M. Night Shyamalan

Jack Aubrey

M. Night Shyamalan...  

39 members have voted

1. 1. M. Night Shyamalan...

• Is a 21st century Hitchcock and a brilliant director.
    • Is a 21st century hack who couldn't direct his way out of a wet paper bag.
    • Directed one good movie
    • Directed two good movies
    • Directed three good movies
    • Directed four good movies
    • Directed five good movies
    • Directed five good movies and 'The Happening' is gonna be home run number six, dammit!

This guy's easily the most polarizing figure in the movie industry today and we've had so many threads about him I thought we'd try to settle the issue. It may be a futile effort on my part, but hey, I'm bored so why not! laugh.gif

I went with the last selection. I love the guy. He'll need about 10 more before we can start adding him in the same category as Hitchcock - who wrote the book on how movie making.

Sorry folks, I misspelled Shyamalan's name in the title (there's no K in Night), unfortunately when you edit a poll you can't edit the title. Please forgive me and thanks to a good buddy for pointing it out to me!

Wow, I wonder who picked the 'Hack' option?! C'mon, tell us, we won't yell at you! All are welcome to pick any side of the debate their heart desires. yes.gif

In the interest of full disclosure, I picked option 5. I still only like his first three. Edited by Jack Aubrey

i liked two of his, Signs and The Lady In The Water bolt.gif

i never saw Sixth Sense because the ending was spoiled for me and I dont remember much of Unbreakable because i was kinda young when i saw it. i might check it out someday. Village coulda been good if it was marketed differently, not as a scary movie. i went expecting to be scared $h!tless like signs...turns out, no. Im looking forward to the happening but i dont have any idea what its about. Anybody?

QUOTE (VaporTrails04 @ Feb 5 2008, 08:52 PM)
i liked two of his, Signs and The Lady In The Water bolt.gif

i never saw Sixth Sense because the ending was spoiled for me and I dont remember much of Unbreakable because i was kinda young when i saw it. i might check it out someday. Village coulda been good if it was marketed differently, not as a scary movie. i went expecting to be scared $h!tless like signs...turns out, no. Im looking forward to the happening but i dont have any idea what its about. Anybody?

Have you seen the trailer? There's a thread about it here.

Now as far as the plot goes, (possible spoilers, highlight to read):

Details are sketchy so far but what I've heard is that basically Earth is pissed off at people for wrecking it, so it has plants develop a scent that acts on our brains and makes us want to kill ourselves. Please bear in mind that this is just a rumor, so it may not be entirely accurate, if at all. Please don't quote this post, as it will make the spoilers visible. Thanks!

I believe this is the first time I've seen you in here. Welcome to VV and make yourself at home. My wife asked me to tell you that your pug's a cute little guy. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 5 2008, 07:08 PM)
Sorry folks, I misspelled Shyamalan's name in the title (there's no K in Night), unfortunately when you edit a poll you can't edit the title. Please forgive me and thanks to a good buddy for pointing it out to me!

Lower left of the screen, the mod dropdown menu...do you not have an option for Edit Topic Title?

I also picked option #5. Really liked "Sixth Sense," loved "Unbreakable," really liked "Signs," hated the rest.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 5 2008, 11:21 PM)
I also picked option #5. Really liked "Sixth Sense," loved "Unbreakable," really liked "Signs," hated the rest.

I'm with you there. Option 5 for me as well.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 6 2008, 12:21 AM)
Lower left of the screen, the mod dropdown menu...do you not have an option for Edit Topic Title?

No, I sure don't. comp26.gif

the guy is an ass. Every movie of his looks like it should have potential then it just turns out to be some enormous let down. A great example of whats wrong with Hollywood horror - all hype and no substance.

Even the guys name bugs me - sounds like he spent six months trying to think of the most eerie and weird and intriguing moniker possible.

Unless I am too baked to get off the couch and find the remote control... I'll never be subjected to one of his films again.

My two cents...

schla03.gif

He made a career off of the 6th Sense and I don't think his movies live up to all the hype. Seems he tries way too hard to crank up the "Shamalan" factor in his movies with some weird hook or unusual suprise...

a lot of style with not a lot of substance for my money.

I picked three: Sixth Sense, Signs, and the Village. Unbreakable was merely okay, and I didn't see Lady in the Water.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Feb 6 2008, 10:46 AM)
the guy is an ass. Every movie of his looks like it should have potential then it just turns out to be some enormous let down. A great example of whats wrong with Hollywood horror - all hype and no substance.

Even the guys name bugs me - sounds like he spent six months trying to think of the most eerie and weird and intriguing moniker possible.

Unless I am too baked to get off the couch and find the remote control... I'll never be subjected to one of his films again.

My two cents...

I basically agree.