Why Neil is how he is with fans

Earthshine

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 11 2009, 09:52 PM)
Neil's an intellectual, this is true.  So, he looks down on all of us who are not choosing to live their lives in accordance with the dictates of one Ayn Rand.

The hell?

You're starting to look like one of those music critics that thinks Rush still does 20-minute songs about black holes. The Randian semi-obsession was in the 70's, he's publicly backed away from it since then.

And what on earth gave you the impression that he "looks down" on fans because he's an "intellectual"?

I'm being silly, silly. As in 'not serious'. I thought that the 'ass burgers' were a dead give away. lol. And, who are you to say that the 20-minute 'black hole' epics have been taken out of the Rush Songbook for good? You don't know that....Cue up the mixed-measure fade-in bass part at the start of Cygnus X-1....Hells yeah....You just lookin' for a fight there, fella? 'Cause I'll put up my dukes...

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ May 12 2009, 01:09 AM)
Lerxt1990 wins this thread.

rofl3.gif

I would think this would be stunningly obvious to say, but:

Why does anyone give a shit what Neil Peart is like personally? Neil owes us nothing. We owe him our thanks for 35 years of great music. Thanks, Neil! biggrin.gif

I don't know about anyone else, but I listen to Rush for their music, and their music is awesome. That's more than enough for me. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 12 2009, 06:32 AM)

Why does anyone give a shit what Neil Peart is like personally? Neil owes us nothing. We owe him our thanks for 35 years of great music. Thanks, Neil! biggrin.gif

I don't know about anyone else, but I listen to Rush for their music, and their music is awesome. That's more than enough for me. yes.gif

goodpost.gif

exactly what I was trying to say. I would be pissed too if someone wanted to know everything about me. Especially when I don't owe them anything. He plays great music that we all love and he gets paid for it. Just like you do your job and get payed for it.

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ May 12 2009, 10:30 AM)

Why does anyone give a shit what Neil Peart is like personally?  Neil owes us nothing.  We owe him our thanks for 35 years of great music.  Thanks, Neil! biggrin.gif

I don't know about anyone else, but I listen to Rush for their music, and their music is awesome.  That's more than enough for me. yes.gif

exactly what I was trying to say. I would be pissed too if someone wanted to know everything about me. Especially when I don't owe them anything. He plays great music that we all love and he gets paid for it. Just like you do your job and get payed for it.

Let's take the extreme example of Syd Barrett. He was in Pink Floyd at the beginning and made some solo albums. He is now considered a legend, but he became increasingly mentally unbalanced, and around 1970 he became a recluse and refused to talk to anyone about his musical career (or pretty much anything) for decades until he died a couple of years back.

I have never heard any fans talk about him and say, oh what a rude bastard asshole for dissing his fans for so many years.

Neil has written lyrics and played music on many, many albums. He's even written several books about himself and has given plenty of interviews. What more do people want? To cuddle with him and spoon him? Jeez, get over it already... wacko.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 12 2009, 07:32 AM)

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 12 2009, 01:43 PM)

Why does anyone give a shit what Neil Peart is like personally?  Neil owes us nothing.  We owe him our thanks for 35 years of great music.  Thanks, Neil! biggrin.gif

I don't know about anyone else, but I listen to Rush for their music, and their music is awesome.  That's more than enough for me. yes.gif

Let's take the extreme example of Syd Barrett. He was in Pink Floyd at the beginning and made some solo albums. He is now considered a legend, but he became increasingly mentally unbalanced, and around 1970 he became a recluse and refused to talk to anyone about his musical career (or pretty much anything) for decades until he died a couple of years back.

I have never heard any fans talk about him and say, oh what a rude bastard asshole for dissing his fans for so many years.

Neil has written lyrics and played music on many, many albums. He's even written several books about himself and has given plenty of interviews. What more do people want? To cuddle with him and spoon him? Jeez, get over it already... wacko.gif

rofl3.gif

I can think of a few people right now that would want to do that!!!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 12 2009, 12:43 PM)
What more do people want? To cuddle with him and spoon him?

Yes. And the problem with that is...?

So you agree then, that Neil has been mentally unbalanced all these years?

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ May 12 2009, 01:54 PM)

rofl3.gif

I can think of a few people right now that would want to do that!!!

I for one wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating cookies and spilling crumbs.

QUOTE (Pags @ May 12 2009, 11:15 AM)

So you agree then, that Neil has been mentally unbalanced all these years?

comp26.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 12 2009, 12:43 PM)

And you, somehow, find a parallel to Neil Peart in the story of Syd Barrett? The two storylines are irreconcilable. Irreconcilable differences, my friend. For Syd, it was the ass-syd that did him in. Well, that, combined with probably a pre-existing chemical imbalance...perhaps, schizo. Right? That's what made him retreat into a shell..built himself a WALL. But, how does that relate to the story of physically and mentally healthy drummer from Ontario? Unless, you're seeing a parallel between the ass-syd and the ass-burgers. Is that what yer doing, son? Or, do you harbor hidden fantasies of spooning with Neil? C'mon, fess up.

why the fu*k is this thread 13 pages ??? it should have not made it past 1 page. dumb topic

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 12 2009, 09:18 PM)
Neil is a dick.

My avatar explains his reaction to that comment.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 5 2009, 09:43 AM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 5 2009, 03:41 AM)
Just was musing about possibly why Neil is how he is with fans, when so many other musicians are nice and friendly with their fans (signing things, taking pictures, meet & greets, etc.).

Please don't take offense to any of this. Just some thoughts:

He is extremely shy - If you have read any of Neil's books, it is obvious he has always been very shy and somewhat introverted. Sounds like he has always chosen the company he keeps very carefully. Therefore, he is not likely to be so open to complete strangers.

He is not into the whole "rock star" trip - Not that others (such as Alex and Geddy who are not) necessarily are, but I think that Neil really feels that what he does is no different than or no more special than what others do (though many of us think otherwise!). For him to be put on some kind of pedestal is very embarrassing to him.

He has learned from the mistakes of others - Rush toured with many bands in the 70's and 80's and even 90's. Especially in the early tours when Rush started out, Alex, Geddy and Neil saw how other bands dealt with it all. Partying all night, drinking heavily, drugs, groupies, jamming after hours, smashing up hotels, getting in fights with each other and other people, arguing with each other, letting it all go to their heads...Rush wanted no part of it. Look where those other bands wound up either personally, musically or both. Look how Rush has wound up. Enough said.

He does not like being followed or "stalked" - Again, from reading his books, he has had some very close calls with this. People following him, looking in his hotel room window, people he does not know sending things to his room and even some who have actually gotten on his bus!

He feels it is all UNREAL - As Limelight says. To him, posing for photos with people he does not know gives him the impression they think they "know" him. I don't agree necessarily with this, but it is how he feels I would guess and then some! Talking to people who act like they "know" him is very embarrassing and phony for him. Again, I don't necessarily agree with his point of view, but again that's Neil. We have to respect him.

From all I have read and heard, when one meets Neil on a genuine basis you could not ask for a nicer, down to earth person. I am just happy he is still playing with Rush after all he has been through and has come out of it all alive and well. And is happy.  smile.gif

NeilFinal.gif

goodpost.gif applaudit.gif

Of course you'll never convince the people who get off on hating him, but still it's a great post. yes.gif

And regardless, as far as I'm concerned NEIL OWES US NOTHING. He's the best rock drummer in the best rock band in the world who have given us great music for decades.

If anything WE OWE HIM our thanks, which we do by buying their albums and merchandise and seeing their tours. One could even make the argument that Neil has been the most open by even writing books about his life.

For some though, that'll never be enough - they want his soul too, or to judge how and why he does things the way he does them, or to unfairly compare him to Geddy & Alex because he doesn't play the game the same way they do. I have no such requirements on him for me to appreciate what he does.

Very well said, both of you.

Coming from a completely non-professional point of view (and I'm not trying to compare myself with Neil, here)....I am a performer, I sing on the occasion with the band my father plays in, and have been told more than a few times that I have a wonderful voice....but I completely feel for Neil. I am very uncomfortable with people - complete strangers or even peers in the local industry - coming up to me when I've come off the stage (or outside having a smoke when I used to smoke), telling me what I great job I did, some asking for autographs - never pictures thankfully lol....but I don't know what to say to them...it's just awkward for me. I perform because I truly enjoy performing...it's more for myself than it is for fame or praise....I dunno. Just my 2 cents.

Archived