Moving Pictures

Borough of Shmeng

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Feb 8 2008, 11:06 AM)
The way that Tom Sawyer starts has to be the coolest opening to any album ever. One of my strictly hip hop loving friends heard it at my house and said "this shit BUMPS!"

I think I'll put it on now.  1022.gif

LMAO..! Now I have to permanently discard that song.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 8 2008, 11:22 AM)
The way that Tom Sawyer starts has to be the coolest opening to any album ever. One of my strictly hip hop loving friends heard it at my house and said "this shit BUMPS!"

LOL. You guys kill me sometimes. I don't think it's that weird for a rap guy to dig it though, those drums hit hard. Don't worry though, you can still enjoy the song as it was only the drums he liked. He always complains about my "cracker music", but it's okay cuz it throws him off when we play pool. Thanks, Rush.

My first album was 2112, and I thought....wow are they talented. But years later when Moving Pictures came out, OMG. Of course it's there finest album. Who wouldn't seeing them play the whole album. The first 4 songs are RUSH staples. Even Neil in "Contents Under Pressure" admits it's there best. 2.gif

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Feb 8 2008, 09:44 AM)

LOL. You guys kill me sometimes. I don't think it's that weird for a rap guy to dig it though, those drums hit hard. Don't worry though, you can still enjoy the song as it was only the drums he liked. He always complains about my "cracker music", but it's okay cuz it throws him off when we play pool. Thanks, Rush.

The opening Moog blast that starts Tom Sawyer is one of the coolest things ever and has grabbed many a soul with it's power and awesomeness yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 8 2008, 02:13 PM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Feb 8 2008, 09:44 AM)

The opening Moog blast that starts Tom Sawyer is one of the coolest things ever and has grabbed many a soul with it's power and awesomeness yes.gif

I thought the keyboard sound at the beginning was produced by an Oberheim, and the effect was called an Oberheim Sweep? The part in the middle is definitely Mini Moog, though.

I think the fatc that the opening, and the rest of the song itself, appeals to so many people from differing music background just reflcets how great the song is as a whole. It transcends genres.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 6 2008, 08:40 AM)
IMO Moving Pictures may be the finest rock album ever produced...end of discussion.

definetely the bass is produced very well... very well indeed... Vital signs durring the 1st 2 chorus' you can really hear the BIG BASS CRUNCH! go listen to it right now, then you will be able to pick it out durring the whole album! GeddyFinal.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 7 2008, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 7 2008, 06:27 PM)
QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Feb 7 2008, 03:55 AM)
Well, according to Redbeard of In the Studio, it is one of history's greatest rock albums.

Moving Pictures is up there with Dark Side of the Moon, Who's Next, Are You Experienced?, Back in Black, A Night at the Opera, Hotel California, Leftoverture, Led Zeppelin's Fourth, Abacab.

you know what's wrong with that list

ac/dc

Agreed and Abacab is hardly Genesis' greatest work.

Abacab was my first Genesis album and acquired after listening to it on In the Studio in 1997. Abacab was Genesis' first US million seller in November of 1981, like Moving Pictures was for Rush a few months earlier.

I first heard MP as a 5 year old as my oldest sister had the original album and would play it to death and I used to steal it from her. I didn't acquire on cassette until 1988.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 8 2008, 03:49 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 8 2008, 08:36 AM)
Everything is so perfect on the album; Instruments, lyrics, sound, production etc.

However, it's a little too polished for me.

Listen to it on crappy computer speakers with low bit rate mp3's and maybe it'll sound perfect. tongue.gif

You know what, I may just do that wink.gif

When I say polished, I don't mean just the sound. Barring the burp in TCE, everything on that album is so perfect. I'd still take PeW over it anyday, though. No idea why.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Feb 10 2008, 04:53 AM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 7 2008, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 7 2008, 06:27 PM)
QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Feb 7 2008, 03:55 AM)
Well, according to Redbeard of In the Studio, it is one of history's greatest rock albums.

Moving Pictures is up there with Dark Side of the Moon, Who's Next, Are You Experienced?, Back in Black, A Night at the Opera, Hotel California, Leftoverture, Led Zeppelin's Fourth, Abacab.

you know what's wrong with that list

ac/dc

Agreed and Abacab is hardly Genesis' greatest work.

Abacab was my first Genesis album and acquired after listening to it on In the Studio in 1997. Abacab was Genesis' first US million seller in November of 1981, like Moving Pictures was for Rush a few months earlier.

I first heard MP as a 5 year old as my oldest sister had the original album and would play it to death and I used to steal it from her. I didn't acquire on cassette until 1988.

AC/DC deserve to be on any greatest rock album list. Whether it's Back In Black or Powerage I can't decide though.

QUOTE (gotbass1228 @ Feb 9 2008, 09:14 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 6 2008, 08:40 AM)
IMO Moving Pictures may be the finest rock album ever produced...end of discussion.

definetely the bass is produced very well... very well indeed... Vital signs durring the 1st 2 chorus' you can really hear the BIG BASS CRUNCH! go listen to it right now, then you will be able to pick it out durring the whole album! GeddyFinal.gif

Oh yeah, I love the Jazz Bass sound on some of the Moving Pictures songs, Tom Sawyer especially.

I think that might be my favorite bass sound of all time, right there.

If only i could figure out how to get it... banghead.gif biggrin.gif

Archived