VAN HALEN is...

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 2 2009, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Nov 2 2009, 11:09 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Nov 2 2009, 01:09 PM)
It's a tough call between early VH and early Aerosmith. Aerosmith edges out VH because Toys in the Attic and Rocks are absolute masterpieces.

but Fair Warning is also a masterpiece... tough call.

Rocks is a compilation, not a real album.

No Rocks is an official album...with Back in the Saddle, Last Child, Sick As A Dog, etc...

you are probably thinking of the compilation album Gems wink.gif

yes.gif , my bad. laugh.gif

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (troutman @ Nov 3 2009, 05:36 AM)
VH was a great band early on. But have lost it over the past 15 or so yrs. With all the BS and band member changes. Especially when they fu**** over Michael Anthony!! 1287.gif These day's they just survive on the VH name! wink.gif

yes.gif +1

Have to agree that VH have lost the plot these last few years, hardly recognise their music any more.

But VH of the 70s and 80s just blew me away, especially their first album and that awesome guitar riff "Eruption" Shit yeah!

QUOTE (Sonatine @ Nov 3 2009, 03:21 AM)
VH was a great band early on. But have lost it over the past 15 or so yrs. With all the BS and band member changes. Especially when they fu**** over Michael Anthony!! 1287.gif These day's they just survive on the VH name! wink.gif

yes.gif +1

Have to agree that VH have lost the plot these last few years, hardly recognise their music any more.

But VH of the 70s and 80s just blew me away, especially their first album and that awesome guitar riff "Eruption" Shit yeah!

They haven't had an album in 11 years to recognize anyhow. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 2 2009, 10:09 PM)
QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Nov 2 2009, 08:04 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 2 2009, 09:02 AM)
To me, Van Halen begins and ends with David Lee Roth as singer.

yes.gif

I completely lost interest in them once DLR left.

me too and actually preferred DLR solo material better than anything VH put out after DLR left.

I think goobers argument about the dead has some merit based on their influence and longevity. Van Halen ripped it a new one when they came out and made some great discs over the span of few years but then faded hard after DLR left. One wonders what may have been had Eddie not turned into a drunk?

I can't think of a single group I like as much/or more after they lost/changed vocalists. Swapping out vocalists is pretty much a deal killer for me.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 3 2009, 10:27 AM)
QUOTE (Sonatine @ Nov 3 2009, 03:21 AM)

yes.gif +1

They haven't had an album in 11 years to recognize anyhow. biggrin.gif

There you have it. They suck!!! laugh.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 2 2009, 06:28 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Nov 2 2009, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 2 2009, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Nov 2 2009, 01:53 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 2 2009, 02:46 PM)
It's a tough call between early VH and early Aerosmith. Aerosmith edges out VH because Toys in the Attic and Rocks are absolute masterpieces.

I dunno...to be honest, I wouldn't put Aerosmith anywhere near VH on the list.

Again, just my opinion. trink38.gif

Based on what, the fact your a bigger VH fan ? Aerosmith is certainly in the same league as Van Halen, as far as success and the multitude of there fan base. There is little doubt about that fact. Am I wrong ?

I hear ya bro and i love "old' Aerosmith but i really think as far as the first 4 V.H. albums go, pretty untouchable by any american rock n roll band .......all imo 1022.gif

I'm a bigger VH fan for sure, but Aerosmith(featuring Dream on),Get Your Wings, Rocks, and Toys In The Attic are pretty legendary.

Yep, Rocks and Toys are masterpieces but the first 2 albums have a few filler tunes

Are you saying the first few Van Halen records have no fillers ? I can think of a few. Women and Children First had a couple clunkers and so did VH 2.

Oh, and to comment on another post... The Dead suck ass. yes.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 3 2009, 07:21 PM)

Based on what, the fact your a bigger VH fan ? Aerosmith is certainly in the same league as Van Halen, as far as success and the multitude of there fan base. There is little doubt about that fact. Am I wrong ?

I hear ya bro and i love "old' Aerosmith but i really think as far as the first 4 V.H. albums go, pretty untouchable by any american rock n roll band .......all imo 1022.gif

I'm a bigger VH fan for sure, but Aerosmith(featuring Dream on),Get Your Wings, Rocks, and Toys In The Attic are pretty legendary.

Yep, Rocks and Toys are masterpieces but the first 2 albums have a few filler tunes

Are you saying the first few Van Halen records have no fillers ? I can think of a few. Women and Children First had a couple clunkers and so did VH 2.

laugh.gif rofl3.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 3 2009, 10:21 PM)

I always felt VHII was overrated. Horrible production and the songs arent as strong as the first. I think they recorded it in a 2 week span , and it sounds like the songs were left overs from the first album.

I will say that their DEBUT album has ZERO filler on it. That is absolute fact.

The best debut album by any band IMO. 1022.gif

Well i really think out of the first 4 V.H. albums , 2 filler song's. You Really Got Me and Your No Good both cover songs. I can see what you might think is filler on Women and Children First , Could this be magic ? . That really is for me, the one i can see people thinking is filler. It all depends on the person i guess . You might not like Loss of Control ? I love it, ya know?

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 4 2009, 09:42 AM)

The first album is legendary indeed.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 4 2009, 09:49 AM)

Well i really think out of the first 4 V.H. albums , 2 filler song's. You Really Got Me and Your No Good both cover songs. I can see what you might think is filler on Women and Children First , Could this be magic ? . That really is for me, the one i can see people thinking is filler. It all depends on the person i guess . You might not like Loss of Control ? I love it, ya know?

I hope your not getting the impression I don't love these guys, because I do. I have seen them live 3 times. Twice with Sammy, and once with Dave. I guess I was just defending Aerosmith who I loved in my youth.

Come on guys...

Everyone knows, or should know, that Van Halen 3 was the very best album---The culmination of years of technical prowess and life experiences leading up to this deep, dramatic, brooding, introspective, dark, layered, textured masterwork of legendary proportions.....this was achieved thru Eddie's drug enhanced writing skills, the inner fighting within the band, and exodus of Sammy and near exodus of Michael, the pain Eddie was enduring with respect to his throat cancer and radiation treatments, the dissolving of Eddie's marriage, once he realized someone had been banging his wife, and the smooth vocal stylings of one Gary "More Than Words" Cherone.

Nah....no matter how you try to help by embellishing it, VH3 was just one huge stinking turd. http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff268/NeonKnight51/th_shit.jpg

Edited by vital signz

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 4 2009, 09:10 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 4 2009, 09:49 AM)

I hope your not getting the impression I don't love these guys, because I do. I have seen them live 3 times. Twice with Sammy, and once with Dave. I guess I was just defending Aerosmith who I loved in my youth.

Oh no, not at all. I loved and still love old Aerosmith

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 4 2009, 09:42 AM)

Yep....pretty much no denying that one. That debit album was amazing. yes.gif

QUOTE (vital signz @ Nov 4 2009, 10:16 AM)
Come on guys...

Everyone knows, or should know, that Van Halen 3 was the very best album---The culmination of years of technical prowess and life experiences leading up to this deep, dramatic, brooding, introspective, dark, layered, textured masterwork of legendary proportions.....this was achieved thru Eddie's drug enhanced writing skills, the inner fighting within the band, and exodus of Sammy and near exodus of Michael, the pain Eddie was enduring with respect to his throat cancer and radiation treatments, the dissolving of Eddie's marriage, once he realized someone had been banging his wife, and the smooth vocal stylings of one Gary "More Than Words" Cherone.

Gary Cherone is an excellent rock singer, its not his fault the album sucked.

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 4 2009, 11:28 AM)

Gary Cherone is an excellent rock singer, its not his fault the album sucked.

Completely agree with this. The two styles just didn't fit together AT ALL.

That, and I found EVH's playing to be largely uninspiring on this album.

Drugs will mess anyone's life up.

Edited by Rush Cocky

QUOTE (vital signz @ Nov 4 2009, 07:16 AM)

Nah....no matter how you try to help by embellishing it, VH3 was just one huge stinking turd. http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff268/NeonKnight51/th_shit.jpg

now was that neccessary?

QUOTE (Steevo @ Nov 4 2009, 03:47 PM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Nov 5 2009, 10:43 AM)
Greatest American band...The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Blue Oyster Cult. Anyone?

Ya kidding me, The BOC by a landslide, c'mon now!! tongue.gif

Cultosaurus Erectus Rocks! 1022.gif

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x243/dam-66/BlueOysterCult-CultosaurusErectus-9.jpg