I'm Turning into a Metalhead!

sullysue

QUOTE (moltenlava @ Aug 5 2008, 01:40 PM)
rotting, you mentioned Sacrifice to me and I loved those samples that I heard. Gunna try and track me down something from them. Any suggestions? What was their latest?....Hey, how about this Onslaught? Now, that is one helluva band. Evil as all hell. And, their comeback release, 'Killing Peace' is just as good as the Exodus an Testament titles that I'm drooling over. Ya definitely need that one. Who's a fan of Ripper Owens? And, who's heard any samples from the upcoming Metallica?

First off , Looking forward to the new metallica , is lets say ........... Like looking for an old well soiled pair of underwear to wear , and think its gonna smell tide fresh . Its just not worth the trouble .

Sacrifice material you need ;

forward to termination

soldiers of misfortune

apocalypse inside

someone mentioned diamondhead . I really recommend all their releases . Youll be suprised how close " musically " it was to metallicas remakes of the songs .

2.gif

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (fritz44 @ Aug 5 2008, 03:09 PM)
I'm an old school heavy metal fan, partial to a bit of new, but much prefer the late 70's and early 80's stuff. Any self-respecting fan of 'metal' must haves (IMHO) are

AC/DC - Powerage & If You Want Blood... You've Got It
Sabbath - Masters of Reality & Vol 4
Priest - Stained Class & British Steel
Motorheed (sic) - Motorhead & Overkill
UFO - Obession
Van Halen - Van Halen

Someone mentioned Am I Evil? by Metallica. I don't know any of their stuff, but Diamond Head recorded a track by the same name, and Metallica often used to name check Diamond Head. Sean Harris and Brian Tatler wrote Diamond Head's version, but could someone check if they are creditted with the song on Metallica's version?

Right now is actually a tremendous high point for Heavy Metal. With all the quality and consistency that's going on, I'm apt to say that from around 2005 to 2008 just might be the best era of Metal yet. And, I'm pretty familiar with each era preceding.

Recently got really interested in the roots of Hard Rock/Metal too. And if you're interested in those recordings you just listed you might want to look into these ones as well. Some of these are bands that weren't too hot overall, but had that one really significant album. I notice you mention Priest's Stained Class and British Steel, and pretty much everything JP from '76 to '81 is outstanding. This list of stuff starts in the mid 70's and goes through '81.

Jethro Tull - Benefit

Deep Purple - Fireball

Trapeze - Medusa

Budgie - Squawk

Mountain - Nantucket Sleighride

Judas Priest - Sin After Sin

Rainbow - Rising

Dust - Hard Attack

Deep Purple - Stormbringer

Budgie - In For The Kill

Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards

Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies

Nazareth - Hair of the Dog

UFO - Force It

Motorhead - Ace of Spades

Saxon - Strong Arm of the Law

Angel Witch - s/t

Diamond Head - Lighning to the Nations

White Spirit - s/t

Def Leppard - High and Dry

I found a few excellent 'Heavy Prog' titles from the 70's as well, if anyone's interested in names.

Archived