Favorite drinks

VaporTrails04

im kinda new to the bar scene and i was just wondering what kind of drinks people and how to make them because im getting tired of Jager bombs and Vodka red bulls.

trink39.gif

nothin beat's an ice cold beer trink38.gif

I'm boring; gin and tonic for me. Or gimlets, which is gin and lime juice.

Long Island iced teas if you want to get bombed real fast wacko.gif

Idk, what kind of liquor is your forte? I like gin (obv.) and tequilla, but usually for shots.

QUOTE (VaporTrails04 @ Feb 5 2008, 08:32 PM)
im kinda new to the bar scene and i was just wondering what kind of drinks people and how to make them because im getting tired of Jager bombs and Vodka red bulls.

trink39.gif

Depends on my mood, really, and where friends choose to go. I'm good with anything from beer at a pub to a martini from a martini bar. I guess I prefer simple drinks though like a screwdriver (oj and vodka), etc. Or wine. But that's more reserved for a dinner. Anyway.... If you want to make drinks at home then I'd invest in a good bar book otherwise, just ask what your friends recommend when you go out or get what they're getting.

Jager! I can't stand the stuff! Tastes like licorice flavored cough syrup. Ick. A friend of mine loves the stuff though.

Drinking with the boys - IPA

Pre-dinner drinks with the wife - Gin & Tonic

Relaxing at home - good red wine

Chilling in the garden - ice cold European lager

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 8 2008, 06:03 PM)
Guinness Extra Cold

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Feb 7 2008, 02:50 PM)
QUOTE (VaporTrails04 @ Feb 5 2008, 08:32 PM)

trink39.gif

Depends on my mood, really, and where friends choose to go. I'm good with anything from beer at a pub to a martini from a martini bar. I guess I prefer simple drinks though like a screwdriver (oj and vodka), etc. Or wine. But that's more reserved for a dinner. Anyway.... If you want to make drinks at home then I'd invest in a good bar book otherwise, just ask what your friends recommend when you go out or get what they're getting.

Jager! I can't stand the stuff! Tastes like licorice flavored cough syrup. Ick. A friend of mine loves the stuff though.

yeah i find that people have a very love/hate relationship with jager. i love it, you hate it. vodkas may second choice.

thanks for the advice, i was just at the bookstore looking at some drink books the other day.

when drinking cocktails I tend to lean heavy on vodka, hence my favorite mixed drinks are vodka gimlets (vodka and lime juice ina 1-3 ratio, shaken with ice and strained), harvey wallbangers (basically a screw driver with a floating of Galliano on top) and vodka martinis (1-1 ratio and dry vermouth). I also love vodka shots with just a touch of black pepper. Best way to find the drinks you like best is to experiment, if you like a certain kind of liquor, try things made with that as the base spirit, that also have flavors or mixes you like. If you know you hate granadine, avoid the tequilla sunrise, if you like mint and bourbon, try a mint julip (if only I could find mint sprigs in my local grocery stores), and so on. Try a variety of things and see what you really like, best way to go. Of course if you want the easy way, just order a good congac or single malt Scotch. No mixing at home, no worrying of the bartdner knows what they are doing. Just have to worry about whether they have your particular favorite.

While on my mini-vacation I indulged in a few apres-ski coctails and discovered an intensely delicious new drink....possible my new favorite:

Absolut Mandarin (vodka)

soda water

squirt or lemon juice.

trink38.gif

Anything with vodka in it! wink.gif

Tito's Handmade Vodka, Grey Goose, or Absolut is what I prefer / get, based on availability...

Mix that with your favorite juice of choice... trink38.gif

Or, grab a lemon wedge, pour up a big shot, and let 'er rip! (Lemon Drops)

Back in my younger days... at my favorite bar on the Gulf Coast... they had this "house" specialty drink called the "Super Spook" - talk about getting messed up!

It had a little of everything in it - including Everclear! ohmy.gif

Extra dry Stoli martini straight up with an olive (for the vitamins). Stirred, not shaken. Enjoy in moderation.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 7 2008, 08:05 AM)
Extra dry Stoli martini straight up with an olive (for the vitamins). Stirred, not shaken. Enjoy in moderation.

Excellent drink of choice Jack. I love martinis. Martinis and gin and tonics tie for second place. But my favorite drink (at the moment) is a Lemon Drop made with vanilla vodka, served in a martini glass with sugar around the rim. I have a favorite bar here that serves the best ones. They're sooooooo good.

QUOTE (Janie @ Apr 7 2008, 04:52 PM)
...my favorite drink (at the moment) is a Lemon Drop made with vanilla vodka, served in a martini glass with sugar around the rim. I have a favorite bar here that serves the best ones. They're sooooooo good.

My kinda woman! wink.gif trink39.gif I love them lemon drops!

I take my lemon drops straight up in a shot glass, with a little sugar around the rim, and a lemon wedge to bit afterwards...

Have you tried Tito's Handmade Vodka??? This stuff is so smooth, and drinks like water straight! http://www.titos-vodka.com - It is distilled 6 times, and has won the Double Gold award at the World Spirits Competion (voted unanimously #1 over 70 other international vodkas)!

If you can get a hold of it in your area, give it a try! Careful, though, it will catch up with you before you know it... I can't even tell you how many I had this last Friday (lost count!)...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (rushbass @ Apr 7 2008, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Apr 7 2008, 04:52 PM)
...my favorite drink (at the moment) is a Lemon Drop made with vanilla vodka, served in a martini glass with sugar around the rim. I have a favorite bar here that serves the best ones. They're sooooooo good.

My kinda woman! wink.gif trink39.gif I love them lemon drops!

I take my lemon drops straight up in a shot glass, with a little sugar around the rim, and a lemon wedge to bit afterwards...

Have you tried Tito's Handmade Vodka??? This stuff is so smooth, and drinks like water straight! http://www.titos-vodka.com - It is distilled 6 times, and has won the Double Gold award at the World Spirits Competion (voted unanimously #1 over 70 other international vodkas)!

If you can get a hold of it in your area, give it a try! Careful, though, it will catch up with you before you know it... I can't even tell you how many I had this last Friday (lost count!)...

trink38.gif

Thanks! I'm in need of good vodka. I need to be able to make these drinks for my friends on those occasions when we have a night in. I like your idea of the lemon drop shot. It would be too easy though to lose track. I kind of like sipping my drink. And I love that they serve it in a martini glass. I feel so sophisticated or something. smile.gif

One that I enjoy is the Mongolian Motherf****r. There are different recipes on the web but here is one that gives you an idea of what it entails:

1/4 Oz. Vodka

1/4 Oz. Gin

1/4 Oz. Rum

1/4 Oz. Tequila

1/4 Oz. Triple Sec

1/4 Oz. Southern Comfort

1/4 Oz. Amaretto

1/4 Oz. Wildberry Schnapps

Sour Mix

Fruit Juice

It's also a good icebreaker. Anytime you order this drink a conversation is inevitably started because of the provocative name.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Apr 7 2008, 10:42 PM)
One that I enjoy is the Mongolian Motherf****r. There are different recipes on the web but here is one that gives you an idea of what it entails:
1/4 Oz. Vodka
1/4 Oz. Gin
1/4 Oz. Rum
1/4 Oz. Tequila
1/4 Oz. Triple Sec
1/4 Oz. Southern Comfort
1/4 Oz. Amaretto
1/4 Oz. Wildberry Schnapps
Sour Mix
Fruit Juice

It's also a good icebreaker. Anytime you order this drink a conversation is inevitably started because of the provocative name.

That's not a drink, it's a dare! laugh.gif