Fountain Of Lamneth

Show Don't Tell

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Panacea is a really great moment that no one talks about. I love the entire song with the exception of Didacts & Narpets. Just a stupid idea that could've been executed better.

I wonder why they disowned this song so heavily after CoS. Usually when a band releases a 20 minute song, it's a major achievement in a band's career, especially considering this was their first. But it's like it never even existed.

I'd like to see No One At The Bridge put into a medley as an instrumental. That solo is incredible, as is the overall vibe of the song.

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 9 2012, 02:05 AM)
I got into RUSH after seeing the Presto concert. After that concert, the first album I bought was Presto, then Moving Pictures, then every album, studio and live, that was available. After about 6 months my least favorite albums were Caress of Steel and the debut. I liked CoS, especially side one, but the Necromancer put me off, although I did get high to it several times...but it freaked me out on more than one occasion! cool10.gif I didn't mind The Fountain of Lamneth, but because it was cassettes in those days, it was hard to just jump to the songs you wanted to hear. So I tended to not listen to side two of CoS.

That said, about a year into my journey with RUSH where I had a grasp of all the albums, what songs were on them, I revisited CoS and I became a HUGE fan of side two, The Necromancer and The Fountain of Lamneth.

So over the years since, I have listened to it from time to time but admittedly not as much as the other albums, the exception being the debut which is my least favorite if I had to rank them.

Well the other day, on some thread, someone mentioned The Fountain of Lamneth and I decided to listen to it again. So for about the last 4 days, I have been mainly listening to it and just loving it all over again. The changes are just so amazing. I can't get enough of it right now. I'm gonna do the same with Necromancer, it's just a matter of time.

But that is what is so cool about RUSH. It's kinda like having a bunch of old friends that you may not see for a while, but when you do, it's like you never missed a beat. As much as I know this and have had these moments with so many different albums and songs over the years, it never fails to happen every so often. You just think, I haven't heard that one in a while, and you may think, I'm not really "In The Mood" (sorry) to listen to that, but you do, and it's like the first time you really "got it".

Anyway, whoever it was that recently mentioned The Fountain of Lamneth in some thread...thanks!

I'm constantly singing this part in my head lately:

"Draw another goblet
From the cask of '43
Crimson misty memory
Hazy glimpse of me
Give me back my wonder
I've something more to give
I guess it doesn't matter
There's not much more to live"

I think that is my part of the song, Part V. Bacchus Plateau.

By the way, anyone who didn't have to go thru the cassette days is so lucky! First off, they would wear out. Then you had to fast forward if you wanted to skip to a song, not to mention flipping the tape. Then I got a car stereo that would stop on the dead spots so you could fast forward to the next song, but that didn't always work. Then there was that inevitable time that a cassette would get stuck in the player. You'd then have to pry it out and rewind the tape into the cassette with a pencil!!! So if you never got to experience listening to music via cassettes...count yourself lucky! Even eight tracks and albums you could jump ahead to a song! Cassettes SUCKED! Not to mention the fact that you had to replace all your RUSH cassettes (and other bands obviously) with CDs! Man kids today are lucky! yes.gif

As I have been rediscovering TFOL, I kept thinking all along that the original cassette had The Necromancer AND TFOL on side 2. So as I was looking at the track list on my computer, how I've been listening to it lately, I realized that the Necromancer was the last song on side 1 and TFOL was the only song on side 2! I can't believe nobody ripped me on that one! Anyway, I wanted to correct my error in my post above. oops.gif

Thank God we don't have cassettes anymore, and I know some will disagree, but thank God we don't have to listen to records anymore either!

One of the things that makes this song so incredible is the sound. The balance of instruments is perfect but to me, this is one of Alex's finest recorded sounds ever. The clean sound of his guitar is definitive to what a Gibson should sound like on record. Again, for me. Also, when he gets the crunch happening the separation between notes is flawless. Crisp and clean even with dirt. The first time I heard this song this became my favorite album for about a year. It still comes out quite often on a rainy night with a glass of the pure.

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 9 2012, 11:39 PM)
[/quote]
Come to think of it, I think it was you who I referenced when I revived this thread to talk about TFOL. I think you posted something about it and I thought "I haven't listened to that in a while". And like I said, RUSH songs and albums are like old friends that you sometimes haven't seen in a while, but when you see them, it's like you haven't missed a beat! Same with RUSH! You might forget about TFOL for a while and then you see a post by someone, (I really think it was yours that inspired me to listen to it again) and you fall right back in love!

TFOL is truly one of RUSH's most amazing pieces of music, IMO.

trink39.gif

2.gif

Ahh... I got a nice warm fuzzy feeling. I will drink a shot of bourbon right now in your honor.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Mar 10 2012, 11:45 AM)
One of the things that makes this song so incredible is the sound. The balance of instruments is perfect but to me, this is one of Alex's finest recorded sounds ever. The clean sound of his guitar is definitive to what a Gibson should sound like on record. Again, for me. Also, when he gets the crunch happening the separation between notes is flawless. Crisp and clean even with dirt. The first time I heard this song this became my favorite album for about a year. It still comes out quite often on a rainy night with a glass of the pure.

Totally agree with the crispness and overall sonic output of the album. I'm not sure if it is Terry Brown to get the credit for that, but it is amazing. To listen to it properly, it should be played on vinyl.

I remember back when I first got COS when I was like 12~13...I thought it was SO COOL that in the Fountain, during the main musical theme intro.....you know...the "Dada Da ~da~da~da~da~da~Da ~Daaa" part, Alex's guitar has a medium~like gain with light chorus......

But, when that same musical theme returns toward the end, it's got a mean phase~shifter effect added. Whoa, deep, man...LOL!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Mar 10 2012, 08:00 PM)

Come to think of it, I think it was you who I referenced when I revived this thread to talk about TFOL. I think you posted something about it and I thought "I haven't listened to that in a while". And like I said, RUSH songs and albums are like old friends that you sometimes haven't seen in a while, but when you see them, it's like you haven't missed a beat! Same with RUSH! You might forget about TFOL for a while and then you see a post by someone, (I really think it was yours that inspired me to listen to it again) and you fall right back in love!

TFOL is truly one of RUSH's most amazing pieces of music, IMO.

trink39.gif

2.gif [/quote]
Ahh... I got a nice warm fuzzy feeling. I will drink a shot of bourbon right now in your honor.

I think you will get another warm fuzzy feeling after that shot of bourbon! laugh.gif

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Mar 10 2012, 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Mar 10 2012, 11:45 AM)

Totally agree with the crispness and overall sonic output of the album. I'm not sure if it is Terry Brown to get the credit for that, but it is amazing. To listen to it properly, it should be played on vinyl.

100% in agreement there. I think Mr. Brown does deserve a lot of credit there as well. Caress will be on my turntable tonight.

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Sep 19 2009, 08:24 PM)
I was flicking through the channels today and 'Dirty Dancing' with Patrick Swayze was playing.

There is a restaurant scene in the movie where this character named Neil Kellerman (played by Lonnie Price) that likes Frances 'Baby' Houseman (played by Jennifer Grey) attempts to give her a copy of the book 'The Fountainhead' by Ayn Rand and then she pours a pitcher of water on him. She realizes how much of a jerk he is.

The Fountain of Lamneth probably was inspired by 'The Fountainhead' book.

I don't think that's it at all. Fountainhead is about architecture, not eternal life

This song, and the album it's on, have done the most growing on me of any Rush song/album. What really made Fountain click was 1) being told/realizing what the metaphor is and 2) using it to cope with a high number of deaths of loved ones this winter. I was doing a lot of reflecting on lives and death, got the song stuck in my head for several months, and came out with a huge appreciation for and attachment to it.

I hear a lot of complaints about how disjointed it is, but the transition between life stages is often jarring, so for me, it's appropriate that it doesn't just flow perfectly. I don't know if this is by design or not, but it absolutely fits the subject matter, in my experience.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Mar 10 2012, 07:47 AM)
I wonder why they disowned this song so heavily after CoS. Usually when a band releases a 20 minute song, it's a major achievement in a band's career, especially considering this was their first. But it's like it never even existed.

I'd like to see No One At The Bridge put into a medley as an instrumental. That solo is incredible, as is the overall vibe of the song.

If you haven't already, track down the Newcastle 1977 bootleg and listen to By-Tor segueing to the last half of the Necromancer. It's absolutely fantastic and it really annoys me that Rush haven't ever done it since.

QUOTE (Godot @ Mar 11 2012, 09:09 AM)
QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Sep 19 2009, 08:24 PM)
I was flicking through the channels today and 'Dirty Dancing' with Patrick Swayze was playing.

There is a restaurant scene in the movie where this character named Neil Kellerman (played by Lonnie Price) that likes Frances 'Baby' Houseman (played by Jennifer Grey) attempts to give her a copy of the book 'The Fountainhead' by Ayn Rand and then she pours a pitcher of water on him. She realizes how much of a jerk he is.

The Fountain of Lamneth probably was inspired by 'The Fountainhead' book.

I don't think that's it at all. Fountainhead is about architecture, not eternal life

It's also about thinking different, and being battled for doing it...

tfol is awesome! i am sick and tired of people saying caress of steel is an underrated album. it is pure genius! tongue.gif smile.gif 2.gif