... gonna not try to judge this on just the album preview... I enjoyed the buildup of the strings but until the ... ughhh... dubstep....I guess something can be said that Matt B did it all with just his guitar. But I am glad that it dosen't dominate the track as the album preview suggested, but only is prominent in a few areas. For the most part (other than the in your face dub crap) it is a decent track...I am surprised.. I guess I got too worked up by the album trailer

- The 2nd Law (Isolated System)... Love the start up, kind of has the same feel as "Save Me"... Not too sure about this as an album closer... but I enjoyed it alot.. I might be missing something concept wise as to why this track is placed right at the end of the album...

I have to say... after "Madness" and the album preview, my expectations were set WAAAAY low for this album, but I am conveniently surprised, I did not expect to actually like this album, and for the most part, I do. And other than a few tracks (Follow me...really.. what the f**k was that?, you make Madness look like good song) that are utterly skippable.. this is a very decent album... better than the previous couple of albums... I don't know yet.. these are my initial reactions, and it will take a few spins for it to sink in completely... I am just relieved that this album didn't altogether suck.

Hopefully, some help from my fellow Rush fans. I have enjoyed the few songs that I've heard as identified as being Muse. Trying to keep my ear current, you know? (We need a female emoticon for ---> old.gif . I don't have a beard.)

As a Muse novice, what would be my best bet for a first album? I just got the one with Uprising (that song grew on me when I heard it), I wasn't sure about the one with Super Massive Blackhole.

Is the catalog worth buying or should I just focus on one or two albums and the rest are meh?

Thanks for your pointers.

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Sep 29 2012, 07:14 PM)
Hopefully, some help from my fellow Rush fans. I have enjoyed the few songs that I've heard as identified as being Muse. Trying to keep my ear current, you know? (We need a female emoticon for ---> old.gif . I don't have a beard.)

As a Muse novice, what would be my best bet for a first album? I just got the one with Uprising (that song grew on me when I heard it), I wasn't sure about the one with Super Massive Blackhole.

Is the catalog worth buying or should I just focus on one or two albums and the rest are meh?

If you've already got The Resistance & Black Holes and Revelations the new one, The 2nd Law, might be a logical place to go. If you weren't too keen on BHaR going back to Absolution, Origin of Symmetry and Showbiz might not be best yet. Maybe check out a few songs from them? As albums they're a little different.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Sep 29 2012, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Sep 29 2012, 07:14 PM)
Hopefully, some help from my fellow Rush fans.  I have enjoyed the few songs that I've heard as identified as being Muse.  Trying to keep my ear current, you know? (We need a female emoticon for ---> old.gif .  I don't have a beard.)

As a Muse novice, what would be my best bet for a first album?  I just got the one with Uprising (that song grew on me when I heard it), I wasn't sure about the one with Super Massive Blackhole.

If you've already got The Resistance & Black Holes and Revelations the new one, The 2nd Law, might be a logical place to go. If you weren't too keen on BHaR going back to Absolution, Origin of Symmetry and Showbiz might not be best yet. Maybe check out a few songs from them? As albums they're a little different.

Thanks. Does their sound change quite a bit from album to album?