Moving Pictures

Borough of Shmeng

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno. I find I can't listen to more than 3 AC/DC songs per sitting and besides Highway To Hell > Back In Black.

This is exactly my point. Very few people recognize that there is a huge difference between quality and appeal. There are a lot of absolutely great movies that bore me and yet I can watch something like Smokey and the Bandit and have a great time even though in every measureable way it's absolute crap. There is a lot of jazz music that's amazing and yet I don't enjoy most of it. Obviously none of this is a science and it's all somewhat subjective but there are reasonable standards. That's why I said earlier on this thread that while Moving Pictures is probably the best Rush album it's not my favorite.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Feb 7 2008, 02:48 PM)
Smokey and the Bandit

trink39.gif

Moving Pictures was my favourite album when I fisrt heard it as a teenager on the day it came out and it is still my favourite after all these years.

It is a true classic rock album.

It's pretty damn good.

It's got the 'radio-friendly' side (for Rush, at least) and then the denser, arguably more interesting side. It's not quite as monumental as, say, Close to the Edge or what have you, but it's still one of Rush's best all-around albums.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 7 2008, 02:25 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Feb 6 2008, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 6 2008, 03:24 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 6 2008, 01:23 PM)
Side Two is great.  But like most other album sides, it's just not as great as Side One.

"The Camera Eye" is the weak link, though.  It's too repetative for its length, IMO.

Agreed completely.

You 2 must be smoking the same shite!!!

(PS: you both need to get a better dealer wink.gif )

I was listening to The Camera Eye this morning and I figured out what it is, as blasphemous as this will be to some.

It's the lyrics. I never really got into the whole "the focus is sharp in the city" thing. I always found the lyrics to be a bit plodding and uninspiring. I was listening to it thinking, you know, shave off about 3-4 minutes off this song, make it an instrumental and it would have been something really special.

Mind you, I still like this song a good bit. It's almost unfair though. It follows side one of Moving Pictures, the best album side by anyone ever. That's a HUGE act to follow, and so it pales noticeably in comparsion. Stick this song on the end of Presto and you easily have the best song on that album and the absolute highlight, but in the context it IS in it shows up to me at least as the weakest link in the chain and a song unable to match up the perfect 4 songs before it and nearly perfect 2 songs after it...

ph34r.gif

See, I really REALLY like Camera Eye.

I heard Camera Eye for the first time about 2 weeks after seeing my first 'city symphony' film, Vertov's "Man with a Movie Camera," and I saw a rather strong connection between the Soviet montage style of film editing and both the music and the lyrics of Camera Eye.

Whether it's intentional or not, I've always seen Camera Eye as a musical city symphony that draws from the same philosophies as Soviet montage film.

So while I certainly see your criticisms as valid, I would argue that the things you dislike are part of what makes the song so powerful.

QUOTE (thedoorsdk @ Feb 7 2008, 08:46 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 7 2008, 02:25 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Feb 6 2008, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 6 2008, 03:24 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 6 2008, 01:23 PM)
Side Two is great.  But like most other album sides, it's just not as great as Side One.

"The Camera Eye" is the weak link, though.  It's too repetative for its length, IMO.

Agreed completely.

You 2 must be smoking the same shite!!!

(PS: you both need to get a better dealer wink.gif )

I was listening to The Camera Eye this morning and I figured out what it is, as blasphemous as this will be to some.

It's the lyrics. I never really got into the whole "the focus is sharp in the city" thing. I always found the lyrics to be a bit plodding and uninspiring. I was listening to it thinking, you know, shave off about 3-4 minutes off this song, make it an instrumental and it would have been something really special.

Mind you, I still like this song a good bit. It's almost unfair though. It follows side one of Moving Pictures, the best album side by anyone ever. That's a HUGE act to follow, and so it pales noticeably in comparsion. Stick this song on the end of Presto and you easily have the best song on that album and the absolute highlight, but in the context it IS in it shows up to me at least as the weakest link in the chain and a song unable to match up the perfect 4 songs before it and nearly perfect 2 songs after it...

ph34r.gif

See, I really REALLY like Camera Eye.

I heard Camera Eye for the first time about 2 weeks after seeing my first 'city symphony' film, Vertov's "Man with a Movie Camera," and I saw a rather strong connection between the Soviet montage style of film editing and both the music and the lyrics of Camera Eye.

Whether it's intentional or not, I've always seen Camera Eye as a musical city symphony that draws from the same philosophies as Soviet montage film.

So while I certainly see your criticisms as valid, I would argue that the things you dislike are part of what makes the song so powerful.

Cool never seen the film but now I'd like to... The Camera Eye being my favourite song ever (As if anyone didn't already realise that from my fanboygasms all over this thread and any other where it comes up) I'm always wanting to enhance the experience even more. Here's a really cool video some guy made on YouTube... makes the song even more amazing to me when you put the images with it. If I ever get a video iPod it'll be going straight on there. It's nothing special as a video alone but it really works well with the song.

The Camera Eye Video

I've actually walked through the streets of London while listening to this on my iPod and just looking up at the buildings. The friend who I was with on that day thought I was crazy but he is a Rush fan and kinda understood why I felt I had to do it. One day I hope to do exactly the same thing in New York.

(Stop me when you feel it's just getting silly... laugh.gif )

The main criticism seems to be repetition with this song. I always saw that as the point of the song. One guy, one camera two cities. He views the two cities through the same lens. "The buildings are lost in the limitless rise..." f**k no joke my eyes are watering. Okay I'm done! unsure.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 7 2008, 07:25 PM)

Excuse me, but I remember you saying you like the lyrics to Nobodys Hero which I am afraid completely invalidates your opinion on this .(Come to think of it, it invalidates your opinion on ANYTHING, but that's a story for another day wink.gif )

Seriously though, the lyrics to TCE are truly superb and up there with his very best. It is an epic par excellence, and to suggest otherwise is blasphemy yes.gif

Consider yourself severely spanked young man (OOH Matron) bd.gif

You cannot deny the importance of Moving Pictures. Tom Sawyer is probably the biggest gateway song into the Rush catalogue, everyone knows it. If there was a casual fan who had a Rush album, it was MP. When I first met my wife, she had it on vinyl. If you were a memebr of one of those silly record clubs in the early 80's, chances are you got MP as a selection of the month (which is how I came to own it.)

Additionally, one only needs to look at the setlist every tour to see how the band still feels about it. We should know by now Rush plays what they want because they like it. They play the songs they still believe in and enjoy playing. On the S&A tour there were 4 songs from MP that were played, same as PeW. Those were huge albums for Rush, and they obviously still really believe in the music.

I think for me, MP is a little played out. I listened to it so much, I kind of want to hear other things. But whenever I put it in, it still sounds great!

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 7 2008, 10:02 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 7 2008, 09:57 PM)
Seriously though, the lyrics to TCE are truly superb and up there with his very best. It is an epic par excellence, and to suggest otherwise is blasphemy yes.gif

So sometimes you do say something cool. laugh.gif wink.gif bolt.gif

I just tell it like it is mate wink.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 7 2008, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 7 2008, 07:25 PM)

It's the lyrics.  I never really got into the whole "the focus is sharp in the city" thing.  I always found the lyrics to be a bit plodding and uninspiring.  I was listening to it thinking, you know, shave off about 3-4 minutes off this song, make it an instrumental and it would have been something really special. 

Excuse me, but I remember you saying you like the lyrics to Nobodys Hero which I am afraid completely invalidates your opinion on this .(Come to think of it, it invalidates your opinion on ANYTHING, but that's a story for another day wink.gif )

Consider yourself severely spanked young man (OOH Matron) bd.gif

ohmy.gif

Fridge,

With a name so cold - your words, they burn!

tongue.gif

LIve I said, I don't hate or even dislike the song, it just never really grabbed me as one of their best.

I know we disagree on Nobody's Hero, but I really love the message of the song as one of tolerance and acceptance. What can I say?

Hey man, it's all good, we're free to differ, and that goes for my bud TheRocinanteKid too. yes.gif trink39.gif trink38.gif

P.S. - Fridge, I lost my Vonage line so I'm afraid no more outgoing international calls, mate. sad.gif

There is one thing that has always truly astounding me about Moving Pictures that I've sadly found absent on several other Rush albums.

One thing I've always been able to do with MP, especially side one, is to follow each instrument separately. For years I've done this. I'll listen to side one of MP and JUST listen to the drums, or JUST to the bass or JUST to the guitar.

First off, the talent and intricacy displayed on each instrument is truly phenomenal, I mean just beyond compare. This can not be overstated. no.gif

Secondly, the production is SO well done and so cyrstal clear that you can easily focus on an individual instrument or take the music in as a whole. yes.gif

I think they really lost something in that regard after MP (even though I truly love 80's Rush), but maybe it was also just the quality of the music on that album as well. That's what makes something like VT so unbearable for me to listen to, songs aside. MP has crystal clear production with amazing instrumental separation and clarity, and VT is like wading through sludge with all the instruments smashed together into a muddy, soupy mess.

Thankfully S&A is a return to absolutely stellar production values.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 8 2008, 07:08 AM)
There is one thing that has always truly astounding me about Moving Pictures that I've sadly found absent on several other Rush albums.

One thing I've always been able to do with MP, especially side one, is to follow each instrument separately.  For years I've done this.  I'll listen to side one of MP and JUST listen to the drums, or JUST to the bass or JUST to the guitar. 

First off, the talent and intricacy displayed on each instrument is truly phenomenal, I mean just beyond compare.  This can not be overstated. no.gif

Secondly, the production is SO well done and so cyrstal clear that you can easily focus on an individual instrument or take the music in as a whole. yes.gif

I think they really lost something in that regard after MP (even though I truly love 80's Rush), but maybe it was also just the quality of the music on that album as well.  That's what makes something like VT so unbearable for me to listen to, songs aside.  MP has crystal clear production with amazing instrumental separation and clarity, and VT is like wading through sludge with all the instruments smashed together into a muddy, soupy mess.

Agreed. A little of that might be explained by the fact that after MP they tried to put more into the mix on a lot of the albums - more keyboards, effects and vocal samples. Getting the separation might not have been so easy.

Neil has said wearing the mic on his chest contributed to a great drum sound on MP.

Might also be the environment. MP was a Le Studio album right? As was PW? Both of those have great sound.

I think Terry Brown/Le Studio was the ultimate combo and only Nick R./Allaire has matched it since.

Let's be fair, the Peter Collins produced albums all sound fantastic.

Back to the topic at hand, I agree with everything Rushgoober wrote about Moving Pictures. It was the perfect storm in Rush's recording career. EVERYTHING worked. EVERYTHING came together perfectly.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 8 2008, 08:36 AM)
Everything is so perfect on the album; Instruments, lyrics, sound, production etc.

However, it's a little too polished for me.

Listen to it on crappy computer speakers with low bit rate mp3's and maybe it'll sound perfect. tongue.gif

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Feb 8 2008, 07:20 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 8 2008, 07:08 AM)

One thing I've always been able to do with MP, especially side one, is to follow each instrument separately.  For years I've done this.  I'll listen to side one of MP and JUST listen to the drums, or JUST to the bass or JUST to the guitar. 

First off, the talent and intricacy displayed on each instrument is truly phenomenal, I mean just beyond compare.  This can not be overstated. no.gif

I think they really lost something in that regard after MP (even though I truly love 80's Rush), but maybe it was also just the quality of the music on that album as well.  That's what makes something like VT so unbearable for me to listen to, songs aside.  MP has crystal clear production with amazing instrumental separation and clarity, and VT is like wading through sludge with all the instruments smashed together into a muddy, soupy mess.

Agreed. A little of that might be explained by the fact that after MP they tried to put more into the mix on a lot of the albums - more keyboards, effects and vocal samples. Getting the separation might not have been so easy.

Fair point. It was stated with Signals that Terry Brown didn't really know how to mix keyboards, and while it is my favorite Rush album as a whole, the production isn't nearly as perfect sounding as MP. The remastered version goes a good ways towards improving things, though.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 8 2008, 10:36 AM)
Everything is so perfect on the album; Instruments, lyrics, sound, production etc.

However, it's a little too polished for me.

Ehh, I don't mind polished. It comes down to the tunes, ultimately. S&A is pretty damn polished too.

Neil has said wearing the mic on his chest contributed to a great drum sound on MP.

I think this is mostly a myth, they discuss this in detail on Neil's recent dvd. I'll go watch it again to be sure but from what I remember they did try that mic but didn't make much use of it on the final recording. I'll post in a bit after I check it out so I'm not spreading wrong info.

Archived