the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

I finally got tired of trying to find Rush LP's at record stores and thrift stores (which I've found a few here and there but not the more obscure albums), so yesterday I bought on Ebay:

Fly By Night

AFTK

Hemispheres

Perm Waves

bought em as a LOT for $23 total incl shipping.

I already had PeW but mine was average condition, these 4 are all EX according to the seller and the pics he showed. So now I have everything from FBN up to PoW. I'm missing the S/T, HYF, and Show of Hands out of all of the "mainstream" vinyl, all Rush vinyl after that is like $200 so I figure I'll never own those anyway.

when I get em, I'm gonna get "in the mood" and find my own personal "passage to bangkok" cool10.gif and enjoy those albums very much. cool.gif

Edited by Bastille Dave

I find it hard to listen to a lot of music now. I've finally realized that all of the music I grew up with, my kids are probably going to grow up with. Damn, I'm only 17 and I just can't help but think about the past 13 or 14 years without bands like Rush and Pink Floyd being there.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 16 2011, 04:48 PM)
Why aren't more people into Built to Spill?

It's a thundering disgrace. It really is. Doug Martsch is a genius. They're rustling again, should have an album and a tour in 2012.

Saw them blow Dinosaur Jr off the stage last year. And D Jr were excellent.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 20 2011, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 16 2011, 04:48 PM)
Why aren't more people into Built to Spill?

It's a thundering disgrace. It really is. Doug Martsch is a genius. They're rustling again, should have an album and a tour in 2012.

Saw them blow Dinosaur Jr off the stage last year. And D Jr were excellent.

I've never had the pleasure of seeing them in concert. Hopefully, I'll have the chance in 2012.

I recently listened to There's Nothing Wrong with Love and utterly enjoyed it.

Why wasn't I born in the 60s??!!! angry.gif fists crying.gif comp26.gif

Basically, pop culture was in every way superior in the 70s to that of pop culture today. Think about it - no suffering through rap, pop-country, American Idol, etc.

And I could see Rush on the Hemispheres tour! biggrin.gif

Edited by Tommy Sawyer

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 20 2011, 08:33 PM)
Basically, pop culture was in every way superior in the 70s to that of pop culture today. Think about it - no suffering through rap, pop-country, American Idol, etc.

Do a little bit more research and I think you'll realize this statement is not accurate. Pop culture is all about perspective.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 20 2011, 08:38 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 20 2011, 08:33 PM)

Do a little bit more research and I think you'll realize this statement is not accurate. Pop culture is all about perspective.

I am aware of that, of course. There was disco to contend with, as well as cheesy pop a la Donny Osmond, correct?

... but there was no Justin Bieber or Eminem. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 20 2011, 09:33 PM)

There are a few quality boots from that tour you might be able to find. yes.gif

Heard this song on the radio last night, I believe it was by Silversun Pickups? No clue the name of the song but it reminded me a lot of Rush - time changes throughout. Pretty neat. I've heard other songs from this band and have always listened to them on the radio. Not sure if it's enough to go out and purchase anything by them though...

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Dec 21 2011, 12:04 PM)
Heard this song on the radio last night, I believe it was by Silversun Pickups? No clue the name of the song but it reminded me a lot of Rush - time changes throughout. Pretty neat. I've heard other songs from this band and have always listened to them on the radio. Not sure if it's enough to go out and purchase anything by them though...

I will have to check these guys out. With three CDs to listen to on Spotify for free, I will be busy.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 20 2011, 06:33 PM)

Perhaps... But then you might not have been a Rush fan. You might have been like me and missed the Hemispheres tour altogether and become a fan in the 90's.

Oh, the concerts I missed! fists crying.gif fists crying.gif

2.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 21 2011, 06:55 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 20 2011, 09:33 PM)

There are a few quality boots from that tour you might be able to find. yes.gif

A Desert Passage is all I need... 1022.gif

QUOTE (On TheRoad To Adventure @ Dec 21 2011, 02:18 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 20 2011, 06:33 PM)

Perhaps... But then you might not have been a Rush fan. You might have been like me and missed the Hemispheres tour altogether and become a fan in the 90's.

Oh, the concerts I missed! fists crying.gif fists crying.gif

2.gif

I'm gonna get this shirt.......(I'm 55 y.o....... laugh.gif )

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l225/hoser98629/old.jpg

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 21 2012, 06:51 AM)
Coldplay's new album is really good. Marvellous, in fact.

Never thought I'd type that.

I thought it was pretty good, definitely one of my top albums of 2011.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Jan 21 2012, 11:41 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 21 2012, 06:51 AM)
Coldplay's new album is really good. Marvellous, in fact.

Never thought I'd type that.

I thought it was pretty good, definitely one of my top albums of 2011.

I thought I'd lost them after X&Y, which was twee to the point of Little House On The Prairie, the one after I felt tried too hard to be different. But Xylo has great balance, plenty of daring and plenty of anthems.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw