Fountain Of Lamneth

Show Don't Tell

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KlanKaos @ Sep 21 2009, 12:25 PM)
Not that I don't love Fountain of Lamneth, but I honestly don't appreciate it as much as 2112 or Hemispheres. It just lacks the finish of the other two. It's not as polished or refined. I also agree that it doesn't seem coherent - transitions between chapters are often harsh in that song, and sometimes it just doesn't seem to make sense. It's still fun to listen to, but it's not as great as it could be.

I prefer it over Hemispheres because it's not as polished...lots of raw emotion in the vocals, the playing and the lyrics.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 22 2009, 11:55 PM)
QUOTE (KlanKaos @ Sep 21 2009, 12:25 PM)
Not that I don't love Fountain of Lamneth, but I honestly don't appreciate it as much as 2112 or Hemispheres. It just lacks the finish of the other two. It's not as polished or refined. I also agree that it doesn't seem coherent - transitions between chapters are often harsh in that song, and sometimes it just doesn't seem to make sense. It's still fun to listen to, but it's not as great as it could be.

I prefer it over Hemispheres because it's not as polished...lots of raw emotion in the vocals, the playing and the lyrics.

This.

CoS is better than 2112 and Hemispheres because it sounds erratic and unpolished.

I got into RUSH after seeing the Presto concert. After that concert, the first album I bought was Presto, then Moving Pictures, then every album, studio and live, that was available. After about 6 months my least favorite albums were Caress of Steel and the debut. I liked CoS, especially side one, but the Necromancer put me off, although I did get high to it several times...but it freaked me out on more than one occasion! cool10.gif I didn't mind The Fountain of Lamneth, but because it was cassettes in those days, it was hard to just jump to the songs you wanted to hear. So I tended to not listen to side two of CoS.

That said, about a year into my journey with RUSH where I had a grasp of all the albums, what songs were on them, I revisited CoS and I became a HUGE fan of side two, The Necromancer and The Fountain of Lamneth.

So over the years since, I have listened to it from time to time but admittedly not as much as the other albums, the exception being the debut which is my least favorite if I had to rank them.

Well the other day, on some thread, someone mentioned The Fountain of Lamneth and I decided to listen to it again. So for about the last 4 days, I have been mainly listening to it and just loving it all over again. The changes are just so amazing. I can't get enough of it right now. I'm gonna do the same with Necromancer, it's just a matter of time.

But that is what is so cool about RUSH. It's kinda like having a bunch of old friends that you may not see for a while, but when you do, it's like you never missed a beat. As much as I know this and have had these moments with so many different albums and songs over the years, it never fails to happen every so often. You just think, I haven't heard that one in a while, and you may think, I'm not really "In The Mood" (sorry) to listen to that, but you do, and it's like the first time you really "got it".

Anyway, whoever it was that recently mentioned The Fountain of Lamneth in some thread...thanks!

I'm constantly singing this part in my head lately:

"Draw another goblet

From the cask of '43

Crimson misty memory

Hazy glimpse of me

Give me back my wonder

I've something more to give

I guess it doesn't matter

There's not much more to live"

I think that is my part of the song, Part V. Bacchus Plateau.

By the way, anyone who didn't have to go thru the cassette days is so lucky! First off, they would wear out. Then you had to fast forward if you wanted to skip to a song, not to mention flipping the tape. Then I got a car stereo that would stop on the dead spots so you could fast forward to the next song, but that didn't always work. Then there was that inevitable time that a cassette would get stuck in the player. You'd then have to pry it out and rewind the tape into the cassette with a pencil!!! So if you never got to experience listening to music via cassettes...count yourself lucky! Even eight tracks and albums you could jump ahead to a song! Cassettes SUCKED! Not to mention the fact that you had to replace all your RUSH cassettes (and other bands obviously) with CDs! Man kids today are lucky! yes.gif

"Draw another goblet

From the cask of '43

Crimson misty memory

Hazy glimpse of me

Give me back my wonder

^ I cried to this once.

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Mar 9 2012, 02:17 AM)
"Draw another goblet
From the cask of '43
Crimson misty memory
Hazy glimpse of me
Give me back my wonder

^ I cried to this once.

It is deep and not really the normal "catchy and fun" lyric I find myself singing, but for some reason, I can't get it out of my head! I'm not complaining though!

I've been listening to CoS since 1976 but I didn't "get" the epics (Necromancer and TFOL) until about 10 or 12 years later when I was in my 20's. I never did get the whole epic track thing as a kid or a teenager, my attention span was about 4 minutes long (same can be said for maybe 90% of teenagers throughout the history of mankind).

The first time I understood The Fountain Of Lamneth and could take in the whole epic-ness of it, I was probably 20 or so, and high as a kite. Loved it ever since.

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 9 2012, 12:05 AM)

"Draw another goblet
From the cask of '43
Crimson misty memory
Hazy glimpse of me
Give me back my wonder

Heck yeah, Bacchus Plateau is fantastic. trink39.gif Having an up-tempo, catchy number following the eerie No One at the Bridge and the deceptively serene Panacea makes for an extremely awesome and intriguing ride.

The Necromancer is one of my favorite Rush tunes. I generally don't like to tell people what they "should" listen for in songs, but I think an appreciation for Alex's lead work is key to enjoying that one. He plays a bunch of solos in Necro, and they're all brilliant and quite different from one another (going from atmospheric to groove based to remarkably intense to emotionally triumphant).

Edited by Cyclonus X-1

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Mar 9 2012, 06:13 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 9 2012, 12:05 AM)

"Draw another goblet
From the cask of '43
Crimson misty memory
Hazy glimpse of me
Give me back my wonder

Heck yeah, Bacchus Plateau is fantastic. trink39.gif Having an up-tempo, catchy number following the eerie No One at the Bridge and the deceptively serene Panacea makes for an extremely awesome and intriguing ride.

The Necromancer is one of my favorite Rush tunes. I generally don't like to tell people what they "should" listen for in songs, but I think an appreciation for Alex's lead work is key to enjoying that one. He plays a bunch of solos in Necro, and they're all brilliant and quite different from one another (going from atmospheric to groove based to remarkably intense to emotionally triumphant).

goodpost.gif

It's not a bad song, and I'd certainly like to see them play at least some of it someday.

Only really excellent part is No One at The Bridge, which is fantastic.

P.S. when I first heard the voice at the very end of Diadects and Narpets I thought my CD player screwed up lol.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 22 2009, 04:01 PM)
Damn right it is! Lamneth AND Necromancer both kick serious ass. I love Caress. In fact, I'd put these epics over Hemispheres imo..

ohmy.gif

OH NO HE DI'NT!

tongue.gif

I would rank the Fountain of Lamneth the worst of the side length tracks but that doesn't mean it's bad, I still enjoy it every now and then. I don't think it has any connection to the Fountainhead book, but I hate that book so maybe I just don't want to see it if it is there (which it isn't biggrin.gif ). There are some beautiful sections in it although it's rather disjointed, I always liked

"My heart will lie beside you,

while my wandering body grieves"

And since I'm too lazy to look up a FAQ, what does the voice say at the end of Didacts and Narpets? I think this would be a hilarious WTF way to end a live show, much better than the Cygnus X-1 teaser they do that just makes me mad since I know they will never play Hemispheres again which would be the most awesome thing ever.

Edited by Apollo

To me it's a masterpiece on my favorite album of all time! Yeah, you read that right! I know this album used to get a lot of hate but in recent years I've noticed that people have softened on it a bit. It's slowly emerging!

I know I'm going to get heat for this but in my book all of their albums up to GUP are masterpieces. wacko.gif

Edited by skullchrist

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Sep 20 2009, 12:49 AM)
Sorry, but I think this song is totally over-rated. Really its a collection of songs with only 'In The Valley' and its reprise, 'The Fountain' connecting the whole work together. And serving as the opener and closer of TFOL, they are quite mediocre. No One At The Bridge and Bacchus Plateau are the only real genius on side two, but this is only a third of TFOL. The Necromancer needs a lot of work too. Don't get me wrong, I still dig these songs, but they simply don't come close to other epics like 2112, Xanadu, Hemispheres or La Villa Strangiato.

Totally agree with you. An extremely overrated Rush epic for sure.

No One At The Bridge is brilliant. And Alex's guitar solo is amazing on that one. That's all I really care to listen to on side two when I do rarely listen to COS (my lowest rated Rush album ever).

I love The Necromancer though sans the corny voice over. If that were not in the song it would be almost perfect. The Necromancer may be the most sinister metal jam Rush has ever recorded. Sick riffage.

QUOTE (Todem @ Mar 9 2012, 04:00 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Sep 20 2009, 12:49 AM)
Sorry, but I think this song is totally over-rated.  Really its a collection of songs with only 'In The Valley' and its reprise, 'The Fountain' connecting the whole work together.  And serving as the opener and closer of TFOL, they are quite mediocre.  No One At The Bridge and Bacchus Plateau are the only real genius on side two, but this is only a third of TFOL. The Necromancer needs a lot of work too.  Don't get me wrong, I still dig these songs, but they simply don't come close to other epics like 2112, Xanadu, Hemispheres or La Villa Strangiato.

Totally agree with you. An extremely overrated Rush epic for sure.

No One At The Bridge is brilliant. And Alex's guitar solo is amazing on that one. That's all I really care to listen to on side two when I do rarely listen to COS (my lowest rated Rush album ever).

I love The Necromancer though sans the corny voice over. If that were not in the song it would be almost perfect. The Necromancer may be the most sinister metal jam Rush has ever recorded. Sick riffage.

TFOL overrated? Really? Mostly people don't give it the love it deserves. You usually only hear about 2112 and Hemispheres. So while I can respect the fact that you don't like it, but to say it's overrated is just not accurate. If anything, it's VASTLY underrated!

Again, not saying your opinion is wrong on liking or disliking of the song but the statement that it's overrated, that I think is 100% incorrect, IMO.

I know I've probably made at least 100 posts on here throughout the years on the awesomeness of TFOL.

If I were a betting man (I'm not), I would wager a bunch that I could probably count on one hand the number of people on Earth that have listened to TFOL more than I.

Appologies in advance to those who love the Hokie Pokey (I am a Virginia Tech grad), but TFOL is REALLY what it's all about.

1287.gif common001.gif yes.gif 1022.gif tongue.gif cool.gif cool10.gif

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Sep 19 2009, 07:58 PM)
In case you didn't know, this song is AWESOME! I recently got into it, after not really listening to it for God knows how long. After first listen, I thought it was average. Never listened to it again. About a year later, I listened to it because it came after The Necromancer (which I had just finished listening to -- great track also, by the way), and I thought I'd give it another shot. Now I'm hooked! It's so good! Lerxst's guitar work is SO NICE on this song! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif AlexFinal.gif

In my book, it rivals Hemispheres and 2112 for the best side-long epic! 1022.gif trink39.gif

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell is going on in your signature picture.

"Many journeys end here,

but the secret's told the same.

Life is just the candle,

and a dream must give it flame"

Wow, now that's what I call lyrics! trink38.gif

QUOTE (skullchrist @ Mar 9 2012, 01:01 PM)
To me it's a masterpiece on my favorite album of all time! Yeah, you read that right! I know this album used to get a lot of hate but in recent years I've noticed that people have softened on it a bit. It's slowly emerging!

I know I'm going to get heat for this but in my book all of their albums up to GUP are masterpieces. wacko.gif

Skullchrist,

You are preaching to the choir. Couldn't agree more with a couple of exceptions (I don't consider the debut album and Signals masterpieces. They are simply great albums)

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Mar 9 2012, 10:48 PM)
I know I've probably made at least 100 posts on here throughout the years on the awesomeness of TFOL.

If I were a betting man (I'm not), I would wager a bunch that I could probably count on one hand the number of people on Earth that have listened to TFOL more than I.

Appologies in advance to those who love the Hokie Pokey (I am a Virginia Tech grad), but TFOL is REALLY what it's all about.

1287.gif common001.gif yes.gif 1022.gif tongue.gif cool.gif cool10.gif

Come to think of it, I think it was you who I referenced when I revived this thread to talk about TFOL. I think you posted something about it and I thought "I haven't listened to that in a while". And like I said, RUSH songs and albums are like old friends that you sometimes haven't seen in a while, but when you see them, it's like you haven't missed a beat! Same with RUSH! You might forget about TFOL for a while and then you see a post by someone, (I really think it was yours that inspired me to listen to it again) and you fall right back in love!

TFOL is truly one of RUSH's most amazing pieces of music, IMO.

trink39.gif

2.gif