I'm Turning into a Metalhead!

sullysue

www.utorrent.com

www.thepiratebay.org

www.slsknet.org

If you're going to illegally (oh no, you bastards!) grab music, at least don't blow up your computer with Limewire.

Oh... and metal... uhhh, I don't listen to it much anymore. Tried hardcore? Do a search for Glassjaw and Sky Eats Airplane.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 2 2008, 11:10 PM)
Welcome to the family Sully. 1022.gif

When you think you're up to it... grab some Slayer. They make old school Metallica sound like Air Supply. laugh.gif

Also try some early Anthrax, MegaDeth and any PANTERA. You will absolutely LOVE Pantera. Cowboys from Hell is the album I would recommend for you. You will NEVER be the same though... so be careful and be sure you are ready to fully accept the call. laugh.gif

In addition to Necro's warm welcome, may I, as probably the oldest female metalhead on the board, welcome you whole-heartedly to the exclusive club!

NOTHING pumps the blood and stirs the soul quite like heavy metal music! Metal is an in-your-face metabolism boost that reminds you that you are vibrantly ALIVE.

Metal is sexually charged, which is why, IMO, some women can't handle it - - most women still are too reserved and can't handle the full freedoms of their sexual natures.

We just saw Maiden on June 20th. (Check out the pics we took on the Maiden thread.) There were fewer women at Maiden than even at RUSH. It amazes me!!

Tell your husband that I applaud his patience - - he will be well rewarded!!! wink.gif

I'm sooooooooooooooooooo proud of you!!!!!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 1022.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 2 2008, 11:08 PM)
My advice is don't use Limewire, that shit will give your computer so many viruses you won't know what to do with it. BitTorrent for life. And you can download entire albums that way.

Good advice. LimeWire becomes your computer's enemy the minute you install it.

old school ; Iron maiden killers

thrash metal ; voivod - killing technology

or death angel - ACT III ( trust me on this one )

Metal is great , because musically it can go anywhere really .

into jazz , classical , folk , anywhwere .

death angels act III has more styles of music on that album than most bands out there .

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 2 2008, 10:44 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 2 2008, 10:10 PM)
Welcome to the family Sully.  1022.gif 

When you think you're up to it... grab some Slayer.  They make old school Metallica sound like Air Supply.  laugh.gif 

Also try some early Anthrax, MegaDeth and any PANTERA.  You will absolutely LOVE Pantera.  Cowboys from Hell is the album I would recommend for you.  You will NEVER be the same though... so be careful and be sure you are ready to fully accept the call.  laugh.gif

OK. Check. Got it.

did i not mention to be gentle? rofl3.gif

1022.gif

edit to say that Pantera is a home grown phenomenon for us. We all love Pantera. Proud as shit of them we are! We'll always have dimebag in our hearts. heart.gif I have a story about Pantera to tell. PM me and I'll tell you! Seriously. yes.gif

Have you or anyone here heard Rebel Meets Rebel. I read about this project a while back David Allen Coe 1022.gif and Dimebag.

Sounds like my cup of tea!

haha- just found this clip on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY1qIQb5cmE&feature=related

ps- the pantera songs on the spongebob discs rule too!

edit- this one seals the deal for me. What a song!

1022.gif cool10.gif 1022.gif

welcome................................... 1022.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 2 2008, 07:17 PM)
And, holy crap! The artwork that Iron Maiden uses is just plain gross. I always thought, "Ew. No thanks."

I got to hang out with the guy that did all their artwork last year. Way cool guy...constantly cracking jokes.

Maiden has been my favorite for 25 years now..welcome aboard! 1022.gif

welcome to metal

strangulation , mutilation , cancer of the brain . limb dissection , amptutation from a mind derranged .

These are my favorite Hard Rock/Metal bands

I'm sure the hardcore Metal fans are going to probably rip me on my favorites cause its not metal enough for ya. Sorry in advance, these are the most metal bands I listen to.

Black Sabbath

Dio

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Dream Theater

Kings X

Soundgarden

Ozzy

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 4 2008, 12:25 PM)
These are my favorite Hard Rock/Metal bands

I'm sure the hardcore Metal fans are going to probably rip me on my favorites cause its not metal enough for ya. Sorry in advance, these are the most metal bands I listen to.

Black Sabbath
Dio
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Dream Theater
Kings X
Soundgarden
Ozzy

I've been a huge Soundgarden fan ever since a friend gave me Louder than Love. Chris Cornell is one of my fav singers ever. I guess since they came out of the Grunge movement, I never really considered them Metal. They are harder than a lot of the others, though. A really great band, and I hope they can get it together and put out some more music. I have some stuff by Dream Theater, but for whatever reason I haven't been able to really get into them. Iron Maiden and early Metallica by far are the ones that impress me the most at this point.

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jul 3 2008, 09:30 AM)

When you think you're up to it... grab some Slayer.  They make old school Metallica sound like Air Supply.  laugh.gif 

Also try some early Anthrax, MegaDeth and any PANTERA.  You will absolutely LOVE Pantera.  Cowboys from Hell is the album I would recommend for you.  You will NEVER be the same though... so be careful and be sure you are ready to fully accept the call.  laugh.gif

In addition to Necro's warm welcome, may I, as probably the oldest female metalhead on the board, welcome you whole-heartedly to the exclusive club!

NOTHING pumps the blood and stirs the soul quite like heavy metal music! Metal is an in-your-face metabolism boost that reminds you that you are vibrantly ALIVE.

Metal is sexually charged, which is why, IMO, some women can't handle it - - most women still are too reserved and can't handle the full freedoms of their sexual natures.

We just saw Maiden on June 20th. (Check out the pics we took on the Maiden thread.) There were fewer women at Maiden than even at RUSH. It amazes me!!

Tell your husband that I applaud his patience - - he will be well rewarded!!! wink.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

You know, it's occurred to me that I seem to be attracted to things that don't typically draw many women. For example, this music thing. Secondly, the career field for which I'm in school (web design and development) I'm finding isn't exactly crawling with chicks. laugh.gif

What do you think that means? confused13.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 4 2008, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jul 3 2008, 09:30 AM)

Hare biggrin.gif

You know, it's occurred to me that I seem to be attracted to things that don't typically draw many women. For example, this music thing. Secondly, the career field for which I'm in school (web design and development) I'm finding isn't exactly crawling with chicks. laugh.gif

What do you think that means? confused13.gif

It means that you're comfortable enough in your own skin to make your own choices regardless of stereotypes!!

Congratulations!!! Some women are in therapy for twenty years before they reach that level!!

Hint: Dream Theater is such technically complicated music that, upon first review, you should allow yourself absolutely NO distractions. Completely relax and devote your full attention to the melodies and movement of the music. We had a similar experience when we first heard them, didn't quite connect. Then after hearing them on Goob's show and on Tick's suggestions - - we are OBSESSED!!! Love them!!!

1022.gif Rock on Sistah!!! 1022.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jul 4 2008, 03:23 PM)

It means that you're comfortable enough in your own skin to make your own choices regardless of stereotypes!!

Congratulations!!! Some women are in therapy for twenty years before they reach that level!!

Hint: Dream Theater is such technically complicated music that, upon first review, you should allow yourself absolutely NO distractions. Completely relax and devote your full attention to the melodies and movement of the music. We had a similar experience when we first heard them, didn't quite connect. Then after hearing them on Goob's show and on Tick's suggestions - - we are OBSESSED!!! Love them!!!

1022.gif Rock on Sistah!!! 1022.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

That makes me feel better. smile.gif I've always been that way, though. I remember as far back as in Jr. High being the ONLY female Rush fan I knew of on the planet and facing that "No Girls Allowed" attitude from the guys. Of course, my response was "f**k you. I'll listen to what I want," but I stopped trying to become a member of the "club." I went underground with it, if you will. Even into adulthood, I NEVER met another woman who liked them. It always seemed so strange to me. When I joined TRF, I was utterly shocked that there were so many female Rush fans.

At any rate, I will take your advise and give some focus to Dream Theater. I know they're a great band, I just need to take some time with it.

Thanks for the positive words. cool.gif

i'm really into metal. but mainly newer stuff, mostly death metal. the black dahlia murder, necrophagist, behemoth, nile, hate eternal, cattle decapitation, kataklysm, etc. not really into much older stuff. mainly cannibal corpse(but i prefer george than chris), megadeth, metallica, pantera, and a few more. i hate slayer, can't stand them. not into black sabbath or judas priest, which i don't really consider metal. and i for sure don't consider def leppard metal.

if you're only liking the older metal then the newer stuff might not be for you. it's alot different. metal today and metal of the past are two completely different things.

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jul 4 2008, 09:23 PM)
Hint: Dream Theater is such technically complicated music that, upon first review, you should allow yourself absolutely NO distractions. Completely relax and devote your full attention to the melodies and movement of the music.

True

However, you will still come to the conclusion that it's utter bollocks. wink.gif

Metal is the business. For me, I love:

Diamond Head (the British band, not the horrible Japanese one)

Saxon

Motorhead

Slayer (essential)

Early Metallica

Iron Maiden

Celtic Frost

Megadeth

Kings X (again - essential)

Judas Priest

And many more. Not so keen on modern metal though, it's a bit wanky...

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jul 5 2008, 09:44 AM)

And many more. Not so keen on modern metal though, it's a bit wanky...

Agree'd . Newer metal is just trying to get more & more extreme . So when you have 10000000000.00000 . black / death metal bands all in the same circle - it gets boring fast .

Of course there are some dooozies out there though .

but for extreme metal .

cannibal corpses - the bleeding is the best death metal album ever .

lordgore's - resickend

gorerotteds - mutilated in minutes / only tools and corpses .

morbid angel - covanent

cradle of filths - midian

^ all the above are worthy to call a masterpiece IMO . But totally understand why they arent mentioned for someone JUST getting into metal .

And as for the dream theatre recommendation . I find " images & words " absorbs best while driving - not relaxing . Kind of like satriani's - surfin with the alien . Im rambling now . stop me .

KING DIAMOND HASNT BEEN MENTIONED ?!?!?!?! - the new album destroys .

Why go backwards?

Plenty of good metal coming out these days.

I saw Between the buried and me recently and just amazed at how good they were live. Try Colors by BTBAM.

Sadly, I missed Mastodon when they came to town but really enjoy their Blood Mountain release.

I think I'll hold off on the Death Metal for right now, if you guys don't mind. laugh.gif

(I'm having a hard time as it is explaining to my mom why my 5-year-old is singing " music.gif Six, six, six. The number of the beast. music.gif " This is my mom right now: huh.gif . rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif )

Archived