Neil sighting (Freddie Gruber's bday)

rushfr:CP

QUOTE (rushfr:CP @ May 15 2008, 01:11 PM)
if the guy posted that he meet neil and he was such a great guy, would you want me to post it??

I could careless if Neil punched the dude in his face and took his drink from him.

I thought it was interesting, if you dont move on.

I thought it was interesting. Thank goodness some schlep quoted you on it so I could at least read the story.

For what it's worth I'm sure Rush gets stalked on a relatively regular basis by dickweeds - but man being out in public at a bar or outside and having a smoke and someone recognizes you and says hello? I really wish Neil just would have gave that story teller the "Hey there" back and moved on.

Us Internet Rush nerds have probably heard enough stories of Neil's introversion but many many fans have *zero* idea and I could see how it would come as a real shock and disappointment to be snubbed that way by one of your heroes.

I am so happy when I met Geddy and Alex they bothered to be nice and talk to me for 30 seconds, let me thank them for all their music and grab a quick autograph - had they snubbed me entirely or blocked me with security it would have broke my heart - even if you couldn't blame them for doing so.

QUOTE (subdivider79 @ May 15 2008, 11:57 AM)
QUOTE (hope70 @ May 15 2008, 01:54 PM)
Neil owes nothing to anyone.  The man likes his privacy and I can't blame him.  Also, you're either a people's person or you're not.

He could stand up and bow to the crowd that adores him... 2.gif

Have actually seen him stand and wave after his solo before. Good enough for me.

The sad thing here to me is that everyone is taking the OP's (not rushfr:CP, the guy he quoted) post at face value. I find the rebuttals much more plausible. But everyone seems so ready to believe Neil is a dick, you can say anything about him and it will be accepted.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 15 2008, 02:32 PM)
The sad thing here to me is that everyone is taking the OP's (not rushfr:CP, the guy he quoted) post at face value. I find the rebuttals much more plausible. But everyone seems so ready to believe Neil is a dick, you can say anything about him and it will be accepted.

I'm not basing one single aspect of my analysis of Mr. Peart on the original post.

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 15 2008, 01:00 PM)
Can I direct you good people here for a version of that night's events from "the other side":

http://www.rushmessageboard.com/cpmb/index...ndpost&p=845751

Good point.

Never believe ANYTHING you read on the internet.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 15 2008, 03:48 PM)
Can I direct you good people here for a version of that night's events from "the other side":

Good point.

Yes and since I am reading your advice on the internet that means I shouldn't believe your post... or no wait if I don't believe your post then really I should believe posts on the Internet... but wait if I believe *your* post on the Inte..

*explodes*

QUOTE (LowLifeFlatHeadScum @ May 15 2008, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE (rushfr:CP @ May 15 2008, 08:59 AM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C46rPOK4F0o

and some not so flattering comments about him from a guy who was there.

Funny thing....

I had no idea that Neil was going to be there. So when I was standing outside, I saw him sitting at the table in the back next to Freddy. They weren't letting people in for the 2nd set yet. So me and my lady friend were standing outside when Neil comes out to get some fresh air. He's looking right at me while he walks out the short corrodor out the front door. I say, "hey Neil" 

And he doesn't even flinch, look at me, nor acknowledge me. 

So I say, "Hows it going Neil" as he walks by me without saying a word. Treats me as if I was paparazzi or something 

I was like 

Soooouuuuu.....I just put back on my cheerful and usual smile and decide to head over to the side of the building. Right where the gas station is where he's standing next to somebody talking and I decide to introduce myself formally. I figure...hey....he's just another fellow drummer. No big deal.

As I walk over towards him, some dude in a leather motorcycle riding jacket stands in front of me. Asks me if I know Neil. I was sitting there with this look on my face thinking, "who the F is this guy!!??". So I say no. Then he asks me if I'm with the press or something, again I said no. So I tell him, "Hey...I'm here for Freddys B-day. Freddy is like a grandfather to me". So the guy tells me, "well....Neils talking with one of his friends right now and I don't think he wants to be bothered".

So I look at him and say, "well....ya know. I really didn't want to talk to him anyway". 

What an ass.

Ya know...not to toot my horn, but I know some of the best drummers in the world. Some are close friends of mine. Most are usually approachable if not downright the nicest people you'll ever meet (Erskine, Bissonette, Weckl, Novak, Holmes, just to name a few). These guys would run cirles around Neil in the talent dept. But for me to get this kind of treatment at a low key (for Neils stature) gig in the middle of N. Hollywood on a wed night. Uggghhhh.....I wanted to go home and throw all my Rush albums in the trash last night. The guy who I idolized as a kid just served me one of the biggest disses that I've ever been served in years.

Ya...ya....I know what you're going to say. He's a rock star and thats what he's used to getting all the time. You know what? Screw him. I could care less if he was the king of china. He's just another guy. And for him to take that cavalier attitude and put one of his riding buddies in my path to intercept me at a low key gig was just stupid.

Ok....sorry for the rant. But I had to get that off my chest.

Other than that. I was great hanging with Nick Vincent (an amazing drummer/one of Freddys students), Erskoman and his lovely wife, Freddy, Joey, Roger Burns (another of Freddy Students) and Gary Novak. I'm sure I'm missing a lot of other people, but there were so many people there and the music was off the hook that night.

They even did a little trio accoustic guitar thing 1/2 of the 2nd set with some latin dancers in the background as well.

I guess this other drum website recorded the whole evening on proshot with multiple cameras. One of the cameramen told me it'll be available on the net soon. I forget the name of it. Maybe Erskoman knows. I'll call Freddy and ask him. He might know.

http://www.houseofdrumming.com/forums/view...der=asc&start=0

Sounds like you might be taking this a little too personally. Neil doesn't know you from Adam. it's well -known that he doesn't like interacting with fans much and very rarely gives interviews. Given what he's been through in the last ten years, I feel fortunate that he's continuing to make music at all.

I'm not slamming you, but just try to put yourself in his shoes. He's always been something of an introverted guy and fame clearly makes him a touch uneasy ("Limelight"). After the millionth time of someone you dont know trying to strike up a conversation with you, you might also find yourself looking for the fire exit. Wait till you get famous.....you'll find out. biggrin.gif

He meant "could NOT care less" - for that, i will ignore his rantings. Neil is who he is, and everyone knows it, get over it. Say hi, and if he decides not to respond, let it go. Sheesh.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ May 15 2008, 04:00 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 15 2008, 03:48 PM)

Good point.

Yes and since I am reading your advice on the internet that means I shouldn't believe your post... or no wait if I don't believe your post then really I should believe posts on the Internet... but wait if I believe *your* post on the Inte..

*explodes*

Everyone in the world is full of sh-t.

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ May 15 2008, 11:54 AM)
QUOTE (rushfr:CP @ May 15 2008, 11:43 AM)
Neil isnt the jerk here man. You were by going up to him when you knew he doesnt like strangers talking to him. If he ignored you you should have taken the hint.

Are you talking to me????

No Im talking to the hat in the corner, Who the f do you think I'm talking to?

Did the hat say anything back?

Here we go again! eyesre4.gif Neil is so misunderstood!

Neil is Neil. He is not Alex and Geddy. Neil has been through a lot in the last 11 years. It is a miracle the man did not simply lose it after all he went through, yet he is stronger than that.

Yet, he chooses to pour his heart out in his books and lets us really know him more than the so often "hi can I have a picture and an autograph" so called "conversation" that so many musicians have with their "fans". And he also chooses to still be in Rush, still make albums, still tour and still put up with all the idiots that can't resist following his bus, trying to sneak on his bus, trying to sneak into his dressing room, taking pictures of his bus and motorcycle, going to BMW shops in the town the band will be in thinking that Neil might just pop in for an oil change, and being a general nuisance.

From everything I have heard from those who have met Neil on a level playing field (i.e. he wants to meet them or knows someone they know and are properly introduced), you could not ask for a nicer and more humble person.

Leave that Neil alone!

Edited by Earthshine

the guy that wrote that might be full of shit anyway... it's only his side of the story so you never know...

Alex and Geddy do all the meet and greets. Thats been known for a while.

This guys story irks me, but what do you expect from Neil. He simply does not like to be bothered.

But you know what? Come on, Neil. At least smile at a fan. Fan recognition is part of your job, and your fans know you're shy...this guy may have gone a bit overboard, but still.

Don't be an ass, Neil. Just smile.

Personally, I have no interest in meeting Neil Peart. I've met and chatted with Alex...that's good enough for me.

Don't worry, I still worship the band. But I just think that there needs to be a line in the sand. Just be polite

Geez, Whatever happened it's much ado about nothing! eyesre4.gif

Slow Rush news day, Neil glanced at someone he doesn't know without acknowledging his greeting. And doesn't want to be nagged by the same person while he's talking with people he does know.

It seems he did smile and moved away from the guy that should of been good enough. btw I do believe Neil is a bit aloof and not fan friendly with direct contact can very well be interpreted as being a snob. BUT I respect his desire for distance and the need not to be bothered.

It would suck being under a microscope like Neil is and can't function like a normal human being with out oddballs getting there feelings hurt and slandering him over the internet because he dosen't treat a stranger like a ... ( hate to repeat it but sure does fit ) long awaited friend.

make sure you read Praetorians posts on CP as well.....

They "biker dude" that told the man to go away was not Michael, as some assume, but the maitre'd of the restaurant.

Im sure he would have handled the situation a lot better.

If one wanted to get a response from Neil then the last thing they should say is "Hi Neil". Immediately he knows that as this person is someone he had never seen before then they must have recognised him from Rush and he goes on the defensive, as it could be an annoying fan with requests for pictures, inane conversation etc.

However if they just treated him as a human being and said something like "Great show huh?" or "Can I get a light?" then there is much more chance of an interaction. Still may not work but at least it is not intimidating.

All those who give Neil a hard time over this just stop and think for a few seconds: Imagine if you are out in public on a regular basis and strangers approach you calling your first name and wanting some sort of immediate contact. It would drive you crazy after the first few times. Even if you are the sort of outgoing person who loves attention and meeting people it would only take one bad experience to put you on guard for life, and Neil has had more than enough of those.

It is Geddy and more so Alex who are extraordinary here, i.e. extraordinarily tolerant and accomodating. Neil, in my view, is just normal.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ May 15 2008, 01:36 PM)
QUOTE (subdivider79 @ May 15 2008, 10:31 AM)
Don't forget the unrelenting sarcasm he uses sometimes to answer fan questions. That's completely uncalled for.

Anyone got any examples? Because that sounds hilarious. Then again, I'm an introvert with a warped sense of humor.

Aren't we all?

I think that's a prerequisite for posting so often on a Rush message board. tongue.gif

EDIT: Holy crap, I spelled "prerequisite" correct on the first try lol..

Edited by Del_Duio

I find it uncomfortable when someone I don't know from Adam's housecat feels it's OK to address me by my first name. Imagine having thousands of people assume that intimacy with you.

And apparently it's been Neil's experience that a smile or "hello" of acknowledgement very often gets interpreted as an invitation for further involvement; people can't be happy with the fact that he just gave them a smile and a "hello." They run right over to him as if he were their long-lost best buddy from college. Who wouldn't find this a little disconcerting, to say the least? More so if you happen to be somewhat introverted and feel awkward in social settings with large groups of strangers. Add the fact that he's had trouble with stalkers before, and it's understandable why he chooses to isolate himself somewhat.

QUOTE (subdivider79 @ May 15 2008, 01:57 PM)
QUOTE (hope70 @ May 15 2008, 01:54 PM)
Neil owes nothing to anyone.  The man likes his privacy and I can't blame him.  Also, you're either a people's person or you're not.

He could stand up and bow to the crowd that adores him... 2.gif

He does that after every show. Well, we get a hand raise but that's good enough for me!

First we don't know all the facts, but aside from that, let's stop kissing Neil's ass. I understand the guy has been threw a world of shit, but he is not the only one in this world who has suffered a loss. It doesn't give him any right to snub someone. A simple "hello" is not asking too much.

Secondly, when you are famous, that is the price you pay. When you have made millions off of your fans because of a unique talent you have, the least one can do is acknolwledge those fans.

QUOTE (subdivider79 @ May 15 2008, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 15 2008, 01:18 PM)
QUOTE (subdivider79 @ May 15 2008, 02:07 PM)
I've always thought Neil owes a little more to his fans. Geddy and Alex at least make an attempt to be cordial, while Mr. Peart has a tendency to blow people off like they don't exist. Not cool.

I like Neil as a musician, and all he's accomplished with Rush...but he needs to remember sometimes who exactly has been paying his bills for the last 35 years. During the concert in New Orleans, he didn't acknowledge the crowd one single time..not even after a long standing O for the drum solo. He just walked off stage, while Alex played "Hope"...then came back on to continue the set. A little wave and a smile wouldn't hurt...and God help us all if he actually said "thank you" into a microphone.

Neil is the most talented musician in the group, and no doubt most responsible for the success of Rush...but I find him to be very stuck up and aloof. He's just plain unlikeable. I respect Ged and Alex as human beings a lot more than I do Neil. 2.gif

I disagree. Neil owes you his drumming and his lyrics and his books, that's it. Off the stage, out of the studio and away from his writing desk, Neil just wants to be left alone. Outside of those situations, he doesn't want to be famous. His guarded personality doesn't allow him to be comfortable with strangers who only want to talk to him because he's famous. That's all there is to it.

Just because Alex and Geddy are more willing to meet with fans doesn't mean Neil HAS to.

Sure, I understand that...and I totally respect that. I myself am intensely private, I get pissed off when my own neighbors ask me how things are going. But would it kill Mr. Peart to at least say "thank you" to those who have brought him wealth, prosperity, and power? If it weren't for us, he may still be grubbing shillings in London...

That being said, I couldn't care less how Neil treats people. I wouldn't approach him, or any other celebrity..simply because I don't have a case of "hero worship". If the opportunity presented itself, then sure..I'd like to meet some people that have brought me pleasure through music, movies, and sports...but I definitely don't get all uppity about celebrities. I just think Mr. Peart could be a little more respectful. Don't forget the unrelenting sarcasm he uses sometimes to answer fan questions. That's completely uncalled for.

You get pissed off when your neighbors ask you how you are doing? Your neighbors? That's not right, or cool.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ May 15 2008, 01:20 PM)
I think we've missed the larger issue here, guys, which is that our argument is based on YouTube comments.  That's like trying to have a Socratic debate after looking at the wall of a gas station rest room.

rofl3.gif goodpost.gif

Great point, edgy!

That being said, I think what happened is that this guy, who was at rather small party, naturally assumed that saying "Hello" to someone like Neil in a gathering like that would be OK. The guy obviously was not as familiar as most of us here are with Neil's aversion to general public contact based solely on his fame - especially when the other person initiates the contact. It sounds like Michael takes his role as Neil's Praetorian very seriously and probably is acting on Neil's standing wishes to be left alone by anyone he doesn't already know or who attempts to initiate the contact with him on his or her own.

If Neil decides to initiate contact, it's probably another story altogether. Listening to him on things like the S&A MVI, I think he would be the kind of guy I'd love to shoot the breeze and just hang out with. Sadly, that probably won't happen unless the opportunity arises (fat chance) and he starts the conversation (even fatter chance).

If I didn't know his background, I probably would be offended too.

Edited by skyswing

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 16 2008, 08:05 AM)
First we don't know all the facts, but aside from that, let's stop kissing Neil's ass. I understand the guy has been threw a world of shit, but he is not the only one in this world who has suffered a loss. It doesn't give him any right to snub someone. A simple "hello" is not asking too much.

Secondly, when you are famous, that is the price you pay. When you have made millions off of your fans because of a unique talent you have, the least one can do is acknolwledge those fans.

Neil has, how shall I phrase it, well, been "offhand" to his fans since well before all the problems with his personal life. He alludes to this in Limelight with "I can't believe a stranger is a long awaited friend". I can understand his reluctance to interract with people, who only want to interract with him because of his fame, but these approaches are a natural corollary of his fame, but surely just a quick nod and an "I'm doing fine man, but I'm in a hurry" would reflect better on him and hopefully give the fan a little warm glow inside.

QUOTE (skyswing @ May 16 2008, 08:42 AM)
It sounds like Michael takes his role as Neil's Praetorian very seriously and probably is acting on Neil's standing wishes to be left alone by anyone he doesn't already know or who attempts to initiate the contact with him on his or her own.

That's what Michael is paid to do. According to the CP thread, Neil's been threatened with bodily harm by a "fan" before, and we know there have been plenty of incidents where the bus gets followed, or someone manages to sneak onto the bus and wait for him. Heck, if I logged onto the internet and saw photos of me and my bike that someone had taken from a hiding place in the bushes fifteen feet away from me, and I'd had no idea that anyone was there at that time, well. . .that's pretty creepy.

A big part of Michael's job is to be on the alert for and assess any potentially threatening situation. It isn't all about isolating Neil from his fans just because Neil doesn't feel like chatting.