The Dark Knight Reactions Thread

The Owl

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 1 2008, 07:44 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jul 27 2008, 06:35 PM)
I finally saw this movie!  OMG it was amazing!  biggrin.gif  It was everything I hoped for and more.  I think I am in love with The Joker now.  wub.gif  I was very impressed with Heaths portrayal of the Joker because in my mind when I read the comics, The Joker always appeared to me like that. A manical, unstable man who lives to watch the world burn bascially. Always testing people like some kind of demented socialogist just to see what people will do when they are instigated.  The Two-Face character played by Eckheart  wasnt bad. I didnt really like the make-up job they did with him though. I thought it revealed too much and it didnt look realistic at all where as the wounds with The Jokers make-up were done much more realistically IMO.

I'm in the minority as far as I can tell, but I thought the film went to sh*t at the point Dent became TwoFace. It's a shame, too, because the latest interpretation of the Joker was brilliant, and they'd pretty much avoided the goofy gizmo angle that has pervaded so many versions of Batman and his villains. To me, once Dent was lost, the film jumped the shark.

I agree with you about the TwoFace make-up. It was way over the top to the point of the ridiculous, which, again, the film had avoided up to that point. I just couldn't buy that kind of damage being brushed off...and not even effecting his speech. Just stupid. Equally lame was the two ferries scene. People just sit there...and vote? Criminals don't react? I sat there shaking my head through the rest of the film, shocked that they'd taken it in such an idiotic direction that culminated in Gordon's speech...one of the worst written pieces of crap I can remember.

Again, I thought the move was brilliant for the first 90-100 minutes. The hospital scene was genius, as was the opening bank robbery and many other elements. But for as much dogging as the Indy Jones flick took, I'm surpised more people aren't pointing out how pathetic this thing ended.

Then I have to join the minority here too.

I have been waiting for weeks to see this movie - working out sitters, etc. and I came away from it like... unsure.gif

Yes, Ledger was really something else. But overall I just didn't LOVE this movie like everyone else apparently did. The ending felt lame to me, and I'm just as much a sucker for true heroism as anyone else.

The ferry scene gave me problems too - people calmly searching for pens and paper to vote on whether they should blow up another ferry full of people? Wow.

Harvey Dent and the lack of the pain factor - completely implausible. Having half your face gone, bones and tendons exposed, and you talk normally? Whatever.

And to be completely weird...for some reason it drove me nuts how Bale's voice got all raspy when he was Batman. I know, you can all tell me it made him cool or whatever, but it got on my nerves in this movie...maybe because I just didn't get that exhiliarated feeling I had expected to have overall.

I guess I read too much about how amazing the movie was and set my expectations too high. I can't really explain more than I have - some movies grab me and change me forever...there's no one reason I can point to, just that the whole package WORKED. This movie didn't live up to the hype *I* had set up in my own head.

(Oh, and I loved Batman Begins. So go figure.)

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 9 2008, 08:59 AM)
The ferry scene gave me problems too - people calmly searching for pens and paper to vote on whether they should blow up another ferry full of people? Wow.

Harvey Dent and the lack of the pain factor - completely implausible. Having half your face gone, bones and tendons exposed, and you talk normally? Whatever.

I thought the ferry scene was well done. I really do think that people will remain calm in a situation like that, especially after the initial shock and panic of a terrorist attack has sunk in. I've been in situations where people really do act like that.

Regarding Harvey Dent/Two Face, the movie covered the pain factor. He was in deeper emotional pain. The overall pain drove him over the edge, that's why he refused medication. Also, it's a comic book movie! This type of stuff happens in comic books! Suspension of disbelief is crucial if you really want to enjoy most movies, anyway!

Anyway, it's really a great movie. See it again and let it sink in.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 9 2008, 08:50 PM)
Being the last person on the planet to see it will have that effect. See it again...it settles in. It's a great film.

Oh and Bale had the same rasp in the first film, believe it or not. Watch it again...

Am I really the last person on the planet to see it? Wow. Go figure.

I don't want to see it again. I'm glad everyone else on the planet enjoyed it though. smile.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 10 2008, 01:17 PM)
Yahoo News had rumored that Johnny Depp is rumored to play the Riddler.  But this is still very early on, and just a rumor.

I think Depp would make a good Riddler.

He would make a good Riddler.

But overall I think they should do other villains. I never really liked The Riddler that much as a villian. Nevertheless it would be very entertaining to see Depp as a villain.

Edited by Alex

The Riddler is one of the few Batman villians that they can do good with the Realistic approach of the Nolan Films.

IGN.com mentioned a good approach to the Riddler

http://movies.ign.com/articles/892/892656p1.html

-------HUGE Dark Knight and Batman Begins Spoilers Ahead------------

-------Proceed with Caution!!!

The Villains of Batman 3
IGN wonders who might terrorize Gotham City in the next movie.
by Jim Vejvoda
July 22, 2008 - With The Dark Knight now in theaters, IGN Movies is already looking ahead to a third Christopher Nolan-directed Batman movie and pondering what it might be about. Just as the ending of Batman Begins introduced the theme of escalation that its sequel explored, The Dark Knight established that things were going to get much worse for Batman and for Gotham City before they will get better. (PLEASE BE ADVISED OF SPOILERS FROM HERE ON OUT.)

TDK ends with Batman a wanted man, falsely accused of murdering five people including police officers. Batman sacrificed his own reputation in order to protect the memory of fallen district attorney Harvey Dent, who had transformed into the vengeful Two-Face. Gotham needed a hero, a figure of hope to believe in so that it could remain inspired to save itself from crime and corruption. In the end, Batman finds himself alone, hunted by his former police allies, and mourning the loss of his beloved Rachel Dawes.

A third Batman film would likely focus on the redemption of the Caped Crusader in the eyes of the public. What better or more obvious way for that to happen than for Batman to save the city (once again) from a villain bent on its destruction. The trick is to select villains that can be adapted to a real world environment AND fit in thematically with the storyline and stakes established in the first two films. That's a rather tall order and would seem to narrow down the list of potential villains quite a bit.

Why not just recast the Joker and bring back Two-Face, you ask? With Heath Ledger dead and his portrayal of the Joker now indelibly etched into filmgoers' minds, we think it highly unlikely that the filmmakers would recast the role to bring the Clown Prince back. It would also be tough for that character to top what he did to Batman and Gotham in TDK so perhaps once is enough. Likewise, the ending of TDK seemed to suggest that Harvey Dent/Two-Face was dead, although producer Emma Thomas told IGN after an early press screening that Dent's last scene was ambiguous enough to suggest that perhaps he was still alive.

If Dent is still alive, did Gordon have him covertly locked away in Arkham? Given TDK's overt political overtones, the idea of a secret prisoner hidden from the world would be in line with the ethical questions raised in the second film. Having Dent escape and show the city what he'd really become would at least get Batman off the hook for the murders that he didn't commit, but we don't see the filmmakers bringing Dent back either. Story-wise, what more could be done with Joker or Two-Face that TDK didn't accomplish? We suggest the filmmakers bring in new villains for the third movie, but that doesn't mean they can't be tied to the events of the first two films.Employing a villain such as Talia al Ghul, the estranged daughter of Batman Begins' Ra's al Ghul, would not only tie Batman 3 back to the first film but also give the series a new female lead (and potential love interest) now that Rachel Dawes has been killed off. Talia could be out to finish the job her father had failed to do: destroy Gotham, which after TDK seems more hopeless than ever. Ra's may have had a Lazarus pit in the comics, but we don't see Nolan resorting to such comic book gimmickry to bring him back. Talia and a new League of Shadows would be enough. Talia would have the resources and will to bring about Gotham's destruction, the prevention of which might just put the Dark Knight back in the good graces of his hometown. (One problem with Talia, however, is that Warner Bros. might not want Nolan to use the character if they make a JLA movie and she's a villain in that.)

Perhaps the filmmakers could use a "No Man's Land"-esque storyline that finds Gotham City sealed off from the rest of the county, the victim of some terrible calamity such as a biochemical attack or a viral outbreak. In keeping with the series' war on terror metaphors, as well as the abandonment of Gotham City in "No Man's Land," a private corporation could be brought in to save and secure the city and those who have stayed behind. This outfit, obviously, would be a front for the villains who were behind the attack (Talia and the League). Batman would have to expose and defeat them, thus restoring himself as Gotham's savior. Even playboy Bruce Wayne could be redeemed in the public eye thanks to his philanthropic efforts in aiding his forsaken city.

Talia al Ghul and the Riddler.

What of the more colorful (and better known) members of Batman's rogue's gallery? Is there room for them in a third Nolan Bat-flick? The answer might be found in TDK.As the Joker told Batman, "You've changed things forever. There's no going back." A third film would likely show how this has panned out, with the underworld being divvied up between increasingly eccentric criminals, such as The Penguin (who is perhaps never referred to by that name), Black Mask and maybe even the Ventriloquist. None of them have to be the main villain; they could merely be there to show how wild and bizarre things are getting in Gotham. Some characters, no matter how popular they are, just might not fit into the world that Nolan has created or operate on a grand enough scale for the stakes that have been established in the first two films (nothing less than the salvation of Gotham City and Bruce Wayne's efforts not to abandon his own moral code in pursuit of that goal). Catwoman might be cool but how exactly does she fit into Nolan's take on the Batman universe? How do you explain a woman dressing up as a cat? It took a whole movie just to justify why Batman wore his outfit. The real world tone necessitates a supervillain who could conceivably exist. That's why we think the next major villain Batman will fight on-screen will be King Tut. Just kidding. No, our hunch is that the Riddler will be the secondary (yet better known) supervillain in the next film.

Given the ending of TDK, the most obvious antagonist for Batman to face in a third film would be Jim Gordon and the GCPD. With Batman now a wanted murderer (a cop killer to boot), it would make sense for the public and politicians to demand the GCPD bring in Batman once and for all. But seeing as how Batman has made short work of the cops in the past, they would need help catching him. The Mayor (or perhaps Boss Rupert Thorne) could demand that they bring in a hired gun to help get the job done. Enter the Riddler, who is currently portrayed in the comics as a good bad guy who helps the cops crack cases. He possesses a superior intellect and proves it by solving mysteries.

The trick with the Riddler is not portraying him as a Joker wannabe or a garish buffoon. By making him Batman's intellectual equivalent and a possible replacement hero for the city, he becomes more of a threat to Batman. What if Edward Nygma is brought in to find out who Batman really is and help the cops get him, but he secretly has his own nefarious agenda? Primary villain Talia al Ghul doesn't have to know that Bruce was Ra's pupil or is Batman, so her seeking Riddler's help would make that much more sense then. Whomever that next villain is their job will be to test Batman. Ra's al Ghul did so by seeing if Batman's compassion was also his weakness; the Joker pushed Batman to the brink of breaking his one rule (no killing) and almost revealing his true identity. Seeing as how the Riddler has always posed questions to Batman, he seems like the right villain to continue Nolan's tradition of testing Batman's ethical boundaries.

I think this would be a great approach to The Riddler, and it's very it can be done very realistically.

I also like the Idea of Talia al Ghul, but I don't think they'll go back to that with only one film in between Batman Begins and Batman 3. It's too early to go back to the Al Ghul's.

I also like the Idea of Phillip Seymore Hoffman as the Penguin.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 10 2008, 08:29 AM)
Being the last person on the planet to see it will have that effect.  See it again...it settles in.  It's a great film.

Oh and Bale had the same rasp in the first film, believe it or not.  Watch it again...

I don't want to see it again. I'm glad everyone else on the planet enjoyed it though. smile.gif

Close. wink.gif

Being the last person on the planet to see it will have that effect.  See it again...it settles in.  It's a great film.

Oh and Bale had the same rasp in the first film, believe it or not.  Watch it again...

GhostGirl, thanks for letting me know I'm not totally alone on this planet! tongue.gif

It sounds like we had similar reactions to the movie. I, too, really enjoyed the first one - Batman Begins, and have watched that one several times. If I ever see the Dark Knight again, I'll stop it at about 90 minutes. I'll like it a lot more that way.

Again, I tip my hat to a great rendition of the Joker as frighteningly plausible villain.

I finally saw it on Thursday night....I hardly ever go to the movies but this one seemed too good to wait and rent later on.

And I wasn't disappointed at all, awesome movie....I'd give it a 9/10.

RIP Heath rose.gif

At least most of you guys were in North America....TDK took a long time to come to South Korea sad.gif

But yea...amazing is not a strong enough superlative for the movie. As for an Oscar, Heath Ledger doesn't need one. He gave a performance that will be remembered until the end of time.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 9 2008, 06:50 PM)
Being the last person on the planet to see it will have that effect. See it again...it settles in. It's a great film.

Oh and Bale had the same rasp in the first film, believe it or not. Watch it again...

no I'm the last person on the planet to see it. I plan on going this weekend. I've been hearing alot Bale's voice and I hope it doesnt distract me.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 20 2008, 12:27 PM)
It's NO different than the first film, if you saw that.

I know it's no different. My point was that, for whatever reason, it annoyed me in this film. That's all. Purely my opinion, and, again, I've never been more in the minority than I am now re: this movie. laugh.gif

For the hell of it I caught The Dark Knight for the third time. It's a great movie. The first time I saw it, I loved it. The second time I saw it I had minor problems with it and didn't love it as much. The third time many of the minor problems made sense and the movie redeemed itself. It's a fantastic film.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 9 2008, 07:59 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Aug 1 2008, 07:44 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jul 27 2008, 06:35 PM)
I finally saw this movie!  OMG it was amazing!  biggrin.gif  It was everything I hoped for and more.  I think I am in love with The Joker now.  wub.gif  I was very impressed with Heaths portrayal of the Joker because in my mind when I read the comics, The Joker always appeared to me like that. A manical, unstable man who lives to watch the world burn bascially. Always testing people like some kind of demented socialogist just to see what people will do when they are instigated.  The Two-Face character played by Eckheart  wasnt bad. I didnt really like the make-up job they did with him though. I thought it revealed too much and it didnt look realistic at all where as the wounds with The Jokers make-up were done much more realistically IMO.

I'm in the minority as far as I can tell, but I thought the film went to sh*t at the point Dent became TwoFace. It's a shame, too, because the latest interpretation of the Joker was brilliant, and they'd pretty much avoided the goofy gizmo angle that has pervaded so many versions of Batman and his villains. To me, once Dent was lost, the film jumped the shark.

I agree with you about the TwoFace make-up. It was way over the top to the point of the ridiculous, which, again, the film had avoided up to that point. I just couldn't buy that kind of damage being brushed off...and not even effecting his speech. Just stupid. Equally lame was the two ferries scene. People just sit there...and vote? Criminals don't react? I sat there shaking my head through the rest of the film, shocked that they'd taken it in such an idiotic direction that culminated in Gordon's speech...one of the worst written pieces of crap I can remember.

Again, I thought the move was brilliant for the first 90-100 minutes. The hospital scene was genius, as was the opening bank robbery and many other elements. But for as much dogging as the Indy Jones flick took, I'm surpised more people aren't pointing out how pathetic this thing ended.

Then I have to join the minority here too.

I have been waiting for weeks to see this movie - working out sitters, etc. and I came away from it like... unsure.gif

Yes, Ledger was really something else. But overall I just didn't LOVE this movie like everyone else apparently did. The ending felt lame to me, and I'm just as much a sucker for true heroism as anyone else.

And to be completely weird...for some reason it drove me nuts how Bale's voice got all raspy when he was Batman. I know, you can all tell me it made him cool or whatever, but it got on my nerves in this movie...maybe because I just didn't get that exhiliarated feeling I had expected to have overall.

I guess I read too much about how amazing the movie was and set my expectations too high. I can't really explain more than I have - some movies grab me and change me forever...there's no one reason I can point to, just that the whole package WORKED. This movie didn't live up to the hype *I* had set up in my own head.

(Oh, and I loved Batman Begins. So go figure.)

I thought it was a great movie, but I agree with GG in that it doesn't live up to the incredible hype. (I don't think anything could) I know how you feel being in the minority on this.

I actually enjoyed Iron Man more.

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 11 2008, 12:00 AM)

GhostGirl, thanks for letting me know I'm not totally alone on this planet! tongue.gif

It sounds like we had similar reactions to the movie. I, too, really enjoyed the first one - Batman Begins, and have watched that one several times. If I ever see the Dark Knight again, I'll stop it at about 90 minutes. I'll like it a lot more that way.

Again, I tip my hat to a great rendition of the Joker as frighteningly plausible villain.

Just caught this on the rig, and the two of you have pretty much nailed it for me....fairly ordinary film rescued by a blinding performance from Heath Ledger.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Sep 14 2008, 11:04 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Aug 11 2008, 12:00 AM)

Just caught this on the rig, and the two of you have pretty much nailed it for me....fairly ordinary film rescued by a blinding performance from Heath Ledger.

I finally just saw it too. Good movie but I didnt like as much as I thought I would. Performances were good but it seemed a little long and convoluted. I'll check it out again on Blu-ray.

I really hope they have the Riddler as the next victim.....I think it would be funny as hell to see batman try to deduce riddles out in that raspy voice.......

Batman (and once again in that raspy voice): "Riddle me this!? What the hell dose that mean! Is this a game! I don't know how to solve this! "