Why Are Rush So Secretive???

presto123

The thought just hit me that they have always kind of been that way. Other bands will post an almost weekly update of what their plans are and what they have coming up and how progress is going. If if Rush have been writing new material we would find out waaay after the fact. Kind of annoying but does that add to the mystique of the band?

Hmmm, if Rush were starting out today, maybe they would do the constant updates but I think they honestly are still not sure about where and when to start writing and recording for the next album. Can't really post a news update if there's no news to report.

Most other bands are just starting out and trying to get as much exposure as possible. Rush has been established for over 30 years, so they're not trying to impress anyone. It's why they can take a 5 year break and come back as strong as ever. Not many other bands could get away with that.

QUOTE (Victoria's Ladder @ Sep 18 2009, 01:19 PM)
QUOTE (librarian @ Sep 18 2009, 01:15 PM)
I like the element of suprise smile.gif

Same as I.

Same here. I loved hearing about S&A after it was mostly done. It was like, 'OHMANTOURCOMINGUPNEWALBUMFREAKOUT!!!' I could barely breathe =P If I'd heard about it a year before time, it wouldn't've been as exciting.

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Sep 18 2009, 04:17 PM)
Why does it matter?

It doesn't, but in this age of facebook, text massaging, twitter, and God knows what else to come, I can see why some would wonder why there's not alot more disclosure. However, compared to most other bands, Rush has never been all that forth-coming to begin with... no.gif

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Sep 18 2009, 05:26 PM)
Why does it matter?

It doesn't, but in this age of facebook, text massaging, twitter, and God knows what else to come, I can see why some would wonder why there's not alot more disclosure. However, compared to most other bands, Rush has never been all that forth-coming to begin with... no.gif

True, but up until the late 80's, they were either touring or recording. Not much time to be doing their own PR.

QUOTE (troutman @ Sep 18 2009, 06:59 PM)
It's all one big conspiracy. unsure.gif ph34r.gif

um, fish much? lol

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Sep 18 2009, 05:26 PM)
Why does it matter?

i actually never wonder why there isnt more disclosure. I'll know when I know.

The world has become sort of instant gratification and news, so I'm guessing younger fans expect a certain behavior from their favorite bands.

RUSH is old school...and i'm glad of that. smile.gif

If we find out

OOH Rush is writing a song!

OOH Rush is recording a song!

OOH Rush is re-recording that song....

good lord, no thanks! LOL How bout this?...

Hey fans! we've been in the studio, recorded an album, tour starts in the spring, tix on sale NOW...GO!

I just don't think there obsessed with there future like there fans are. They are 50+ men who have families and probably don't think nearly as much about Rush as the fans do. When the time comes, we will get a new album and a big ol tour.

I think it's all of the above, as well as two other factors:

I believe they are truly humble, and aren't all the comfortable with being overly communicative about their efforts.

I also believe that they are a bit uncomfortable with the degree to which some fans worship them, and as a result of that, they tend to pull back a bit.

Just a guess tho'.....

I'm kind of glad they don't post frequent updates, as it would be discouraging. When we DO hear an update from them regarding the state of their music, we know it means something.

Otherwise it would be:

July 1st - we continue to recover from our last tour and have no idea when we'll record again.

August 1st - we continue to recover from our last tour and have no idea when we'll record again.

September 1st - we continue to recover from our last tour and have no idea when we'll record again.

October 1st - while we continue to recover from our last tour and have no idea when we'll record again, one day last week one of us thought vaguely about recording again before we reverted back to recovering from the our last tour and having no idea when we'll record again.

sarcasm.gif

Rush has always been more private in their personal lives... You don't really see them in trade magazines or newspapers (except for the occassional Florida arrest or a feature in a wine magazine).

I like it that way.

They aren't really 'Rock Stars' in the iconic way, moreover seem like regular guys who are incredibly talented. I don't really need to know what they are up to or get usual updates... Just let me know when new material or tours are coming so I can plan for it...

Many of the other bands that my daughter follows (30 Seconds to Mars, Kill Hannah, etc.) seem to think the fans need lifestyle updates and the like. I'm not sure I need to know every time Lerxst goes golfing or when Ged is out at the Jays game. Heck, if I wanna know that I just go online to the fan boards like this one... lol

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 20 2009, 03:38 AM)
I'm kind of glad they don't post frequent updates, as it would be discouraging. When we DO hear an update from them regarding the state of their music, we know it means something.

Otherwise it would be:

July 1st - we continue to recover from our last tour and have no idea when we'll record again.

August 1st - we continue to recover from our last tour and have no idea when we'll record again.

September 1st - we continue to recover from our last tour and have no idea when we'll record again.

October 1st - while we continue to recover from our last tour and have no idea when we'll record again, one day last week one of us thought vaguely about recording again before we reverted back to recovering from the our last tour and having no idea when we'll record again.

sarcasm.gif

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Synthetic @ Sep 21 2009, 06:54 AM)
Rush has always been more private in their personal lives... You don't really see them in trade magazines or newspapers (except for the occassional Florida arrest or a feature in a wine magazine).

I like it that way.

They aren't really 'Rock Stars' in the iconic way, moreover seem like regular guys who are incredibly talented. I don't really need to know what they are up to or get usual updates... Just let me know when new material or tours are coming so I can plan for it...

Many of the other bands that my daughter follows (30 Seconds to Mars, Kill Hannah, etc.) seem to think the fans need lifestyle updates and the like. I'm not sure I need to know every time Lerxst goes golfing or when Ged is out at the Jays game. Heck, if I wanna know that I just go online to the fan boards like this one... lol

And like what a few others have touched on... musicians of today kind of grew up in the computer age. And that information is constant, it's what the fans expect and the computer age has kind of made things more competitive and IMO created more fair-weather music fans. So, today's pop musicians need to be more aggressive with updates and such to grab fan attention. Rush has a fan-base that has been around for 30+ years. They don't need to grab our attention.

Archived