The utter perfection of Diff Stages - Disc 1

Steevo

Every track off this is great, then to have it live, then to have a near-perfect recording, (I haven't heard the Jap version as of yet) and and and...2112 in its entirety!!! Its insane how relentless it is. Does anyone else share the same hit from this disc??? Ok, need to lie down and rest now. Holy crap. common001.gif 653.gif 2.gif

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 12 2008, 07:40 PM)
Every track off this is great, then to have it live, then to have a near-perfect recording, (I haven't heard the Jap version as of yet) and and and...2112 in its entirety!!! Its insane how relentless it is. Does anyone else share the same hit from this disc??? Ok, need to lie down and rest now. Holy crap. common001.gif 653.gif 2.gif

Wow...That's passion...I like it...Discovery is great.

To me, its the only "live" sounding live disc they have.

I like it so much, I went and did this:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/Kozmo4Rush/DSTatoo.jpg

Glad to have been there!

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/Kozmo4Rush/100_1385.jpg

Kozmo

QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 12 2008, 07:40 PM)

laugh.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif laugh.gif

I agree. The whole project is bombs-away the best live album they have, IMO. But Disc 1 is the topper of the three.

all 3 are very good to me. being a drum solo freak of sorts. neils ds is the absolute best i have ever heard of his. i was 11 years old when ATWAS was brought home by my older brother. 1976 i believe. so i've heard alot of his work over years the atwas drum solo melted my mental chain the first time i heard it. stuttered for a week! this was also the time frame when neils entire "old school" drumset was covered in black velvit curtain. it would stay covered as the opening song would start, while he's playing. then it would fall showing the chrome drumset and all the percussion instruments all shiny and sparkling. his drumset was off the hook for the time. i really miss his old school drumset alot. his new ones are awesome and all but fail to trully show what he used to really do in neil's younger years.

DS is my stuck on an island disc.. But i have the japan version and having FOrce ten on disc 2 just makes it more of a complete concert , and a killer kick ass version of that song... But sound wise both versions sound the same... and i like those mini tourbooks too, they were made with real quality paper. rather than the flimsy one that came with rush in rio for vapor trails tour.. Cheap cheap thin paper..

hey steevo,its great to hear somebody speak with such passion about how rush affects them.

i had the same overwhelming glow just last night listening to hemispheres headphones on eyes closed and cranked up to 11,man it was mind blowing!!

Yeah, DS is the best sounding live album, although the new one also sounds pretty good. My favorite song on DS is definitely The Analog Kid on disc 2, it blows me away every time. I also love the guy shouting "That's OK Alex, shake it off" in Driven. laugh.gif

For some reason by disc 2, developed a defect after about the 2nd time listening. I recently got a copy of it and listened to it for the first time in years. I wasn't that impressed.

However, I will always remember how my jaw hit the floor when they went into Discovery (at the Cap center in DC) and realized that they were going to play 2112 in entirety. Therefore disc 1 brings back some great memmories.

Disc 3 is the bees knees.

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Sep 13 2008, 06:13 AM)
Yeah, DS is the best sounding live album, although the new one also sounds pretty good. My favorite song on DS is definitely The Analog Kid on disc 2, it blows me away every time. I also love the guy shouting "That's OK Alex, shake it off" in Driven. laugh.gif

I agree, Analog Kid just rocks on that disc! Disc 1 has been a favorite of mine since it came out.

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Sep 13 2008, 11:13 AM)
I also love the guy shouting "That's OK Alex, shake it off" in Driven. laugh.gif

Love that bit too, The volume always gets cranked up for that wink.gif

I just wish they'd get it together and bring this out on dvd someday..... sad.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 12 2008, 06:40 PM)

Counterparts and Test for Echo were great tours. I'm glad I was able to see some shows from that time period.

After every break in 2112 I kept shouting something like "KEEP GOING GUYS!". Of course I wasn't into the internet back then and had no idea they'd play all 7 parts.

Oh, I also like how friggin' fast they play some of the songs on DS. Listen to Natural Science on DS and then again on Snakes and Arrows live.

QUOTE (reani14 @ Sep 13 2008, 10:31 PM)
DS is my stuck on an island disc.. But i have the japan version and having FOrce ten on disc 2 just makes it more of a complete concert , and a killer kick ass version of that song... But sound wise both versions sound the same... and i like those mini tourbooks too, they were made with real quality paper. rather than the flimsy one that came with rush in rio for vapor trails tour.. Cheap cheap thin paper..

DAMN IT!! You had to say that!! banghead.gif

Yeah I guess that was a little OTT, but I figure the guys at TRF know where Im coming from cool.gif

Interesting opinions here, as always!! laugh.gif

If you had any sense you'd realise it is in fact disc three of Different Stages that is perfection.

I do enjoy both of the first two but let's be honest Rush were in their prime around the time of A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres so a live recording from that period being the greatest live recording they ever put out would make an awful lot of sense... and it does.

What an album.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 12 2008, 06:53 PM)
I like Disc 3 better.

yes.gif trink39.gif

Archived