Why Neil is how he is with fans

Earthshine

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 5 2009, 10:08 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 5 2009, 10:24 PM)
That's mainly because I can no longer relate to his lyrics

Why?

he has faith in faith......and he believes in belief........

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 5 2009, 10:37 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 5 2009, 03:15 PM)
Who cares...why don't we have threads about why Geddy wears glasses and why Alex is bald? None of this matters.

Not so fast there. We've had both, or versions of, anyway, and not that long ago. Some were locked (rightfully so) or just dropped into oblivion after the original poster got a raft of shit about making stupid threads (again, rightfully so).

Right now there is a thread about Alex's weight. Jebus.

Not again! Didnt we go through the "Alex's fingers look like sausages" thread about a year or two ago? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Broncos730 @ Jan 5 2009, 01:19 PM)
QUOTE (Atomic @ Jan 5 2009, 12:09 PM)
QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jan 5 2009, 12:00 PM)
Back in the early 80s (sometime between Signals and GUP) Neil was riding his bike around Sunnybrook Park here in Toronto, I came up beside him and started telling him about how great he is and how great Rush are.

I asked him to autograph my bike but he wouldn't stop and he tried to ride away from me but I was in pretty good shape back then and kept up with him. I asked him again but the prick wouldn't stop so I kicked out at his rear tire and he wiped out.

After he got up I asked him to please sign my bike but the jerk told me to fvckoff! What an @sshole. As I rode off I told him Tommy Lee, the drummer for this new band Motley Crue, would be the best drummer in the world for years to come and people would be like, 'Neil who?' And I was right-- Tommy has his own TV show now.

Hang on... you chase him demanding something he said he doesn't want to give you, you make him crash his bicycle, kiss the pavement, risking bodily harm and certain road rash... he tells you to effe off ...

and HE'S the A$$HOLE????

If this story is true, you sir, are the A$$HOLE. You're lucky he didn't sue your sorry butt into oblivian and are likely exactly why he has become so reclusive.

You must be a troll or a moron (or both).

Somehow I think he's pulling your leg..

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Who me? angel.gif

The way I've always seen it is this:

I'm a person, as is Neil. It just so happens that he plays the drums for a world famous rock band. Does that really make him any different than the rest of us? No, it doesn't. If the guy wants to be left alone, then by all means, leave him alone. Is it really going to effect your life that much if you meet him? Somehow, I doubt it would.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 5 2009, 08:43 AM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 5 2009, 03:41 AM)
Just was musing about possibly why Neil is how he is with fans, when so many other musicians are nice and friendly with their fans (signing things, taking pictures, meet & greets, etc.).

Please don't take offense to any of this. Just some thoughts:

He is extremely shy - If you have read any of Neil's books, it is obvious he has always been very shy and somewhat introverted. Sounds like he has always chosen the company he keeps very carefully. Therefore, he is not likely to be so open to complete strangers.

He is not into the whole "rock star" trip - Not that others (such as Alex and Geddy who are not) necessarily are, but I think that Neil really feels that what he does is no different than or no more special than what others do (though many of us think otherwise!). For him to be put on some kind of pedestal is very embarrassing to him.

He has learned from the mistakes of others - Rush toured with many bands in the 70's and 80's and even 90's. Especially in the early tours when Rush started out, Alex, Geddy and Neil saw how other bands dealt with it all. Partying all night, drinking heavily, drugs, groupies, jamming after hours, smashing up hotels, getting in fights with each other and other people, arguing with each other, letting it all go to their heads...Rush wanted no part of it. Look where those other bands wound up either personally, musically or both. Look how Rush has wound up. Enough said.

He does not like being followed or "stalked" - Again, from reading his books, he has had some very close calls with this. People following him, looking in his hotel room window, people he does not know sending things to his room and even some who have actually gotten on his bus!

He feels it is all UNREAL - As Limelight says. To him, posing for photos with people he does not know gives him the impression they think they "know" him. I don't agree necessarily with this, but it is how he feels I would guess and then some! Talking to people who act like they "know" him is very embarrassing and phony for him. Again, I don't necessarily agree with his point of view, but again that's Neil. We have to respect him.

From all I have read and heard, when one meets Neil on a genuine basis you could not ask for a nicer, down to earth person. I am just happy he is still playing with Rush after all he has been through and has come out of it all alive and well. And is happy.  smile.gif

NeilFinal.gif

goodpost.gif applaudit.gif

Of course you'll never convince the people who get off on hating him, but still it's a great post. yes.gif

And regardless, as far as I'm concerned NEIL OWES US NOTHING. He's the best rock drummer in the best rock band in the world who have given us great music for decades.

If anything WE OWE HIM our thanks, which we do by buying their albums and merchandise and seeing their tours. One could even make the argument that Neil has been the most open by even writing books about his life.

For some though, that'll never be enough - they want his soul too, or to judge how and why he does things the way he does them, or to unfairly compare him to Geddy & Alex because he doesn't play the game the same way they do. I have no such requirements on him for me to appreciate what he does.

goodpost.gif To Goob's, and the original post.

I think this should all be obvious to anyone with eyes and a brain, but apparently not. They see him as stuck-up, and they demand more from him than the simple exchange: one CD's worth of quality music for small financial consideration, or, concert's worth of quality music and entertaining experience for large financial consideration. laugh.gif

These are business transactions: Rush gives us the music, we give them the money, end of transaction. Anything that the boys want to give us above and beyond that is gravy, and shouldn't be an expectation. When you buy a painting, do you expect dinner, drinks, and conversation with the artist?

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jan 5 2009, 11:14 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 5 2009, 10:08 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 5 2009, 10:24 PM)
That's mainly because I can no longer relate to his lyrics

Why?

he has faith in faith......and he believes in belief........

Well it goes beyond that. The lyric you cited has never even made sense to me. It "sounds" good, but it just doesn't work.

I don't think any celebrities are truly comfortable with some of the crazy crap they have to deal with. It's just plain weird if you're in that situation and I can't blame Neil or anyone else for being uncomfortable and dealing with it in their own way...

Celebrities from times past realized that media and overwhelming attention was part and parcel of being actors, musicians, etc...and often welcomed the attention.

I wonder why that has now changed.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jan 6 2009, 07:19 AM)
aww man...not this again! tongue.gif

Yep! Apparently Neil isn't living up to people's expectations again. Man, I sure wish he'd get it together and become the man that all his fans who've never met him want him to be! tongue.gif

I understand your points completely about taking the good with the bad, but at the end of the day I don't really see his behavior as unacceptable, just maybe incorrect to what people's expectations of public figures are. Another point is that some people are more sensitive to things than others. Our brains are all different, and some are much more sensitive to stress and anxiety. Maybe Neil is more sensitive in that way? In any case, we should walk in his shoes before we criticize him in that way. There may be more going on behind the scenes than we know about...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 6 2009, 09:42 AM)
aww man...not this again!  tongue.gif

Yep! Apparently Neil isn't living up to people's expectations again. Man, I sure wish he'd get it together and become the man that all his fans who've never met him want him to be! tongue.gif

yep, here i am defending neil tooth and nail again, goob... rage.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 6 2009, 09:40 AM)
Celebrities from times past realized that media and overwhelming attention was part and parcel of being actors, musicians, etc...and often welcomed the attention.

I wonder why that has now changed.

Wonder why that has changed? How about the internet? How about tabloids (and tabloid tv)? Now there are thousands of paparazzi that dont care if you are dead with your head cut off, they just want the shot to sell.

Back in the 50s+, there wasnt that type of blood lust and things seemed to be more controlled. Hell, poor old Billy Clinton couldnt even nail a chunky intern without millions of articles and pictures and court tv and yadda yadda yadda, and John F. could have Marilyn Monroe and John Sixpack was none the wiser.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jan 6 2009, 07:48 AM)
In any case, we should walk in his shoes before we criticize him in that way.

This is generally really good advice for everyone, including me. It's much easier to judge then to try and understand.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 6 2009, 09:59 AM)
actually, the 1950s was the decade when gossip columns and tabloids became so prevalent.

True but if the police wanted to keep something quiet it got kept quiet. Not any more. And with cameras everywhere, and ease of access to anything all the time (like a Rush web forum lol) its not the same.

All in all its fun to debate on here or with friends but, as long as he keeps doing what he is doing (writing and playing) I could care less what Neil is like in real life.

I, for one, no longer put Neil up on a pedestal and while it might be nice to meet him, it's not a big deal.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jan 5 2009, 10:44 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 5 2009, 09:37 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 5 2009, 03:15 PM)
Who cares...why don't we have threads about why Geddy wears glasses and why Alex is bald? None of this matters.

Not so fast there. We've had both, or versions of, anyway, and not that long ago. Some were locked (rightfully so) or just dropped into oblivion after the original poster got a raft of shit about making stupid threads (again, rightfully so).

Right now there is a thread about Alex's weight. Jebus.

Some people don't have much of a sense of humour either......and I'm not saying that you don't (don't take it personal).......most of those threads are not serious any in way, but just created to rev everyone up........but yeah, there are some ridiculous ones too........

Yeah...you guys are both right.

When I said "why don't we have threads about why Geddy wears glasses and why Alex is bald?", I was really just being sarcastic!

I totally agree with you WC...lots of the threads here are not meant to be taken seriously, and we should have fun with the ones that are hillarious.

However, whenever these "Neil is an a**hole" type threads appear, I honestly don't think they are meant to be funny. They are meant to ruffle feathers.

Everytime one of these threads appear, they usually bring in two types of people: 1) The ones who constantly crucify him and make him out to be a bad person for not being their best friend, and 2) Those who come in and defend him for having his own life and being himself.

Trust me...I'm as light-hearted as anyone. I just never look at these guys beyond their music. Yes, they are my favourite band, and if I ever got the chance to meet one or all of them, that would be awesome! But again...to me, the MUSIC is what matters most when we're talking 2.gif !

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jan 5 2009, 12:00 PM)
Back in the early 80s (sometime between Signals and GUP) Neil was riding his bike around Sunnybrook Park here in Toronto, I came up beside him and started telling him about how great he is and how great Rush are.

I asked him to autograph my bike but he wouldn't stop and he tried to ride away from me but I was in pretty good shape back then and kept up with him. I asked him again but the prick wouldn't stop so I kicked out at his rear tire and he wiped out.

After he got up I asked him to please sign my bike but the jerk told me to fvckoff! What an @sshole. As I rode off I told him Tommy Lee, the drummer for this new band Motley Crue, would be the best drummer in the world for years to come and people would be like, 'Neil who?' And I was right-- Tommy has his own TV show now.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 6 2009, 10:42 AM)
aww man...not this again!  tongue.gif

rofl3.gif

I don't believe thesame as NeilFinal.gif but I love the lyrics he's written. More so now than before. I think his previous writings were a little less connecting than now.

Archived