The Dark Knight Reactions Thread

The Owl

QUOTE (SteelersFreak1 @ Jul 20 2008, 10:33 PM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 20 2008, 09:32 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 20 2008, 04:01 PM)
I don't know about the rest of you but who Batman chose to rescue surprised the shit out of me and the results left me quite stunned. I literally couldn't believe it happened. That's ballsy filmmaking right there to shake up the audience...I guarantee no one saw it coming.

Really? I thought it was obvious that he would choose to rescue the love of his life, Rachel. I can't believe you think he would have chosen Dent instead.

He didn't choose, the Joker switched the addresses of where they were so he would go after the wrong person, he intended to go after Rachel.

Yes, he chose to rescue Rachel. That's what I meant. I don't understand Theredtama's remark that he couldn't believe he chose to try to rescue Rachel instead of Dent.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 21 2008, 11:10 PM)
QUOTE (SteelersFreak1 @ Jul 20 2008, 10:33 PM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 20 2008, 09:32 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 20 2008, 04:01 PM)
I don't know about the rest of you but who Batman chose to rescue surprised the shit out of me and the results left me quite stunned. I literally couldn't believe it happened. That's ballsy filmmaking right there to shake up the audience...I guarantee no one saw it coming.

Really? I thought it was obvious that he would choose to rescue the love of his life, Rachel. I can't believe you think he would have chosen Dent instead.

He didn't choose, the Joker switched the addresses of where they were so he would go after the wrong person, he intended to go after Rachel.

Yes, he chose to rescue Rachel. That's what I meant. I don't understand Theredtama's remark that he couldn't believe he chose to try to rescue Rachel instead of Dent.

That's 'cause I missed the point in the movie where the Joker lies about the addresses and didn't realize that Batman was actually trying to get to Rachel.

I fessed up to that on the previous page.

unsure.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 21 2008, 03:24 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 21 2008, 02:47 PM)
Harvey's story was awesome.  I thought it was a bigger part of the movie than even Joker.  Much of the dialouge between Bats and Joker and Harvey was nearly straight out of the books.  Harvey was Bruce's hero.  This made that apparant.  His fall is a tragedy.  I hope they haven't killed him off.  He is such a big part of the future of Batman.  Especially if they ever want to introduce Robin into the new franchise.

I heard that Christian Bale had said that if they try to introduce Robin while he is involved, he'll protest. Just something I heard...can't provide a source.

I would steer clear of it too, but when it's not done in a hokey way, the Robin story is classic. And through the years it adds to the psychology of Batman. Again... we have to realize that Bats is insane. His allowing of a child to join him in his crusade/war is so ridiculously wrong. And yet he's done it four times now. Robin (Dick Grayson), Robin II (Jason Todd, killed at the hands of the Joker), Robin III ( Tim Drake), and The Spoiler (Can't think of her name right now, but she was killed also).

In the comics, the story of Robin is usually pretty good and quite well done, but it's never been done well on screen. With all that Nolan has done so far, I think it would almost be a challenge to him to do this well. I'd almost think that he couldn't pass it up.

But I'd wait until the fifth installment maybe. If it goes that far, which I can't see it not doing.

My fiance is a huge batman nerd, so I went just to make him happy. I was surprised (shocked, actually) at how much I enjoyed the movie. I've never been into superhero movies but this changed my mind!

oh man this movie was kick a*s*s!!!

i personally luuved it

the joker was def. my fav. character

i def. give it 5/5

i'd go see it again in a heart beat!

R.I.P

Heath Ledger sad.gif fists crying.gif

We'll all miss you and your awesome acting!

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 23 2008, 12:50 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 22 2008, 11:53 AM)
I've often viewed Batman and Robin as lovers.

WHAT??? ohmy.gif

You're kidding right?

No, not kidding. Of course, I'm talking about the TV series. I mean, "the boy wonder" and all.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 23 2008, 10:58 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 22 2008, 08:53 AM)

It's not like they're Bert & Ernie, or Sam & Frodo. no.gif

Or Goose & Maverick.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 23 2008, 11:29 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 23 2008, 10:58 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 22 2008, 08:53 AM)

It's not like they're Bert & Ernie, or Sam & Frodo. no.gif

Or Goose & Maverick.

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

I'm so glad this film is doing so well. it has broke 4 records already.

I just hope this drama with Bale and his family doesn't hurt it's success overseas.

I just read some stuff about how christian is depressed and has anger problems and such since heath's death. so sad.

i'll try to get the link of what I read.

Okay generally I'm not a big fan of superhero movies, I did enjoy the first two Spiderman movies quite a bit but other than that I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to see them. My best friend on the other hand is absolutely in love with anything like this, he insisted I go along with him to see it. As a warm-up and to give me a general idea before we went to see it today I watched Batman Begins over at his house last night. Even he admitted the majority of that film f***ing sucks, so boring until the climax, today I can't even remember what happened and that was less than 24 hours ago since I saw it. So yeah my expectations weren't high.

Anyway I went along today somewhat reluctantly and came back somewhat completely blown away. Where as Batman Begins was a total snoozefest most of the way through right from the start I found The Dark Knight wonderfully engaging. The opening bank robbery scene remains one of my favourites from the movie and from then on I barely took my eyes off the screen.

I guess most people here have already been there and done it now, the majority of you being from America but if not, even if like me superhero films were never your thing I would seriously suggest checking this out. Much more intelligent than a lot of movies out there today and Batman as a character really doesn't spend all that much time on screen. When he did I found myself counting the minutes until The Joker was back. I'm not one to throw sympathy on a guy just because he died but Heath Ledger made that f***ing movie. I now understand why they completely avoided using the name Batman in the title of the movie, even if you replaced Bruce Wayne with some regular police officer guy it would still work just because of the strenght of The Joker as a character.

I was really surprised at the amount of violence, horror and the dark atmosphere that runs through the film, when I realised the age rating was 12A afterwards I was really shocked, while it doesn't disgust me I can see why some people might walk away thinking this movie should have been at least a 15.

While I can't bring myself to award 5 stars for the movie, I thought the climax with the buildings and the ships was over-complicated and the whole mobile phone thing was ridiculously far-fetched for a movie that was this serious looking I can give it a safe 4. There were several points in the second half where I felt the film could've been wrapped up and I wouldn't have felt disappointed in the least yet I can't complain about it that much as like I said early on in my review my eyes were constantly glued to the screen.

So yeah; 4/5 from me.

I just saw this last night having not seen any other Batman movies and barely knowing the story, and I was pretty well impressed. I couldn't find fault with it. The only thing that sucks is that they didn't kill off the Joker, and now obviously they aren't going to dare to bring him back with some other guy playing him. But of course that's not the movie's fault, as they weren't planning on Heath dying when he did. But his character was pretty flawless.

A bit dark and negative, but I enjoyed it. (I guess that's why it's called The Dark Knight) Ledger gave an outstanding performance. One other thing, I thought they should have put two face in another film and had more of the Joker.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 26 2008, 01:42 PM)
I just saw this last night having not seen any other Batman movies and barely knowing the story, and I was pretty well impressed. I couldn't find fault with it. The only thing that sucks is that they didn't kill off the Joker, and now obviously they aren't going to dare to bring him back with some other guy playing him. But of course that's not the movie's fault, as they weren't planning on Heath dying when he did. But his character was pretty flawless.

They couldn't have killed off the joker because then Batman would have broken his one rule and the Joker would have gotten what he wanted. I think Nolan knows better and won't try to bring the Joker back. Keep him locked up somewhere in Arkham would be the best decision.

I finally saw this movie! OMG it was amazing! biggrin.gif It was everything I hoped for and more. I think I am in love with The Joker now. wub.gif I was very impressed with Heaths portrayal of the Joker because in my mind when I read the comics, The Joker always appeared to me like that. A manical, unstable man who lives to watch the world burn bascially. Always testing people like some kind of demented socialogist just to see what people will do when they are instigated. The Two-Face character played by Eckheart wasnt bad. I didnt really like the make-up job they did with him though. I thought it revealed too much and it didnt look realistic at all where as the wounds with The Jokers make-up were done much more realistically IMO.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 26 2008, 10:42 PM)

The joker can't die. He represents everything Batman fights.

"I don't wan't to kill you! What would I do without you!"

They complete each other.

Edited by Soni

This movie was very well done. Ledger was amazing as the Joker. THE best Batman film to date.