The Dark Knight Reactions Thread

The Owl

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 30 2008, 01:27 PM)
QUOTE (Sark @ Jul 28 2008, 11:02 AM)
This movie was very well done. Ledger was amazing as the Joker. THE best Batman film to date.

How can anyone in their right mind think otherwise? confused13.gif

I thought when Vapor Trails came out in 2002 that it was a flat out "bad" album, an opinion that has never changed for me no matter how much time goes by and how many listenes.

I used to think the same thing, "How can anyone in their right mind think otherwise? " As it turns out, a LOT of people think otherwise. Just cause something is screamingly obvious to you or to us doens't mean anyone else in the world is gonna agree. The Dark Knight does seem to have a pretty overwhelming consensus opinion that it's brilliant though. For whatever that's worth...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jul 30 2008, 03:39 PM)
Yeah, they might as well take all the copies of the other movies and bury them in the desert next those ET Atari games.

Batman Begins and Mask of the Phantasm can stay too.

Keep the two that Tim Burton did, those were good.

The two that Joel Schumacher did however...... 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 30 2008, 04:35 PM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jul 30 2008, 03:39 PM)
Yeah, they might as well take all the copies of the other movies and bury them in the desert next those ET Atari games.

Batman Begins and Mask of the Phantasm can stay too.

Keep the two that Tim Burton did, those were good.

The two that Joel Schumacher did however...... 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

I think I'm in the minority here but I don't like the first two films either. Jack was a terrible Joker. He's Jack Nicholson playing the Joker playing Jack Nicholson.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jul 27 2008, 06:35 PM)
I finally saw this movie! OMG it was amazing! biggrin.gif It was everything I hoped for and more. I think I am in love with The Joker now. wub.gif I was very impressed with Heaths portrayal of the Joker because in my mind when I read the comics, The Joker always appeared to me like that. A manical, unstable man who lives to watch the world burn bascially. Always testing people like some kind of demented socialogist just to see what people will do when they are instigated. The Two-Face character played by Eckheart wasnt bad. I didnt really like the make-up job they did with him though. I thought it revealed too much and it didnt look realistic at all where as the wounds with The Jokers make-up were done much more realistically IMO.

I'm in the minority as far as I can tell, but I thought the film went to sh*t at the point Dent became TwoFace. It's a shame, too, because the latest interpretation of the Joker was brilliant, and they'd pretty much avoided the goofy gizmo angle that has pervaded so many versions of Batman and his villains. To me, once Dent was lost, the film jumped the shark.

I agree with you about the TwoFace make-up. It was way over the top to the point of the ridiculous, which, again, the film had avoided up to that point. I just couldn't buy that kind of damage being brushed off...and not even effecting his speech. Just stupid. Equally lame was the two ferries scene. People just sit there...and vote? Criminals don't react? I sat there shaking my head through the rest of the film, shocked that they'd taken it in such an idiotic direction that culminated in Gordon's speech...one of the worst written pieces of crap I can remember.

Again, I thought the move was brilliant for the first 90-100 minutes. The hospital scene was genius, as was the opening bank robbery and many other elements. But for as much dogging as the Indy Jones flick took, I'm surpised more people aren't pointing out how pathetic this thing ended.

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 1 2008, 08:44 PM)
I finally saw this movie!  OMG it was amazing!  biggrin.gif  It was everything I hoped for and more.  I think I am in love with The Joker now.  wub.gif  I was very impressed with Heaths portrayal of the Joker because in my mind when I read the comics, The Joker always appeared to me like that. A manical, unstable man who lives to watch the world burn bascially. Always testing people like some kind of demented socialogist just to see what people will do when they are instigated.  The Two-Face character played by Eckheart  wasnt bad. I didnt really like the make-up job they did with him though. I thought it revealed too much and it didnt look realistic at all where as the wounds with The Jokers make-up were done much more realistically IMO.

I'm in the minority as far as I can tell, but I thought the film went to sh*t at the point Dent became TwoFace. It's a shame, too, because the latest interpretation of the Joker was brilliant, and they'd pretty much avoided the goofy gizmo angle that has pervaded so many versions of Batman and his villains. To me, once Dent was lost, the film jumped the shark.

I agree with you about the TwoFace make-up. It was way over the top to the point of the ridiculous, which, again, the film had avoided up to that point. I just couldn't buy that kind of damage being brushed off...and not even effecting his speech. Just stupid. Equally lame was the two ferries scene. People just sit there...and vote? Criminals don't react? I sat there shaking my head through the rest of the film, shocked that they'd taken it in such an idiotic direction that culminated in Gordon's speech...one of the worst written pieces of crap I can remember.

Again, I thought the move was brilliant for the first 90-100 minutes. The hospital scene was genius, as was the opening bank robbery and many other elements. But for as much dogging as the Indy Jones flick took, I'm surpised more people aren't pointing out how pathetic this thing ended.

It's a comic book movie. There's nothing in The Dark Knight that you don't see in other comic book movies or read in comic books.

The Joker is a terrorist. He terrorized everybody in Gotham City. I had no problem, whatsoever, with the last 1/3 of The Dark Knight.

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 1 2008, 07:44 PM)
I finally saw this movie!  OMG it was amazing!  biggrin.gif  It was everything I hoped for and more.  I think I am in love with The Joker now.  wub.gif  I was very impressed with Heaths portrayal of the Joker because in my mind when I read the comics, The Joker always appeared to me like that. A manical, unstable man who lives to watch the world burn bascially. Always testing people like some kind of demented socialogist just to see what people will do when they are instigated.  The Two-Face character played by Eckheart  wasnt bad. I didnt really like the make-up job they did with him though. I thought it revealed too much and it didnt look realistic at all where as the wounds with The Jokers make-up were done much more realistically IMO.

I understand what you are saying. Actually I think it would have been better if Two-Face didnt die at the end and he was just sent to Arkham or something. Because then in the next film he could come back as the villian and that would destroy Gothams faith in their hero and really make the Jokers message shine true. Which would be an interesting psychological turn in the story IMO.

Also did anyone else notice the parallels between what Dr. Crane said and what the Joker said about Batman and what he will become. It almost seemed to me that Nolan was planning on bringing the Joker back possibly with The Scarecrow because he doesnt die at the end. He gets sent to Arkham, but with Ledger passing away I dont think that anyone else would even touch that role because his preformance was too incredible.

But as it turns out it is rumoured that the Riddler and Penguin are in the next one. I think having Two-Face come back and maybe having Catwoman in there would be a better choice for the next one. Bringing Catwoman in would be perfect timing because Rachel is gone now and Batman needs a new love interest. Its just a shame Michelle Phfiefer proly wont reprise her role because she was brilliant IMO! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 1 2008, 07:50 PM)

It's a comic book movie. There's nothing in The Dark Knight that you don't see in other comic book movies or read in comic books.

Well, up to the last part, most of the "comic book" crap was left out, leaving it with more of a "graphic novel" feel, which was what I was expecting. Still don't understand why they took it that direction...a turn for the worse if you ask me.

By the way, I understand the Joker character and his psychopathology. I thought they handled it well most of the film - his terror was so intimate, so simple. But the ferries didn't jive, just like Batman's cell phone sonar rigging, TwoFace's air-conditioned face and Gordon's ramblings. I was really, really surprised when it went that way.

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 1 2008, 09:17 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 1 2008, 07:50 PM)

Well, up to the last part, most of the "comic book" crap was left out, leaving it with more of a "graphic novel" feel, which was what I was expecting. Still don't understand why they took it that direction...a turn for the worse if you ask me.

By the way, I understand the Joker character and his psychopathology. I thought they handled it well most of the film - his terror was so intimate, so simple. But the ferries didn't jive, just like Batman's cell phone sonar rigging, TwoFace's air-conditioned face and Gordon's ramblings. I was really, really surprised when it went that way.

I've read "graphic novels" where comparable things happen. Graphic novels are really no more than glorified comic books.

Also, all the science fiction/gizmo stuff was firmly established in Batman Begins. Again, it's a comic book movie. And a damn good one.

lol..

i was at the dark knight today.. good movie.

but there was a dork at the crowd with a Jokers make up who in the middle of the movies went to the stage and shouted Spoilers.. the guards took him away

When graphic novels first began to appear, they were quite different from the monthly titles. Most of them didn't have to abide by code, so they were much more adult in nature, which attracted better writers and artists. Since then, they have become compilations of the monthly title arranged by arcs.

So they have become a marketing ploy, but there is still the occassional graphic novel that is far removed from the stuff you'll find at the local drug store or at Borders.

Batman usually attracts writers that are up to the task of representing the graphic novel well. I'd recommend THE ULTIMATE EVIL as an example of an outstanding piece of literature that just happens to be illustrated.

I've just seen it, and I'm not too sure what to make of it. I think I need to see it again to really soak it all in.

Regardless, it's still easily a 9 star film, but there's something about it that made it so different to Batman Begins, and I'd really like to put my finger on it. I really like Ledger's performance as The Joker, but can't actually see where this Oscar stuff is coming from, not yet anyway. He was abit too 'Jokey' wink.gif for me, however, I fully expect that opinion to change after I see it again.

Was it just me, or did anyone else find it interesting the film was split between two villains? Nice touch that Dent had at least 20 minutes where he was the main man.

But yeah, great film.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Aug 7 2008, 07:21 PM)
I really like Ledger's performance as The Joker, but can't actually see where this Oscar stuff is coming from, not yet anyway. He was abit too 'Jokey' wink.gif for me, however, I fully expect that opinion to change after I see it again.

Too "jokey"!!!! If Ledger's Joker is too "jokey", what does that make Jack Nicholson's Joker?

One of the reasons The Dark Knight is such a good movie is the casting. Every major actor nailed their performance.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 7 2008, 11:27 PM)
I really like Ledger's performance as The Joker, but can't actually see where this Oscar stuff is coming from, not yet anyway. He was abit too 'Jokey' wink.gif  for me, however, I fully expect that opinion to change after I see it again.

Too "jokey"!!!! If Ledger's Joker is too "jokey", what does that make Jack Nicholson's Joker?

One of the reasons The Dark Knight is such a good movie is the casting. Every major actor nailed their performance.

It makes Nickolson's Joker crap laugh.gif

I think I was expecting him to be more hard-edged than he was. But then I'm probably missing the point. Anyway, ask me again in a weeks time wink.gif

And yes, the casting has been superb for the last two films. All I hope is they make the right choice and choose David Tennant as The Riddler for an upcoming film.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Aug 7 2008, 03:54 PM)
I really like Ledger's performance as The Joker, but can't actually see where this Oscar stuff is coming from, not yet anyway. He was abit too 'Jokey' wink.gif  for me, however, I fully expect that opinion to change after I see it again.

I think I was expecting him to be more hard-edged than he was. But then I'm probably missing the point. Anyway, ask me again in a weeks time wink.gif

And yes, the casting has been superb for the last two films. All I hope is they make the right choice and choose David Tennant as The Riddler for an upcoming film.

I never thought about that but David Tennant would be a good choice. My picks are Daniel Day Lewis or Paul Bettany. And if neither of them do it, Johnny Depp. bolt.gif

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Aug 8 2008, 12:08 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Aug 7 2008, 03:54 PM)

I never thought about that but David Tennant would be a good choice. My picks are Daniel Day Lewis or Paul Bettany. And if neither of them do it, Johnny Depp. bolt.gif

He's publicly come out saying he wants to do it. Apparently, it's one of his boyhood dreams; the other was Doctor Who and look at the spectacular job he did there. I think he deserves the chance - he was demonic when he played Barty Crouch Jr. so I think he could do it.