Are you happy where you live?

ReflectedLight

Are you happy where you live?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy where you live?

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 6 2008, 11:57 AM)
Except for the cost of living, I love Connecticut. It has everything I need here. We also have the 4 seasons in all there glory. What a joy to experiance Spring and fall in New England. The Summer is hot. The Winters are cold, and though im not a big fan of the cold, Christmas always feels like it should. Weather wise, its the safest place in the country to live. For the most part we dont have Earthquakes, Tornados, Hurricares, Wild fires, Floods. There have been instances where some of this things have occured, but its very rare. atickhum.gif music.gif

This is exactly how I feel about New York state. goodpost.gif

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The North of Scotland is one of those very special places that gets under your skin and in your blood.

I can't think of anywhere I would rather live, and I've travelled across a large part of this planet we call home.

It's impossible to articulate what this place means to me, but I do know if I were forced to go, I would leave part of my heart and soul behind....

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 6 2008, 03:31 PM)
The North of Scotland is one of those very special places that gets under your skin and in your blood.

I can't think of anywhere I would rather live, and I've travelled across a large part of this planet we call home.

It's impossible to articulate what this place means to me, but I do know if I were forced to go, I would leave part of my heart and soul behind....

I'd love to feel that way about where I live. That's beautiful, my friend.

I love where I live in Prescott Valley, Arizona.

We are in the mountains at 5200 ft, it's cool in the winter (and little snow) and not too hot in the summer. This is a great city that has everything a major city has except crime, extreme traffic and pollution. Only downfall is it's Very expensive to live here. I mean very!

QUOTE (CeeJ @ Jun 5 2008, 11:50 PM)
I would leave to live in NEW YORK in a heartbeat.

yes.gif

I was born and raised in New York City. I went to school here and I work here. I HATE it! It's a death trap! It's filthy. It's expensive. The infrastructure is literally falling apart. It's over developed. The commuting sucks. But I've never seriously thought about leaving. Go figure. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Jun 6 2008, 01:56 AM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Jun 5 2008, 11:46 PM)
No place but Texas.

trink39.gif 1287.gifhttp://www.waynevermillion.com/images/Texana/BiggerThanFrance.jpg

sarcasm.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 6 2008, 04:43 PM)

yes.gif

I was born and raised in New York City. I went to school here and I work here. I HATE it! It's a death trap! It's filthy. It's expensive. The infrastructure is literally falling apart. It's over developed. The commuting sucks. But I've never seriously thought about leaving. Go figure. confused13.gif

My mother moved us from there when I was

younger because of some of the things that you

are saying.

I don't see NY that way. I look at the fact that

you can get to anywhere you want at anytime.

I look at all the things you can do there that other

places don't have. I see the beauty in a large city

that has millions of people running around 27/7.

I am guessing that some of this attracts you and keeps

you there. biggrin.gif

Yeah, I like where I live. The Raleigh area is booming and there are plenty of places to vacation in North Carolina. Raleigh is situated right in the center. If you want coast, we have beaches. If you like mountains, we got that too. Also it has one of the best local economies in the nation.

The pace is slower and people are friendly. It retains its Southern charm and adapts to newer things. It's a leader in high tech fields.

It doesn't have the downtown that most other cities have but it's certainly in the planning stages. You don't have to travel far as there are plenty of lakes and trails - Jordan Lake, Falls Lake.

Politically, it's right down the middle. There appears to be just as many left-leaning liberals as there are right-leaning conservatives. Chapel Hill and Carrboro are primarily liberal.

Raleigh is not for everybody however. It depends on your interests. It's a great place for singles, couples, and those with a family.

QUOTE (CeeJ @ Jun 6 2008, 04:52 PM)

yes.gif

are saying.

you there. biggrin.gif

Yeah, I guess. I constantly complain about living here, but as soon as I hear someone else complain about it I get very defensive.

I also forgot to mention the political corruption. yes.gif

It is my home, though.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 6 2008, 11:30 AM)

I live in Yellowknife NWT Canada

Ice Road Truckers 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif trink39.gif

Take Care and enjoy the new season!!!!

2.gif The Best Band in the World

QUOTE (CeeJ @ Jun 6 2008, 03:52 PM)

yes.gif

are saying.

you there. biggrin.gif

I wish I could see it in that light. I stay here for two reasons, almost all of my family is here, and my job is here. I hate riding the subway. Almost all of the things I like to do are either in the suburbs or upstate. Why do I stay where I'm at?

I have a great deal on rent, close to work. If I had the money or could afford to have my own house or live elsewhere, I would.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 6 2008, 03:52 PM)
Yeah, I like where I live. The Raleigh area is booming and there are plenty of places to vacation in North Carolina. Raleigh is situated right in the center. If you want coast, we have beaches. If you like mountains, we got that too. Also it has one of the best local economies in the nation.

The pace is slower and people are friendly. It retains its Southern charm and adapts to newer things. It's a leader in high tech fields.

It doesn't have the downtown that most other cities have but it's certainly in the planning stages. You don't have to travel far as there are plenty of lakes and trails - Jordan Lake, Falls Lake.

Politically, it's right down the middle. There appears to be just as many left-leaning liberals as there are right-leaning conservatives. Chapel Hill and Carrboro are primarily liberal.

Raleigh is not for everybody however. It depends on your interests. It's a great place for singles, couples, and those with a family.

My aunt and uncle absolutely love living in North Carolina.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 6 2008, 04:00 PM)

yes.gif

are saying.

you there. biggrin.gif

Yeah, I guess. I constantly complain about living here, but as soon as I hear someone else complain about it I get very defensive.

It is my home, though.

We love visiting NYC. I spent a few summers out there as a kid, and those are memories I'll always cherish. Recent visits tell me it is a lot better than it used to be, also. I still am always reflexively on guard while I'm there, though I know it's not the late 70s anymore. But yeah, with a lot of money, that place could be unreal. I can't imagine living there the same way I do while I'm there for a weekend.

QUOTE (hope70 @ Jun 6 2008, 05:29 PM)
QUOTE (CeeJ @ Jun 6 2008, 03:52 PM)

yes.gif

are saying.

you there. biggrin.gif

I wish I could see it in that light. I stay here for two reasons, almost all of my family is here, and my job is here. I hate riding the subway. Almost all of the things I like to do are either in the suburbs or upstate. Why do I stay where I'm at?

I have a great deal on rent, close to work. If I had the money or could afford to have my own house or live elsewhere, I would.

Yes. Family is a very big reason for me staying here.

Is it true that Cary stands for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees? (snicker). A friend of mine in Chapel Hill told me that once, but from what I understand, it's a great place to live. She said the crime rates are low. . .kids stealing a pack of gum is a 4-cruiser event there.

Meanwhile, I live in a nice little section of my city, but about 3 miles away, there are shootings, stabbings, frequent drug raids. I could leave that behind easily.

QUOTE (CeeJ @ Jun 6 2008, 11:45 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 6 2008, 10:01 AM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Jun 6 2008, 09:01 AM)
I love my house, and I love my backyard.  But I can't stand the high stress of living in the NY Tri-state area.  The older I get the deeper into the woods and away from people I want to be, without being too far from civilization and the essentials of comfortable living.  I'd give up living in Jersey in a flash if I could.  Family and the fact that financially it isn't that easy to just pick up and move are the main factors that keep me here.

There are many beautiful things about Jersey.  I guess I just need to focus more on those things.

Its so funny you said that, because I often feel the same way. As I get older, people and traffic annoy me more, and I want to go be in the woods... laugh.gif

WOW!!!

I thought that Necro was the only one.

His idea of the perfect place is a cabin in the woods,

where they have to "drop" food to you. wacko.gif

That would be great for me. I wouldnt mind being a hermit. I dont really like being around lots of people.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 6 2008, 02:00 PM)

yes.gif

are saying.

you there. biggrin.gif

It is my home, though.

Growing up in Connecticut, the thing I miss most from the east coast by FAR is New York City. I went there hundreds of times. I loved all the activity, the culture, the access to so many things, but I never ever wanted to live there - ultimately it was too dirty and noisy, which didn't bother me visiting there, but if I lived there I'm sure it would wear on me very quickly. I'm much more into being out in the country and rural now with land and trees and a bit of a slower pace...

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Jun 6 2008, 10:40 PM)

Is it true that Cary stands for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees? (snicker). A friend of mine in Chapel Hill told me that once, but from what I understand, it's a great place to live. She said the crime rates are low. . .kids stealing a pack of gum is a 4-cruiser event there.

Meanwhile, I live in a nice little section of my city, but about 3 miles away, there are shootings, stabbings, frequent drug raids. I could leave that behind easily.

yes, it's kind of a joke about Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. When Research Triangle Park was gaining all of these high tech corporations and research centers, Cary was the next town over and many folks bought houses here. There are many transplants from the northeast that live here, mostly New Yorkers but others as well.

It's a great town to live in due to it's low crime rate, although a bank robbery occurred earlier today down the street from my apartment. The town has ordinances all over the place and always has had them. Back in the 1970's Cary was small one-horse town, now it's like the 8th largest city in NC with miles of subdivisions, strip malls, public and private schools, and lots of recreational parks. We are not short on soccer moms with minivans.

Cary has some of the wealthiest citizens in the Raleigh metro area. The housing here is some of the most expensive.

Another town that is quickly rising is Apex, which is located next to Cary. Many folks from Cary have moved there because of the small town charm that it still has. Cary has lost quite a bit of that in the last ten years with all of the development. Apex is not far behind. Holly Springs is yet another great area that is seeing a lot of development.

I hate where I live right now, it's too cold and humid for me. I want to move back to Las Vegas where it's hot and dry. I love the dry heat and sunshine of the desert and had fewer seizures when I lived there. I HATE the cold, humidity, and that dirty four-letter word that starts with "s".

Lockport, IL.

I don't care for it all that much, here. I lived in a neighborhood very close to the city of Chicago (Garfield Ridge, about a mile from Midway airport) and to me that place was about as cool as it gets. You were basically considered a "city slicker" if you came from that area.

Suburban life is far too different for me and really not my thing. You get the same types of people, and while I've met a lot of cool people, in general I'm not a big fan of the attitudes around here. Just too strange for my tastes, and I've been here for awhile already.

Ahh well. Hoping to get accepted into a college in downtown Chicago a couple years from now, if all goes well, I may be headed back in that direction. We'll see.

We live in the Golden Triangle region of Mississippi - specifically in Starkville, home of Mississippi State University. We moved here about four years ago from Alabama.

This region is attracting significant employers and this community - with MSU here - has potential to draw high-tech firms here and has pulled in a few.

On the whole, this part of Mississippi stands in contrast to the state's stereotype of being backward and fine with staying that way (which I don't think is true anyway).

The blend here between tradition and forward thinking - which occurs in varying degrees depending on the issue - can be somewhat appealing.

We do have concerns about K-12 education and are considering our options about that, but race relations seem more improved than those I saw in my home town of Montgomery, Ala. - the so-called "Cradle of the Confederacy" and the "Birthplace of the Civil Rights Movement."

I personally would not characterize the people here as backward. Many are hard-working, honest people who have deeply-held beliefs and want a better life for their families, just like most of the rest of us.

As far as shopping goes, the "big box" folks are not here yet so for places like Target, we have to drive 1.5 hours, but some hope that will change in due time.

Late edit: It does get hot here and can be unbearable in the summer, and we do have our share of threatening weather in terms of tornadoes, but aside from those things the weather here is tolerable.

On the whole, we like it here and are glad we're raising our daughter here.

Archived