the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jul 15 2011, 04:58 AM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 22 2008, 11:39 PM)
imo it takes a f*cked up mind and a lot of drugs to fully understand jim morrison's work tongue.gif

Do a good, healthy dose of LSD and listen to The Doors and you will "get" him/them.

Jim Morrison, under an influence or not, is a sham. I like The Doors with Jim Morrison the weakest link. Most...overrated...front man...EVAH!

Man the Marillion 'Early Stages' 6CD Box is totally freaking me. Those early live shows kick some arse.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 19 2011, 12:56 AM)
imo it takes a f*cked up mind and a lot of drugs to fully understand jim morrison's work tongue.gif

Do a good, healthy dose of LSD and listen to The Doors and you will "get" him/them.

Jim Morrison, under an influence or not, is a sham. I like The Doors with Jim Morrison the weakest link. Most...overrated...front man...EVAH!

Morrison is about as genuine and real as a performer could possibly be

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jul 19 2011, 12:56 PM)

He might be genuine and real, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's good. Of course, it's only my opinion, but I've never been so underwhelmed by what some consider a legend or a genius. I just don't see it or hear it. The rest of The Doors were pretty good, though.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 19 2011, 12:59 PM)

He might be genuine and real, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's good. Of course, it's only my opinion, but I've never been so underwhelmed by what some consider a legend or a genius. I just don't see it or hear it. The rest of The Doors were pretty good, though.

yes.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 19 2011, 11:59 AM)

That's fine if you don't like his singing/lyrics/performances but I've never seen the evidence that proves he was in any way a sham (which is the word I had a problem with).

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jul 19 2011, 01:19 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 19 2011, 11:59 AM)

That's fine if you don't like his singing/lyrics/performances but I've never seen the evidence that proves he was in any way a sham (which is the word I had a problem with).

Fair enough. trink39.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 19 2011, 10:49 AM)
lol @ an argument over a post i made 3 years ago

I brought it back up cuz I felt like you really can't "get" Morrison unless you listen to him on acid, especially considering he wrote a lot of that stuff in that state. Now I'm not recommending drug use here, I'm just sayin'...... And btw he was many things indeed, but "sham" wasn't one of them. A fair aknowledgment on your part ReRushed.

Incredibly, music sounds better when you rip it to FLAC instead of shitty 192kbps WMA's. I know, crazy, right?

edit: as an aside, I love how well Songbird emulates the functionality of iTunes as a music player, right down to the whole "being completely terrible" thing.

Edited by invisibleairwaves

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Aug 21 2011, 02:45 AM)
Incredibly, music sounds better when you rip it to FLAC instead of shitty 192kbps WMA's. I know, crazy, right?

I usually listen to FLAC/Lossless files when I'm listening to music on my computer or ripping a CD.

But, I gotta tell ya, I don't mind mp3s, especially on my ipod. I know there's a difference, it just doesn't matter that much to me.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Aug 21 2011, 02:45 AM)

I listen to FLAC/lossless files sometimes, and there IS a noticeable difference. But most of the time, I listen to 320 kbps mp3s. I don't mind either, since I'm hearing the same song whether it's in FLAC or mp3.