Geddy says "in the studio soon"

MainMonkey

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 3 2009, 04:18 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Dec 3 2009, 04:07 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 3 2009, 04:05 PM)
Has it crossed anyone's mind that maybe Ged just said that so these so -called "fans" would leave him alone. Can you imagine if he said " I have no idea if and when we are getting back together"  He would get a 100 questions fired at him

so Geddy lied?

I am not saying he lied . Do you have any idea how many times "famous" people will say something to get out of a situation . I would never say he lied but, you never know what was going on around him.

They have a history of being very tight-lipped. Combine that with the fact that Neil spoke of a meeting in the past several weeks to discuss the next steps for the band and everything seems on the up and up.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (presto123 @ Dec 3 2009, 04:21 PM)
Nobody's talking about whether the record is already written or not. It is quite possible that the majority of the material is already together and all they have to do is refine it and record it. Then they could theoretically have a full length album out by summer. Maybe they have been writing all along. It doesn't take long for Neil to come up with his parts. Who hopes Nick R. produces like I do? I think Nick will try and get even MORE of a classic Rush sound on the next one:)

Seems pretty unlikely. They've all made it pretty clear that they've been enjoying their time off and not working. Factor in trips and Neil's baby and Neil's comments about everything being a blank slate along with the fact that they haven't done it before and it stands to reason that they're starting from scratch.

They should do an EP called Fast Forward consisting entirely of covers of songs that won't be recorded for 30 or 40 years from now.

Seriously though, I doubt they'll ever do an EP again. I would be more than happy with a 40 minute album of killer material though rather than a longer album with filler...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 3 2009, 05:53 PM)
Seriously though, I doubt they'll ever do an EP again. I would be more than happy with a 40 minute album of killer material though rather than a longer album with filler...

funny thing is that back in the day 40 minutes was a whole album.

QUOTE (tangy @ Dec 3 2009, 04:00 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 3 2009, 05:53 PM)
Seriously though, I doubt they'll ever do an EP again.  I would be more than happy with a 40 minute album of killer material though rather than a longer album with filler...

funny thing is that back in the day 40 minutes was a whole album.

exactly wink.gif

The math is tough to figure...

If they're going into the studio " very very soon " , it's January... at the earliest. No way they're going in before Christmas. Assuming they're recording an album of all new material, they wouldn't be ready to hit the road in the summer in support of that material by the summer. Even if they're recording just a few new tunes, it's tough to imagine they'll be ready to tour a few short months later. Is it possible they're going to do covers? I wouldn't imagine so, but one never knows.

That said, it seems clear that they have plans to be in the studio, or on the road, very soon. A friend of mine met Alex at a fundraiser a few weeks back and Alex told him, we're "DEFINITELY " getting back to work very shortly.

Not sure what it all means but something good has to come out of all this.

QUOTE (Phantom @ Dec 3 2009, 06:08 PM)

If they're going into the studio " very very soon " , it's January... at the earliest. No way they're going in before Christmas. Assuming they're recording an album of all new material, they wouldn't be ready to hit the road in the summer in support of that material by the summer. Even if they're recording just a few new tunes, it's tough to imagine they'll be ready to tour a few short months later. Is it possible they're going to do covers? I wouldn't imagine so, but one never knows.

That said, it seems clear that they have plans to be in the studio, or on the road, very soon. A friend of mine met Alex at a fundraiser a few weeks back and Alex told him, we're "DEFINITELY " getting back to work very shortly.

I think what you're probably going to see - as Neil alluded to in his blog - is like 6-8 weeks in the studio where they write and record a few songs and release whatever the result of those sessions are. Could be an EP or just a few songs released 1-by-1 on itunes, on their website etc. This gives them some material to tour with. But I think they know the economics combined with their age don't add up to taking a year and a half to record a full album at this point. This way they bang out a few songs and have something new for the road but they can get right to touring by middle of the year.

QUOTE (Score Out @ Dec 3 2009, 06:33 PM)
QUOTE (Phantom @ Dec 3 2009, 06:08 PM)

If they're going into the studio " very very soon " , it's January... at the earliest. No way they're going in before Christmas. Assuming they're recording an album of all new material, they wouldn't be ready to hit the road in the summer in support of that material by the summer. Even if they're recording just a few new tunes, it's tough to imagine they'll be ready to tour a few short months later.  Is it possible they're going to do covers? I wouldn't imagine so, but one never knows.

That said, it seems clear that they have plans to be in the studio, or on the road, very soon. A  friend of mine met Alex at a fundraiser a few weeks back and Alex told him, we're "DEFINITELY " getting back to work very shortly.

I think what you're probably going to see - as Neil alluded to in his blog - is like 6-8 weeks in the studio where they write and record a few songs and release whatever the result of those sessions are. Could be an EP or just a few songs released 1-by-1 on itunes, on their website etc. This gives them some material to tour with. But I think they know the economics combined with their age don't add up to taking a year and a half to record a full album at this point. This way they bang out a few songs and have something new for the road but they can get right to touring by middle of the year.

I do agree that the timeline is very tight, especially looking at the schedule for Snakes & Arrows (Wikipedia).

Jan 2006 - Writing for Snakes & Arrows began

Mar 2006 - Rough versions of six songs had been completed

May 2006 - Refined the songs in a small professional studio in Toronto

Sep 2006 - Band set out to write and record additional songs

Nov/Dec 2006 - Recorded in five weeks between Nov and Dec 2006

May 2007 - Released

The actual recording of S&A was pretty quick, but they did spend a lot of time on songwriting/pre-production and then on post-production.

Who knows, maybe they have decided to "write and record just a few songs, and release them some way" as Neil speculated, rather than record a full album.

Of course, in the same update Neil also said his "favorite group activity is always songwriting and recording," so maybe they will want to spend their time on a full album.

But I'm starting to think maybe they will try something different this time. Maybe record just a few songs, release them digitally on Rush.com (or an EP), and then do a tour. 2.gif

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Dec 3 2009, 06:57 PM)
I speculate that 70% of you wont like the album.

If it sounds like S&A.......hell no

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 3 2009, 06:59 PM)

I heard that they're reuniting with Terry Brown and using the Back to the Future Delorean to go back to Le studio in 1981 and record Moving Pictures II. yes.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Dec 3 2009, 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 3 2009, 06:59 PM)

I heard that they're reuniting with Terry Brown and using the Back to the Future Delorean to go back to Le studio in 1981 and record Moving Pictures II. yes.gif

That would be best........................ moon.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Dec 3 2009, 03:50 PM)
ohmy.gif There goes my wedding money... laugh.gif

why not have the ceremony at the front of Saratoga..or wherever they play near you?

now THAT my dear is a sig pic!

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 3 2009, 05:18 PM)

so Geddy lied?

I am not saying he lied . Do you have any idea how many times "famous" people will say something to get out of a situation .

ahemtigerwoodsruhahem!

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Dec 3 2009, 07:27 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 3 2009, 05:18 PM)

so Geddy lied?

I am not saying he lied . Do you have any idea how many times "famous" people will say something to get out of a situation .

ahemtigerwoodsruhahem!

Tell'em what he's won johnny............................. laugh.gif

I hope it's true... especially the tour. : )

Back when they did the S&A tour, I wasn't a complete rush maniac, and somewhat green in both age and individual experience so to speak... I would have to travel to the other side of the country, for myself, darnit! >_>

Anyway... I sure hope they stop by sweden. :<

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Dec 3 2009, 07:24 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Dec 3 2009, 03:50 PM)
ohmy.gif  There goes my wedding money... laugh.gif

why not have the ceremony at the front of Saratoga..or wherever they play near you?

now THAT my dear is a sig pic!

Totally. We could get married in the day, have the reception via the Rush show in my wedding gown, veil, bouquet -- AND license plate in hand yes.gif

EDIT: Someone photoshop a veil into my sig photo! rofl3.gif

There is NO WAY they are going to tour this summer. If they record an EP or a full album, it doesn't matter. they won't tour this summer, that's way too soon. maybe if this was 1976, then that would be realistic. But the way they write and record now days nope. now summer 2011 thats realistic.

write, record, master, album release, rehearse THEN tour. <---- all that takes a lot of time.

All good points 'Xanadude69' I concur!

"......plans on entering the studio very, very soon and are hoping to then tour this summer."

It may not be this summer! They album may take alot longer, you just never know! These guys are perfectionists, so.....

It's amazing these guys are going to do it all over again!!! WOW!!!

Neil Peart is Dunkelkammer!!!

Archived