That's it i quit!

softfilter

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 8 2008, 09:01 AM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 2 2008, 09:44 PM)
Countless times for school I've been asked to read Shakespeare plays and ended up on the internet finding out the storyline and writing my essay based on that and a few random quotes that I find by flicking through. laugh.gif

Sorry, but I find that quite sad actually.

Shakespeare was one of the greatest exponents of the English language in history along with other such luminaries as Chaucer, Byron, Wordsworth Hardy etc and for you to dismiss him like that is very disappointimg indeed. i thoroughly recommend that you take the time to really study a couple of his plays as they are richly rewarding.

Also, I don't really want to be too critical of modern education, but there is no way that I could have got away with abridging accounts from the internet when I was at school (saying that, there WAS no internet when I was at school). The standard expected simply would have made it impossible to get away with this.

It's coursework... if it was an exam no chance but since it's coursework it's very easy to get away with it because the teacher has gotta check it before it goes anywhere... Any mistakes can be changed.

Dickens - Yes

Shakespeare - No

If it makes me disrespectful or uneducated and stupid or whatever else I guess I'm all those things. I feel the same way about Much Ado About Nothing, Romeo And Juliet and The Merchant Of Venice as you do about Roll The Bones, Counterparts and Vapor Trails.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 11 2008, 12:12 AM)
If it makes me disrespectful or uneducated and stupid or whatever else I guess I'm all those things. I feel the same way about Much Ado About Nothing, Romeo And Juliet and The Merchant Of Venice as you do about Roll The Bones, Counterparts and Vapor Trails.

Hey easy Tiger biggrin.gif

I certainly didn't infer that you were uneducated, disrespectful or stupid. I have re-read my post and can't see any way that I may have led you to think this, but please believe me that that was not my intention.

If you don't like Shakespeare then fine: Personally I think it is sad that you are denying yourself a great literary experience, but horses for courses( For the record I love Dickens too smile.gif), so there's no need to be so defensive, ok?

However, I think it is ridiculous(whether you like him or not) to talk about Shakespeares work as if it was on a level footing with Rush. Much as I love them, I hardly think people will still be talking about them three or four centuries from now laugh.gif

Don't get upset. I'm really not making fun of you.....

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 11 2008, 06:07 PM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 11 2008, 12:12 AM)

Hey easy Tiger biggrin.gif

I certainly didn't infer that you were uneducated, disrespectful or stupid. I have re-read my post and can't see any way that I may have led you to think this, but please believe me that that was not my intention.

If you don't like Shakespeare then fine: Personally I think it is sad that you are denying yourself a great literary experience, but horses for courses( For the record I love Dickens too smile.gif), so there's no need to be so defensive, ok?

However, I think it is ridiculous(whether you like him or not) to talk about Shakespeares work as if it was on a level footing with Rush. Much as I love them, I hardly think people will still be talking about them three or four centuries from now laugh.gif

Don't get upset. I'm really not making fun of you.....

It's cool. Sorry if I came across like I was upset or pissed off with you. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 3 2008, 02:53 AM)
The Silmarillion. I really couldn't get into it. Might try again soon.

Either that or half of the books for my degree. Some of those are the most tedious things i have ever laid my eyes upon.

I guess these things are really quite subjective as I found that book GREAT! tongue.gif

QUOTE (nic2112nic @ Feb 13 2008, 02:23 PM)

Either that or half of the books for my degree. Some of those are the most tedious things i have ever laid my eyes upon.

I guess these things are really quite subjective as I found that book GREAT! tongue.gif

Brilliant, brilliant book! cool.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 2 2008, 09:05 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 2 2008, 09:00 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 2 2008, 09:53 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 2 2008, 08:49 AM)
Most recently it was Ken Burns' The War. I think Burns is a fine documentarian, but the good press this guy always gets has gone to his head. The underlying message of The War is: "World War II was justified because Ken Burns thinks it was". Dude, give the ego a rest and focus on the accounts of the soldiers.

Gee I hope the documentary itself is not like that..I'm going to start watching it this week sometime.

Don't worry, it's not. Just avoid the book.

gotcha

Never really bothered with the books for his other docs anyways biggrin.gif

Actually the book companion to his Civil War series is very good.

Also the book for the Baseball documentary is a worthwhile read.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 13 2008, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (nic2112nic @ Feb 13 2008, 02:23 PM)

Brilliant, brilliant book! cool.gif

I'm a HUGE fan of LOTR. No question it's a great book and a must for any big fan of LOTR...but I gotta agree...that is easily a tough read.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 3 2008, 01:18 PM)
I've stopped reading hundreds of books. Good books are too important to me to waste my time on crap. If you can't hold my interest for even three measly chapters, I'll move on to somebody who can... the library's full of stuff for me to get to.

AMEN Brother!!!

me too.

so many, i haven't kept track

the only one that comes to mind that i couldn't finish was "Relationship Rescue"

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Feb 17 2008, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 3 2008, 01:18 PM)
I've stopped reading hundreds of books.  Good books are too important to me to waste my time on crap.  If you can't hold my interest for even three measly chapters, I'll move on to somebody who can... the library's full of stuff for me to get to.

AMEN Brother!!!

me too.

so many, i haven't kept track

trink39.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 20 2008, 09:54 AM)
QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Feb 18 2008, 08:56 PM)
I tried to read "The Silmarillion" by Tolkein a few times, but quit, its just waaayyy toooo intense- has anyone else tried to read this?

Interesting... This one was already mentioned a little further up the page. I loved it.

whoops yea, I hadn't read the page yet, but I'm a Huge LOTR fan, and I'll probably start trying to read it again soon.

I love science. I really do. I am fascinated by most aspects of it. By "most" I mean the stuff I understand. There is a lot of stuff that is above me and completely incomprehensable. Charls Darwin's Autobiography was by no means interesting at all. Very boring guy. He walked a lot and loved to shoot anything. Killed a bunch of animals just for sport. What a guy!!!! The only interesting thing about him was the fact that he went on a boat for two years and shot a bunch of animals he'd never seen before from forign countries, then got a bunch of ideas in his head, from delirous sea-sickness???? Eventually producing the Origin of Species many , Many, MANY years following.

unsure.gif

I put it down half way through. Galileo's trials and the Separation of Church and State are much more interesting topics for me. trink36.gif

QUOTE (Tammeh @ Feb 13 2008, 12:30 AM)
Ironically, one of the few books I could not finish was Stephen King's Insomnia. It was a good cure for insomnia for me laugh.gif

To be quite honest, I tend to find Stephen King has that general effecgt on me with a couple of exceptions.

I didn't think I would be back here so soon.

On The Road, by Jack Kerouac.

I tried a couple of years ago, got 1/3 of the way through.

Just tried again and 1/2 through, there isn't much that keeps me interested, and there doesn't seem like there is going to be.

I'm ready to give up again...maybe I'll give it a litle more time.

Does it get better?

I can't seem to get through the book Wicked. I have tried several time but just can't do it.

I need to keep trying, my daughter is waiting for me to finish to see if it is okay for her to read.

My thoughts right now - If I can't read it she shouldn't.

QUOTE (DiscipleofLerxst @ Mar 2 2008, 06:20 AM)

Just tried again and 1/2 through, there isn't much that keeps me interested, and there doesn't seem like there is going to be.

Does it get better?

I personally love this book; however, one author's writing style does not make for another reader's reading style. Did that make sense? tongue.gif What's not doing it for you? I know a few people who can't stand Kerouac. Anyway, I'm just curious... what's making it hard for you to finish the book?

QUOTE (Janie @ Mar 2 2008, 09:19 AM)
QUOTE (DiscipleofLerxst @ Mar 2 2008, 06:20 AM)

Does it get better?

I personally love this book; however, one author's writing style does not make for another reader's reading style. Did that make sense? tongue.gif What's not doing it for you? I know a few people who can't stand Kerouac. Anyway, I'm just curious... what's making it hard for you to finish the book?

Well....I'm not really sure....

Don't get me wrong...I don't hate it, there are parts I liked...His first trip to Denver in the back of the truck, his working as a security guard, and when he hooked up with the Mexican girl are some.

So far I've read up to the part when they meet up with some friends outside New Orleans and stay there for a while...They've just left and crossed the Mississippi.

I'm not a big fan of the character Dean Moriarty even though he seems to be Sals driving force. He's a pain in the ass as far as I'm concerned.

I feel as if I'm constantly saying, "Something is gonna happen soon" and all that happens is doing drugs and hooking up with friends.

I understand Kerouac was on drugs when he slammed this book out, AND it's call "On The Road" which is all that is happening is being on the road, but something other than that has to happen.

I've scanned ahead and seen a couple of things that spark my interest, but I have to read a lot to get there.

One more thing that might be killing it for me is that I'm sort of in a transition period where I'm not sure what I want to read. I pick up this, or that, read a little, or in the case of On The Road a lot, but I'm allowing myself to get distracted easily, by other books as I'm not able to dive into anything deeply enough to not want to stop reading 'til I reach the end.

I haven't shelved On The Road again, and I want to finish it, but at this point I feel if something else hold my attention long enough, I might not get back into it.

confused13.gif