Geddy says "in the studio soon"

MainMonkey

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Dec 3 2009, 01:18 PM)
I speculate that they are going to make a full album and not an 'EP'.

I say an EP if he's saying a summer tour is possible. I'll just be happy when they're working on something so we can have something to talk about as the rumours start.

QUOTE (MainMonkey @ Dec 3 2009, 01:12 PM)
In the studio very soon and possible summer tour (per Geddy lee). Saw it on RIAB. Let the speculating begin.

Much to my surprise, my guy told me last week that they would be back out on the road "this summer, tentatively".

So, keep your fingers crossed and start saving your money.

Here's what it says on RIAB:

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Geddy Lee: Rush in the studio soon, Summer 2010 tour possible

Posted at 12:06PM | link | comments (18)

Geddy Lee was a special guest at the 25th annual Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) Miracle Day charity event yesterday in Toronto. According to reports from a few lucky fans who were there and spoke to the man himself, Geddy said that Rush plans on entering the studio very, very soon and are hoping to then tour this summer. While this is a tentative sort of statement and there has been no official announcement, it's still very encouraging news and seems to corroborate Alex Lifeson's comments from a couple of his interviews over the Summer. In his Prog magazine interview Alex stated the following:

... Tentatively, we start work on the next album in the fall - I did mention it to Ged before he went away on holiday and he sort of looked the other way. Come September and we'll certainly have some plans, we did the last record, or we started on the last album in the fall and I'd like to do that again, start recording maybe. I don't know who might produce, that's some ways off yet. ...

And more recently in an interview with Noisecreep.com Alex said:

... Neil and his wife had a baby just a couple of weeks ago, so he's asked if we can just wait a little bit until he gets settled and see how he feels about getting back to work or when to get back to work. So we're sort of playing it open right now. ... I would guess that sometime in the early fall we would get back together and start writing again, and then hopefully by next summer, we'd be ready to tour.

So all of this leads me to speculate that Neil must have given the thumbs up for getting back to work when the band met in Los Angeles for their November meeting. My guess is that they won't start recording until after the Holidays at the earliest. So assuming all of this is true, we can start speculating about who will produce, where they will record, when the album will be released, when/where they will tour, etc. Let the speculation begin! smile.gif

I would wait a year for a full, great album than a so-so thrown together E.P.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 3 2009, 02:37 PM)

Or, maybe the EP will have 6 great songs, as opposed to a full album with 6 great songs and 6 so-so songs. Hopefully.

EDIT: MH just said the same thing as I was typing this. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Dec 3 2009, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 3 2009, 07:37 PM)

On the evidence of the last few albums, maybe it would be better having a 6-8 track EP full of killer than an album with 4 or so 'meh' tracks.

I'd rather have those 'meh' songs than not have them. Rush's 'meh' is still better than the average band - and every song Rush does has some value in one way or another.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Dec 3 2009, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Dec 3 2009, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 3 2009, 07:37 PM)

On the evidence of the last few albums, maybe it would be better having a 6-8 track EP full of killer than an album with 4 or so 'meh' tracks.

I'd rather have those 'meh' songs than not have them. Rush's 'meh' is still better than the average band - and every song Rush does has some value in one way or another.

This.

I happen to like certain songs that are considered 'meh' by some people. I doubt Rush puts songs on records that they think aren't good enough.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Dec 3 2009, 02:59 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Dec 3 2009, 02:50 PM)
ohmy.gif  There goes my wedding money... laugh.gif

Never to late to cancel girly! Just look at how happy you look in your signature photo. Think you'll look *that* happy in a wedding dress?!

tempted.gif

spit6ph.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 3 2009, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 3 2009, 02:37 PM)

Or, maybe the EP will have 6 great songs, as opposed to a full album with 6 great songs and 6 so-so songs. Hopefully.

Very true, but then there is the possibility 3 out of the 6 songs are meh . Now we only have 3 great songs wink.gif

Why do people equate recording in the new year with an EP?

Whose's to say they can't put an album together and release it by early summer?

Some of us older fans remember the days when they'd knock out stellar albums in short order (remember in 1975 they put out TWO albums).

And if Ged AND Alex are saying record in early 2010 and start touring in summer of 2010, maybe they have some good ideas and pieces already written to bring to the other two guys?

Let's be optimistic for a full album by summer followed by a tour. smile.gif

Would you EP guys rather have or not have Tai Shan, High Water, etc.?

If there were unrelased tracks that were left off of Permanent Waves or Hemispheres, would you want to hear them?

Funny, when Rush retires fans will be clamoring for any unreleased material (I hope!). But now, some would rather have Rush release fewer songs. unsure.gif I don't get it. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Atomic @ Dec 3 2009, 03:12 PM)
Why do people equate recording in the new year with an EP?

Whose's to say they can't put an album together and release it by early summer?

Some of us older fans remember the days when they'd knock out stellar albums in short order (remember in 1975 they put out TWO albums).

And if Ged AND Alex are saying record in early 2010 and start touring in summer of 2010, maybe they have some good ideas and pieces already written to bring to the other two guys?

Let's be optimistic for a full album by summer followed by a tour. smile.gif

I totally agree. They'll never do an EP. If writing and recording the new album takes longer than expected then the tour will be pushed out, the album will not be reduced to accommodate a tour.

Come on people this is 2.gif we're talking about, not Linkin Park!

Archived