Why Neil is how he is with fans

Earthshine

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This shouldn't be a question of whether or not Neil is a dick. The majority of human beings are dicks in one way or another. How could one consider Neil to be a dick without acknowledging that you yourself are a dick? You need to be a dick to consider someone else to be a dick.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jan 9 2009, 10:26 AM)
This shouldn't be a question of whether or not Neil is a dick. The majority of human beings are dicks in one way or another. How could one consider Neil to be a dick without acknowledging that you yourself is a dick? You need to be a dick to consider someone else to be a dick.

laugh.gif

Stop dicking around. yes.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 9 2009, 01:05 PM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jan 9 2009, 01:50 PM)
Alright this conversation has become silly.

I think youre being to hardon the people talking in this thread.

rimshot.gif

z7shysterical.gif

I'm willing to accept the fact that Neil might just be an asshole. There are lots of assholes in this world and why should it be that just because we revere and idolize him he's not an asshole?

Does anybody remember the Lambchop show?

*sings* this is the thread that never dies..yes it goes on and on my friend..this is the thread that never dies..someone started it a long long time ago not knowing what it was and now we'll keep posting it because we've got nothing better to do..this is the thread that never dies..

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (baxtrice @ Jan 9 2009, 07:18 PM)

*sings* this is the thread that never dies..yes it goes on and on my friend..this is the thread that never dies..someone started it a long long time ago not knowing what it was and now we'll keep posting it because we've got nothing better to do..this is the thread that never dies..

rofl3.gif

It's the topic that never dies.

QUOTE (baxtrice @ Jan 9 2009, 06:18 PM)

rofl3.gif

goodpost.gif z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Jan 10 2009, 10:04 PM)
No deeper meanings to Neil's works at all.

That's not what I'm saying. I'll the be the first to tell you that Neil's lyrics are VERY deep.

But if you knew anything about Rush you'd know about their commitment to maintaining personal and artistic integrity. It's not only a recurring lyrical theme in their songs, it's how they work and live their personal lives. It's the very essence of Rush. But here you have Neil taking lyrical advice from some higher-ups in "the establishment," in a cynical attempt to become more popular. Bullshit; it would never happen.

Perhaps worse: you've equated humanitarianism, environmentalism, and globalism with some kind of mainstream "establishment" politics. But since when did the "establishment" care about human rights, the environment, or countries beyond their own borders? It's always been suppression of human rights, disconcern for the environment, and pro-nationalism for them... exactly the things that Neil writes against.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 11 2009, 02:58 AM)
QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Jan 10 2009, 10:04 PM)
No deeper meanings to Neil's works at all.

But here you have Neil taking lyrical advice from some higher-ups in "the establishment," in a cynical attempt to become more popular. Bullshit; it would never happen.

I don't think that's exactly what he meant. I think maybe he meant the establishment was "encouraging" him to stop inciting the masses, causing trouble, etc. Maybe something about death threats. Maybe. Extreme conspiracy paranoia here.

Maybe some secret initiation when one reaches a certain income bracket. Maybe Neil got a lecture that he shouldn't be saying certain things. I think these are the things the poster was referring to.

Archived