I'm Turning into a Metalhead!

sullysue

I don't know why, but I've always resisted getting into bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica , and Black Sabbath. My husband is a HUGE metalhead and has been for the good part of our 12-year marriage trying to get me to listen to this stuff. I've always liked hard rock, you know like Rush and stuff, but had this pre-conceived idea of heavy metal being all totally annoying. (Some of it truly is. Sorry.) And, holy crap! The artwork that Iron Maiden uses is just plain gross. I always thought, "Ew. No thanks."

Well, I made the mistake of introducing my husband to LimeWire, and he's been an illegal downloading fool since. (Forgive me. I didn't know I'd create a monster. sad.gif ) Anyway, he's been burning stuff from the aforementioned bands like crazy and made a disk of various songs to listen to in his truck. The kids LOVE this kind of music. My sweet, angelic girl, Savannah, knows the words to Number of the Beast and Run for the Hills, Master of Puppets and Am I Evil for God's sake.

So, at any rate, the kids played this CD that Dad made. One of the first songs is Rime of the Ancient Mariner. And, I found myself really digging it. (I have to say, though, there is one part of that song that makes me think the dudes in Iron Maiden must have listened to La Villa Strangiato more than once or twice. Just my opinion. Let me know what ya'll think.) What an amazing song with great lyrics and time changes and monster drums, the whole thing.

I like Iron Maiden the most, so far. But, I'm really getting into Priest, old school Metallica and Sabbath like crazy.

Cygnalschick will be so proud! laugh.gif

Suggestions are welcomed, since, believe it or not, this is kind of a new genre to me. smile.gif Be gentle, though. laugh.gif

(p.s. I'm loading that CD onto my iTunes right now and will tell you guys what exactly is on it.)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 2 2008, 09:25 PM)
I'm in no way a Metalhead, but I would suggest some Dio-era Sabbath, Heaven and Hell is as good as any Ozzy-era Sabbath. Mob Rules is also pretty good.

My husband says he was at the Last in Line concert in Dallas. He's not sure if that's the name of it. But, he's so freakin' hyped that I'm actually listening to his music. laugh.gif

Argggg. One more thing he was right about. I'm doomed. tongue.gif

OK. This is what is on that CD. I want to get more Iron Maiden. 1022.gif

Electric Eye - Judas Priest

Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Iron Maiden

Wasted Years - Iron Maiden

United - Judas Priest (cool song.)

Turbo Lover - Judas Priest (not such a cool song.)

Power Slave - Iron Maiden

Trapped Under Ice - Metallica (my kids know every word to this song)

No More Tears - Ozzy

Stone Cold Crazy - Metallica

Aces High - Iron Maiden

The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden

Screaming for Vengance - Judas Priest

Am I Evil? - Metallica

Bark at the Moon - Ozzy

Welcome to the family Sully. 1022.gif

When you think you're up to it... grab some Slayer. They make old school Metallica sound like Air Supply. laugh.gif

Also try some early Anthrax, MegaDeth and any PANTERA. You will absolutely LOVE Pantera. Cowboys from Hell is the album I would recommend for you. You will NEVER be the same though... so be careful and be sure you are ready to fully accept the call. laugh.gif

Try some drone metal-- Sunn O))) and Boris are both excellent bands to get into, but they're very inaccessible. Well Boris has a couple of albums that take a lot of patience but they're more along the lines of Sabbath/Motorhead-style blues metal if you know what I mean.

Give Maiden's Piece of Mind album a listen to ...especially these tracks

-Flight of Icarus

-Revelations

-The Trooper

Recommended Ozzy-era Sabbath

-After Forever

-War Pigs

-Fairies Wear Boots

-Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

-Supernaut

Metallica's black album would probably be up your alley (though I love the early stuff and right now I dislike them for reasons other than their music.)

Note: Stone Cold Crazy is actually a Queen song covered by Metallica

If you want I can provide youtube links to some songs smile.gif

Also, get Black Sabbath's first four albums. I'm talking the original four-- Black Sabbath (1969), Paranoid (1970), Master of Reality (1971), and Vol. 4 (1972). Four excellent metal albums.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Jul 2 2008, 11:19 PM)
Also, get Black Sabbath's first four albums. I'm talking the original four-- Black Sabbath (1969), Paranoid (1970), Master of Reality (1971), and Vol. 4 (1972). Four excellent metal albums.

The 5th is awesome as well....SABOTAGE!!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Rush! @ Jul 2 2008, 10:19 PM)

I used to have your "DISINTEGRATION" avatar, also was my vote for most perfect album -

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jul 2 2008, 11:22 PM)

I used to have your "DISINTEGRATION" avatar, also was my vote for most perfect album -

I think I remember when you had it-- it is probably my second favorite Cure album after Faith. "Plainsong" is probably their best opener too, the sounds on that one are just mesmerizing.

And Test, I haven't heard Sabotage or Sabbath Bloody Sabbath but I've been meaning to get them for a while. I'll keep it in mind now that you mentioned it!

QUOTE (Rush! @ Jul 2 2008, 11:30 PM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jul 2 2008, 11:22 PM)

I think I remember when you had it-- it is probably my second favorite Cure album after Faith. "Plainsong" is probably their best opener too, the sounds on that one are just mesmerizing.

And Test, I haven't heard Sabotage or Sabbath Bloody Sabbath but I've been meaning to get them for a while. I'll keep it in mind now that you mentioned it!

Yes. Highly recommended...Actually I messed up... SBS is actually 5th album and Sabotage 6th wink.gif

I haven't read most of this thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating anything.

1. congratulations on becoming a metalhead tongue.gif

2. Limewire is terrible. Any p2p method is bad, but Limewire is the worst. I recommend using music blogs, sharing forums, and just googling for rapidshare/megaupload/etc... links. Keeps the nasty RIAA-bribed speed-capping ISPs off your back.

3. I'm more of an album person than a song person, so my suggestions will be mainly albums.

I'd recommend checking out these bands:

-Blind Guardian

-Def Leppard (start with Pyromania, definitely)

-Fates Warning

-Megadeth

-Pantera

-Queensryche

-Yngwie Malmsteem

for that "classic metal" sound.

And as for Iron Maiden, these are the albums you'll definietly want to hear to start -- I would consider this the "essential" set for Maiden:

-Iron Maiden

-The Number of the Beast

-Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

-Brave New World

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 2 2008, 10:10 PM)
Welcome to the family Sully.  1022.gif 

When you think you're up to it... grab some Slayer.  They make old school Metallica sound like Air Supply.  laugh.gif 

Also try some early Anthrax, MegaDeth and any PANTERA.  You will absolutely LOVE Pantera.  Cowboys from Hell is the album I would recommend for you.  You will NEVER be the same though... so be careful and be sure you are ready to fully accept the call.  laugh.gif

OK. Check. Got it.

did i not mention to be gentle? rofl3.gif

1022.gif

edit to say that Pantera is a home grown phenomenon for us. We all love Pantera. Proud as shit of them we are! We'll always have dimebag in our hearts. heart.gif I have a story about Pantera to tell. PM me and I'll tell you! Seriously. yes.gif

It's always fun to fall in love with a new genre, it really opens up the pool of music you can listen to!

It hasn't been so long since I started getting into metal myself, and I still clearly remember the album that "flipped the switch" for me. It was Touched by the Crimson King by Demons & Wizards. Still one of my favorite albums. So I'd recommend that and also the first (self-titled) D&W album.

Just get yourself tickets to the upcoming Judas Priest/Heaven & Hell Co-headline tour this summer. Motorhead and Testament are the supporting bands. You won't be regretting it wink.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jul 2 2008, 11:56 PM)
Just get yourself tickets to the upcoming Judas Priest/Heaven & Hell Co-headline tour this summer. Motorhead and Testament are the supporting bands. You won't be regretting it wink.gif

Oh, yeah. We're gonna be wasting our time looking for those tickets when Ozzfest is making its only U.S. stop in DALLAS. We'll give you a blow-by-blow sweetheart!:hi:

iknow,iknow.We'llstillbejamingourassesoffandwavingtoyouandjustinloveyoulotsandlots.

Archived