I feel sorry for you

ILSnwdog

I feel sorry for you if you are like the King Trolls of the Rush world. I don't mean to pick on KT, I think he is funny has hell, but he's just the easiest example to use. I feel sorry for any "Rush Fan" who feels Rush was done after Signals. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't get blown away by Marathon or Mystic Rhythms. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't get goosebumps from The Pass. I feel sorry for anyone who's hair doesn't stand up on the back of their neck when Alex breaks into the solo on the end of the live version of Bravado. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't recognize that Counterparts does some serious rocking. I feel sorry for anyone who can't appreciate the uplifting lyrics of Vapor Trails. And I especially feel sorry for any Rush fan who doesn't recognize the genius that is Snakes and Arrows.

So, when I see Rush fans who make comments in the "is Rush through" threads, I feel bad for you if you don't hear what I hear. I used to long for a return to the Terry Brown era sound...but at some point I came to the realization that if Rush never changed their sound they would have become what Aerosmith and AC/DC have become...a parody of themselves.

Hopefully all of you who still long for the Terry Brown days will make the same transformation that I did about 15 years ago. You're missing out on some awesome material. 1022.gif

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for Snakes and Arrows, I think it's great musically, but not so great lyrically. But that's just me.

I'm still a Rush fan, but my interest in their music continues to dwindle. In that sense, I think this has more to do with my interests changing, not the band changing.

I can't even say I have a favorite band anymore. My interests are going towards contemporary jazz, choral music, and various experimental bands.

But I'll continue buying their music because I still like it to some degree.

ILSnwdog, this is one of the best posts I've seen of this nature regarding this particular issue. Well-thought out! trink39.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Nov 3 2008, 11:12 AM)
I feel sorry for you if you are like the King Trolls of the Rush world. I don't mean to pick on KT, I think he is funny has hell, but he's just the easiest example to use. I feel sorry for any "Rush Fan" who feels Rush was done after Signals. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't get blown away by Marathon or Mystic Rhythms. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't get goosebumps from The Pass. I feel sorry for anyone who's hair doesn't stand up on the back of their neck when Alex breaks into the solo on the end of the live version of Bravado. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't recognize that Counterparts does some serious rocking. I feel sorry for anyone who can't appreciate the uplifting lyrics of Vapor Trails. And I especially feel sorry for any Rush fan who doesn't recognize the genius that is Snakes and Arrows.

So, when I see Rush fans who make comments in the "is Rush through" threads, I feel bad for you if you don't hear what I hear. I used to long for a return to the Terry Brown era sound...but at some point I came to the realization that if Rush never changed their sound they would have become what Aerosmith and AC/DC have become...a parody of themselves.
Hopefully all of you who still long for the Terry Brown days will make the same transformation that I did about 15 years ago. You're missing out on some awesome material. 1022.gif

Amazing ILS! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Well done!

2.gif 1022.gif 653.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Nov 3 2008, 02:12 PM)

goodpost.gif

'Nuff said! biggrin.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I agree. goodpost.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Nov 3 2008, 03:12 PM)

Couldn't have said it better! trink39.gif goodpost.gif

Great thread ILS!! 1022.gif Although Rush is and alway's will be my favorite band. I do not like everything they play, but I respect them so much regarding there talent and alway's trying new things. That's what has carried them so far to this point. Plus, they are one of the top live acts of all time!! 1022.gif I find myself listening to a certain album from a certain time depending on my mood. As much as I love there older material. Looking back, I am so glad they ventured into different styles of music and risking it all!! biggrin.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

This is a pointless thread. Why should you feel sorry for guys like me? You like Rush's newer material, I don't. Its that simple. I know in order for a band to survive they must evolve their sound. But it doesn't mean they have to evolve into crap. But 2.gif will record what they want to record. IF the fans like it that's good, if they don't then oh well as long as they like it. I don't frown upon Rush for making music that I don't like. Me not liking it is MY problem not theirs. I just wish they would make more then a halfway decent album. CP,T4E,VT and S&A have all been halfway decent albums. But nothing really specially. PW- RTB is just un-listenable IMO. everything before PW is the GOOD OLE 2.gif that I and many other Rush fans enjoy. So don't feel sorry for me. I have plenty of GOOD Rush albums to listen to.

I feel sorry for you if you are like the King Trolls of the Rush world.  I don't mean to pick on KT, I think he is funny has hell, but he's just the easiest example to use.  I feel sorry for any "Rush Fan" who feels Rush was done after Signals.  I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't get blown away by Marathon or Mystic Rhythms.  I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't get goosebumps from The Pass.  I feel sorry for anyone who's hair doesn't stand up on the back of their neck when Alex breaks into the solo on the end of the live version of Bravado.  I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't recognize that Counterparts does some serious rocking.  I feel sorry for anyone who can't appreciate the uplifting lyrics of Vapor Trails.  And I especially feel sorry for any Rush fan who doesn't recognize the genius that is Snakes and Arrows. 

So, when I see Rush fans who make comments in the "is Rush through" threads, I feel bad for you if you don't hear what I hear.  I used to long for a return to the Terry Brown era sound...but at some point I came to the realization that if Rush never changed their sound they would have become what Aerosmith and AC/DC have become...a parody of themselves. 
Hopefully all of you who still long for the Terry Brown days will make the same transformation that I did about 15 years ago.  You're missing out on some awesome material.  1022.gif

yes.gif trink39.gif goodpost.gif I feel sorry for those who are so totally stuck in the past that they make up their minds about new Rush releases before they even hear them. This "Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad" attitude is just plain sad. Some people seem to think that bashing the new Rush makes them look cool, like they know something the rest of us don't. To me it looks ignorant and narrow-minded, not cool. If, after giving the new material a fair chance you find that you still don't like it, fine, you're entitled to your opinion. Just don't dismiss the new material out of hand based solely on the fact that it's new.

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Nov 3 2008, 04:10 PM)
I feel sorry for you if you are like the King Trolls of the Rush world.  I don't mean to pick on KT, I think he is funny has hell, but he's just the easiest example to use.  I feel sorry for any "Rush Fan" who feels Rush was done after Signals.  I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't get blown away by Marathon or Mystic Rhythms.  I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't get goosebumps from The Pass.  I feel sorry for anyone who's hair doesn't stand up on the back of their neck when Alex breaks into the solo on the end of the live version of Bravado.  I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't recognize that Counterparts does some serious rocking.  I feel sorry for anyone who can't appreciate the uplifting lyrics of Vapor Trails.  And I especially feel sorry for any Rush fan who doesn't recognize the genius that is Snakes and Arrows. 

So, when I see Rush fans who make comments in the "is Rush through" threads, I feel bad for you if you don't hear what I hear.  I used to long for a return to the Terry Brown era sound...but at some point I came to the realization that if Rush never changed their sound they would have become what Aerosmith and AC/DC have become...a parody of themselves. 
Hopefully all of you who still long for the Terry Brown days will make the same transformation that I did about 15 years ago.  You're missing out on some awesome material.  1022.gif

yes.gif trink39.gif goodpost.gif I feel sorry for those who are so totally stuck in the past that they make up their minds about new Rush releases before they even hear them. This "Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad" attitude is just plain sad.

Yeah, that would be bad- at least hold out some hope that they can pull out something really great, you never know. Though I prefer the older material, I do not wish for them to replicate that sound, but to create something that I can appreciate almost as much (don't really expect them to ever match or surpass those works). I've been most disappointed with the concept and lyrics of recent albums and how they fit with the music, it feels somewhat awkward. If they can improve on that in the future I'd be happy - not going back 20 yrs.

I don't feel sorry for people who think Rush died after as recording band Signals. I don't feel sorry for me, I don't feel sorry for anyone. Just think what Rush achieved with their first six albums, that would have been enough for any band's career, and then came Permanent Waves, Most of MP, and swathes of Signals, to put the icing on the cake. No band can keep up that level of excellence, and Rush didn't. Ideally they should now just be trading as a Nostalgia band, nostalgia sells, the past was a better place.

It's like Mrs Troll was once a damn fine looking specimen, but now she's well eroded, and that doesn't stop me having some sort of feelings for her - hatred and loathing mainly.

I only feel pity for those who think there is anything in the second half of Rush's career that's the equal of anything from the first half. There's only so much creative juice in the tanks peeps.

FWIW I still look forward to Rush releases after all these years. How hopes can be so cruelly dashed.................

ALL RUSH ALBUMS ARE EQUAL SOME ARE A LOT MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

QUOTE (King Troll @ Nov 3 2008, 04:54 PM)

It's like Mrs Troll was once a damn fine looking specimen, but now she's well eroded, and that doesn't stop me having some sort of feelings for her - hatred and loathing mainly.

I'm sorry, but knowing what I know of King Troll, I found this to be just too effing funny. rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

KT, you have made me spit all over my monitor!

Archived