I'm Turning into a Metalhead!

sullysue

QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 7 2008, 11:36 AM)

Definitely not into Slayer at all.

Nor do I like Iron Maiden at all. Musically they are ok, lyrically they are lame.

Slayer are the best thing in the world for picking you up when you are down biggrin.gif Although my nana doesn't agree................

How you can call Iron Maiden's lyrics lame is beyond me, they are some of the most thoughtful and indisghtful in the world of Metal, and if ripping off Samuel Taylor Coleridge is good enough for Neil, then so be it for Iron Maiden 1022.gif

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She said Priest and Sabbath tongue.gif 1022.gif trink36.gif

QUOTE (Mariella @ Jul 13 2008, 05:40 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 7 2008, 11:36 AM)

Definitely not into Slayer at all. 

Nor do I like Iron Maiden at all. Musically they are ok, lyrically they are lame.

Slayer are the best thing in the world for picking you up when you are down biggrin.gif Although my nana doesn't agree................

How you can call Iron Maiden's lyrics lame is beyond me, they are some of the most thoughtful and indisghtful in the world of Metal, and if ripping off Samuel Taylor Coleridge is good enough for Neil, then so be it for Iron Maiden 1022.gif

true, but you still can't deny that among other genres there are tons of bands with better lyrics.

may i suggest some lordgore ?

QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 7 2008, 12:36 PM)

no.gif Have to totally disagree with you there Tangy!!!

Can you be more specific about what it is exactly that you don't like about Maiden's lyrics???

I'm curious.

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 22 2008, 10:10 PM)
I like Tool.

Is that OK? unsure.gif

I LOVE 10,000 Days. It's gotten me through about 10,000 hours of cardio. So, in my book, they rock. smile.gif

laugh.gif

653.gif

i love tool, some folk here don't like them. 1022.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 22 2008, 08:10 PM)
I like Tool.

Is that OK? unsure.gif

I LOVE 10,000 Days. It's gotten me through about 10,000 hours of cardio. So, in my book, they rock. smile.gif

laugh.gif

653.gif

Sully, have you checked out any Priest yet?

if your going to buy one album < metal or not > to be the one to own when stranded on a desert island

slayer - reign in blood - nothing touches it

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh , and btw - tool is OK . Better videos than actual songs though . but i dig em non the less for the whole package .

Guilty as charged. For a looong time I was mostly into both Prog and Jazz, with just a sprinkling of Heavy Metal for good measure. During my H.S. and College years I would listen to Metallica, Anthrax, Queensryche and Sabbath. But, nothing else. Then, VH1 ran their Metal month in October of '07, I believe. Their programming that month got me and a neighbor much more interested in the genre. We started exploring a bunch of stuff that we missed the first time around. I started to explore the back catalog for Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. So many great albums. Maiden had their best stuff in the 80's, whereas for Priest it was the 70's that held their true power. Then, these old school artists had new products on the market which were the truest returns to form. I picked up the new Maiden and Priest and was hugely satisfied. This got me interested in other traditional sounding Metal bands like Iced Earth, Megadeth and Dio. All three of these have amazing back catalogs, and continue to put out stuff on par with their best. I then became interested in modern Metal. Not the Nu-Metal stuff, I despise that breed. But, several newer bands are performing a Metal hybrid that is tremendously artistic and bearing a huge degree of musical integrity. I started getting into Dream Theater, Baroness, Lamb of God, Mastodon, Giant Squid, etc. Several of these newer bands are quite progressive, but aside from DT, progressive in ways never explored. And, thus, I am now a full pledged Metal head.

My name is Chris and I am a relapsing Metal head.

QUOTE (moltenlava @ Jul 26 2008, 10:42 AM)
Guilty as charged. For a looong time I was mostly into both Prog and Jazz, with just a sprinkling of Heavy Metal for good measure. During my H.S. and College years I would listen to Metallica, Anthrax, Queensryche and Sabbath. But, nothing else. Then, VH1 ran their Metal month in October of '07, I believe. Their programming that month got me and a neighbor much more interested in the genre. We started exploring a bunch of stuff that we missed the first time around. I started to explore the back catalog for Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. So many great albums. Maiden had their best stuff in the 80's, whereas for Priest it was the 70's that held their true power. Then, these old school artists had new products on the market which were the truest returns to form. I picked up the new Maiden and Priest and was hugely satisfied. This got me interested in other traditional sounding Metal bands like Iced Earth, Megadeth and Dio. All three of these have amazing back catalogs, and continue to put out stuff on par with their best. I then became interested in modern Metal. Not the Nu-Metal stuff, I despise that breed. But, several newer bands are performing a Metal hybrid that is tremendously artistic and bearing a huge degree of musical integrity. I started getting into Dream Theater, Baroness, Lamb of God, Mastodon, Giant Squid, etc. Several of these newer bands are quite progressive, but aside from DT, progressive in ways never explored. And, thus, I am now a full pledged Metal head.

My name is Chris and I am a relapsing Metal head.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

LOL. I forgot to make mention of three bands that were part of the orginal Thrash explosion of the 80's. I never liked anything from these three bands back when I first heard of them. Then, say about 18 months ago, I began to explore their most recent stuff and found it to be hugely appealing. Instead of displaying just thin, thrashy/punk guitar parts, screeching vocals and bad writing, these bands have made a significant jump in quality, become something like a Power Metal/Thrash hybrid. And, they're writing and performing some of the best stuff of their careers. The production on these albums are, literally, the best I'VE EVER HEARD in the genre. They totally destroy. The total polar opposites of Metallica. The bands that I'm talking about are Testament, Exodus and Overkill. If you like Metal, I defy you to go check out the newest release from Testament, as well as the last two from Exodus. Unbelievably good. In constant rotation over here. Those three first before looking at the Overkill material, which is just as small margin behind the other two. But, this stuff is REAL METAL. No watered down POP substitute here. The actual stuff right from the tap.

exodus - fabulous dissaster , is the best

QUOTE (rotting @ Jul 30 2008, 01:07 AM)

Yeah, I'm really starting to appreciate the earlier stuff, but right now I'm heavily steeped in the revamped lineup. Rob Dukes on vocals brings a whole new vibe to the band. They've evolved into something much more brutal over their last three albums. And, it hasn't been at the sacrifice of the songs. There's some real standout stuff on the these albums. Tempo of the Damned, Shovel Headed Kill Machine and The Atrocity Exhibition. I'm reaching for these albums over and over. Very few songs disappoint.

Testament has had a long period of inactivity over the last decade, but even they just dropped one of the biggest albums of their career. Love the new one and 1999's The Gathering. Bigtime. Overkill hasn't been as consistent over the long haul as the two aformentioned, but recent things like Killbox 13 and Immortalis are sweet. Staying within Thrash, Death Angel just released a pretty good recording.

Also, really getting into some of this new crop. Loving a new band called Gojira, who are like a cross between Sludge and Death. Might not sound too appetizing, but these guys craft some really inventive tunes. Bands like Mastodon and Baroness have evolved into Sludgy Progressive powerhouses. The last two from these cats are absolute masterpieces. Balls deep in the Iced Earth catalog at present. So many great albums there. The last few have been real conceptual and I've always had a soft spot for that direction. There's a totally innovative band called Giant Squid, who I won't even try to explain. You have to just hear these guys. I think there's three dudes and two chicks in this band. They are progressive in a way you've never heard before. All kinds of strange instrumentation, including cellos, violins and mellotrons. Great, great stuff.

One thing I can not seem to get into is Symphonic Metal. One exception to that is Ayreon. If you've never heard of this outfit, the name is meant more to represent a project brought together by the guitarist and sole songwriter, Arjen Lucassen. This guy writes double album concept pieces which are undeniably brilliant. Then, he calls in the planet's top Prog-Rock/Metal talent to record these albums. There's usually 6 to 8 vocalists on each album, several keyboardists and other musicians. Huge scale projects, these things. Really well conceived and executed. This is a band that is many times appealing to those who aren't even into Metal. Lot of Prog-Rock fans like these guys. But, it's the other bands in this genre that I really can't get into no matter how much I try. Bands like Kamelot, Epica, Nightwish, Therion, etc.

Anyone else out there have a taste for any of the thousand or so sub-genres of Metal?

they have re-recorded bonded by blood. that is f-n lame . that album is a thrash classic

Yeah, I'm not digging the idea of rerecording Bonded by Blood. It's a classic and Paul Baloff gave one of the best thrash vocal performances ever on that album. He sounded like a genuinely insane person on that album. I've never heard anything like it.

i really can't believe they would do that .

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 30 2008, 09:42 AM)

they have re-recorded bonded by blood. that is f-n lame . that album is a thrash classic

That certainly doesn't sound like a good idea on paper. But, Metaldad, if you happen to be a Bush-era Anthrax fan, you'd know that this band put out an album of remakes of their earlier stuff just a few years back. I thought I was gunna despise it, but it grooved in a big fat way. Iced Earth just did the same thing with Overture of the Wicked. Sounds amazing. I don't know if you guys are familiar with the Exodus direction of the last three albums, but a remake of BBB might sound awesome....Maybe not. lol. But, I would suggest getting acquainted with the three albums I mentioned before listened to any BBB remake. Shovel Headed Kill Machine is the one to get before the other two. I think there's sufficient kill factor on that one to make anyone a fan again. Maybe the band feels like they are too damn good right now and still not enough people are paying attention to what they got to offer. So, their thinking could be that a remake of an this old classic might bring more folks into the fold. Who knows. But, the new stuff really is exceptional. A remake of BBB if a real dicey affair though.

QUOTE (moltenlava @ Jul 30 2008, 10:30 AM)

That certainly doesn't sound like a good idea on paper. But, Metaldad, if you happen to be a Bush-era Anthrax fan, you'd know that this band put out an album of remakes of their earlier stuff just a few years back. I thought I was gunna despise it, but it grooved in a big fat way. Iced Earth just did the same thing with Overture of the Wicked. Sounds amazing. I don't know if you guys are familiar with the Exodus direction of the last three albums, but a remake of BBB might sound awesome....Maybe not. lol. But, I would suggest getting acquainted with the three albums I mentioned before listened to any BBB remake. Shovel Headed Kill Machine is the one to get before the other two. I think there's sufficient kill factor on that one to make anyone a fan again. Maybe the band feels like they are too damn good right now and still not enough people are paying attention to what they got to offer. So, their thinking could be that a remake of an this old classic might bring more folks into the fold. Who knows. But, the new stuff really is exceptional. A remake of BBB if a real dicey affair though.

i love the bush era anthrax, i like him the best for them but bonded by blood was one of the first classic thrash album's. it's all gary holts idea and it's a bad one....imo 1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 30 2008, 10:33 AM)

i love the bush era anthrax, i like him the best for them but bonded by blood was one of the first classic thrash album's. it's all gary holts idea and it's a bad one....imo 1022.gif

Have you checked out any of the last three Exodus albums I mentioned? What you feel about Bush, I feel the same about the new Exodus singer, Rob Dukes. I understand that they had two long-standing vocalists before this, but Dukes has got something the others don't. And, his voice has made this band much more brutal. I've never heard as many consistently good songs from any period of this band. Mind you, I did come into the story from the back end. Maybe I would feel differently if I was there from the beginning. But, to my ear, this version of Exodus crushes. You really must get the at least the one I mentioned...Where is this news of a BBB remake coming from? I haven't heard anything along those lines. As far as I know, they are dropping the second installment of 'The Atrocity Exhibition' this year. 'Exhibit B'.

QUOTE (moltenlava @ Jul 30 2008, 10:52 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 30 2008, 10:33 AM)

Have you checked out any of the last three Exodus albums I mentioned? What you feel about Bush, I feel the same about the new Exodus singer, Rob Dukes. I understand that they had two long-standing vocalists before this, but Dukes has got something the others don't. And, his voice has made this band much more brutal. I've never heard as many consistently good songs from any period of this band. Mind you, I did come into the story from the back end. Maybe I would feel differently if I was there from the beginning. But, to my ear, this version of Exodus crushes. You really must get the at least the one I mentioned...Where is this news of a BBB remake coming from? I haven't heard anything along those lines. As far as I know, they are dropping the second installment of 'The Atrocity Exhibition' this year. 'Exhibit B'.

i have shovel headed kill machine. great album. i don't have the latest one yet. the bonded by blood re-recording is all over the internet. i saw an interview with gary holt. the new singer even said that he wished paul was alive so HE [paul] could re-record it. to me it's like re doing other classic album's with some other member's

imagine -

black sabbath - with dio

van halen 1 -with sammy hagar

judas priest - sin after sin -with ripper. that is f-n horrible. that's just my point. i am not saying it won't sound good, im just saying leave some shit alone trink39.gif

have not heard it yet, but it does sound corny trink39.gif

Archived