Bonham vs Peart

MMCXII

Saying drummer A is better than drummer B is like saying at the Olympics that 100m sprinter A is better than sprinter B (jamaican sprinters aside. wink.gif ).

THey're all at about the same level, it's just variances in music type, style and personal preference that sets them apart for people.

Peart is my fave rock drummer closely followed by Copeland and Bruford. For me, the other two in the equasion don't even factor for me cuz I'm not a big fan of either's group of fame.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like my choice changed to Meg White. ph34r.gif bolt.gif

edited for grammatical errors

QUOTE (Atomic @ Sep 26 2008, 02:41 PM)
Saying drummer A is better than drummer B is like saying at the Olympics that 100m sprinter A is better than sprinter B (jamaican sprinters aside. wink.gif ).

THey're all at about the same level, it's just variances in music type, style and personal preference that sets them apart for people.

Peart is my fave rock drummer closely followed by Copeland and Bruford. For me, the other two in the equasion don't even factor for me cuz I'm not a big fan of either's group of fame.

Test for Echo??? I'm thinking that I just said that? wink.gif No would you excuse me whilst I go and listen to some Karen Carpenter! smile.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Sep 26 2008, 12:55 PM)
king troll,led zep are about to tour again plus neil pearts not dead!

Ah Zep have been about to tour again for years smile.gif In any case I;ve seen them, and I don't want any of today's 12 year old posers in Zep T-Shirts to see them - they're crap anyway wink.gif

John Rutsey's dead though sad.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Sep 26 2008, 02:45 PM)
I would like my choice changed to Meg White. ph34r.gif bolt.gif

comp26.gif comp26.gif comp26.gif no.gif

As others have said, it's down to personal preference.

Moon and Peart are my favourites and although I don't like jazz music, there are some great drummers in that genre.

Keith Moon was inspired by a film called Drum Crazy starring Gene Krupa.

Have a look at the site www.drummerworld.com which features loads of videos from all the famous drummers.

Check out Gene Krupa and his drum battle with Buddy Rich - speed and precision!

QUOTE (Margana @ Sep 26 2008, 01:18 PM)
As others have said, it's down to personal preference.

Moon and Peart are my favourites and although I don't like jazz music, there are some great drummers in that genre.

Keith Moon was inspired by a film called Drum Crazy starring Gene Krupa.

Have a look at the site www.drummerworld.com which features loads of videos from all the famous drummers.
Check out Gene Krupa and his drum battle with Buddy Rich - speed and precision!

That was a great movie!! 1022.gif Thanks for the link. trink39.gif

I love Led Zeppelin with a passion, but it's Peart every time for me.

At most concerts I happily nip out to the restroom or bar during the drum solo (they just don't do it for me), but when I've seen Rush I've been moved almost to tears during Neil's solo. I can't explain it.

QUOTE (edie @ Sep 26 2008, 04:49 PM)
At most concerts I happily nip out to the restroom or bar during the drum solo (they just don't do it for me), but when I've seen Rush I've been moved almost to tears during Neil's solo. I can't explain it.

Probably because you're bostin' for a tiddle smile.gif

Does Neil know you have a picture of him in your sig? He won't like it you know.

I love Bonham as much as the next guy and the first zep album remains one of my favorite albums of all time, his raw sound and them triple bass parts!

...however, Peart has the determination and work ethic to learn just about anything any other drummer can do and he makes it look effortless! just look at his face when he plays, you can hear every note and he makes every one count whether it's a simple beat or a complicated fill. most other drummers (Moon and Bonham included), as good as they are, look like they're having a seizure every time they try top pull off something complicated... maybe that's just their personality though...

also I think Stuart Copeland and Ian Paice deserve more credit too...

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Sep 26 2008, 06:15 PM)
Peter Chris anyone?!?!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

the man made me want to play drums when i was knee high to a grasshopper 1022.gif [not so much anymore laugh.gif ]

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 27 2008, 08:56 AM)
I would like my choice changed to Meg White.  ph34r.gif  bolt.gif

Not a fan of Meg Metaldad? I think shes amazing wub.gif One of the best live acts I've seen as well. The White Stripes seem really unpopular on TRF, as are the Pumpkins. Interesting ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 26 2008, 07:23 PM)

Not a fan of Meg Metaldad? I think shes amazing wub.gif One of the best live acts I've seen as well. The White Stripes seem really unpopular on TRF, as are the Pumpkins. Interesting ph34r.gif

I, for one, love The White Stripes!

I love the " who's better than who" discussions...

I love them both for different reasons...they both rocked and added a lot to Zep and Rush.

I think just being fast isnt the only thing to look for.

It is all about being creative and adding to the songs.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 26 2008, 06:23 PM)

nope , not one bit . you think she is amazing?

I'm removing Moon from my answer as I'm not as well versed in his work as the other two... in any conversation I have on this topic (a lot of them, this is a popular topic) it always comes down to Bonham and Peart anyways...

John had a different style - I think someone already mentioned locomotive.. in that he was better, he was a hard hitter with a good groove.. nimble with his feet.. he was more gutteral in his playing.

Neil has, IMO, a totally different style.. he hits hard, but with more precision and control. He is more of a student of his craft and that makes him better in different ways. He is more technical in his playing.. not that his playing lacks emotion, please don't think that. He is just more refined.

I've always wondered what John could have evolved into had he lived.. what if he had lived, got sober and continued to play, how would his style changed.. not to mention how would Zeppelin be viewed if they had not stopped producing music in 1980.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 27 2008, 12:22 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 26 2008, 06:23 PM)

nope , not one bit . you think she is amazing?

Yep, in that context, sure. Perfect foil for JW, great stuff. Re-rushed, nice to know Im not the only one laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 26 2008, 03:56 PM)

Though I am a fan of Meg Griffin, I am not a fan of Meg White. laugh.gif

Anyways..... no representation for Bill Bruford or Alan White? confused13.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Sep 26 2008, 10:50 AM)
I love Led Zeppelin, Bonham was a great drummer with his own distinctive style, but for me Neil is the greatest rock drummer of all time.
There are many great rock drummers: Bill Bruford, Carl Palmer,  Mitch Mitchell, Ginger Baker, Keith Moon, Gavin Harrison.... But none of them move me the way Neil does! Neil just has an amazing level of power, energy and creativity that makes him the greatest IMO.
Everytime I listen to Rush I am amazed how great Neil's drum parts are. I can hear a Rush song for the ten-thousand time and discover little nuances in Neil's drum parts that I never noticed before... In the end, what's important is not how fast a drummer can play or how complex his drumming is...the important thing is how it feels, and how it moves you. No drummer moves me like Neil, so for that he's my favorite.

Couldn't have said it better. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

yes.gif

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Sep 26 2008, 05:07 PM)

also I think Stuart Copeland and Ian Paice deserve more credit too...

I couldn't agree more, but I've got to tell you that when I saw DP last year, Ian Paice totally mailed it in. Almost all of the great fills that made me a big fan of his he totally glossed over. He did do a solo, but he needn't have bothered. It was obvious he hasn't kept up his craft. sad.gif Roger Glover was the best performer (and he gave me a pick) cool.gif

QUOTE (Lamneth08 @ Sep 26 2008, 08:52 PM)
Whats the difference between technical and just being fast?..

or are they the same?..

Listen to Jacob's Ladder. There's your answer. Not fast; incredibly technical in an abstract way.

QUOTE (King Troll @ Sep 26 2008, 03:26 AM)
Bonham's the best, because he was BRITISH!!!!

KT could be on to something there!

John Bonham, Ginger Baker, Charlie Watts, Mitch Mitchell, Keith Moon, Barriemore Barlow, Alan White, Bill Bruford, Simon Phillips, Aynsley Dunbar, Ian Paice, Carl Palmer, Roger Taylor and of course Ringo Starr.

All great players who have been influential in their own way, and all English! Bonham, Mitchell, Barlow, Bruford and Dunbar are particular favorites of mine.

To anyone who has not heard of Barriemore Barlow, pick up a copy of 'Thick As A Brick' by Jethro Tull. You won't regret it!

As for Bonham, sure, there are heaps of guys that play a lot better than him, but Bonzo wasn't about chops. Listen to tracks like 'Kashmir', 'Since I've Been Loving You', 'When The Levee Breaks', 'Dancing Days', 'For Your Life', 'Darlene', and my particular favourite, 'Fool In The Rain'.

All of these tunes have an incredibly heavy and deep groove, so much so that the drums stand out more than anything. Being a fan of jazz music, Bonham would occasionally colour his playing now and then, but in the end, he provided that pounding heartbeat for the music, and that's when he was at his best.

Archived