That's it i quit!

softfilter

For whatever reason has there been books you thought would interest you, but once you struggled reading through chapter after chapter ... Decided i can't do it,and never return to again.

One that come to mind for me is, http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/spirit3trails/9780140157345H.jpg

At Dawn we slept by Gordon Prange.

A monsterous detailed study of Pearl Harbor 738 pages.

This account leans toward that perhaps the president of the United States Franklin Delano Roosevelt was aware that a Japanese attack on Hawaii was going to take place several years before it actually happened. Intriguing to a point much evidence is there to support claims US government knew of the threat. But theres way to much layered diplomatic chess games going on here the reader has to cipher through to connect the complete story. For me Prange could of left out some of this which was mostly back ground material and doesen't add anything to the understanding of this tragic event. In other words half way through bogged down by diplomatic cat and mouse no action yet, bored I gave up, I quit !!! schla03.gif

Edited by softfilter

It pains me to no end when I can't finish a book. I'll do whatever it takes to plow through one BUT there have been two books I just could not finish.

Barbary Shore (Norman Mailer) and Beloved (Toni Morrison)

So I went and dragged them out of hiding from the bookshelves. By the amount of coffee mug stains on the cover of Barbary Shore, I obviously had it out for a decent length of time, trying to finish it but then gave up and started using it as a coaster.

Beloved I tried re-reading twice but found myself having a hard time keeping track of the characters or something.

Most recently it was Ken Burns' The War. I think Burns is a fine documentarian, but the good press this guy always gets has gone to his head. The underlying message of The War is: "World War II was justified because Ken Burns thinks it was". Dude, give the ego a rest and focus on the accounts of the soldiers.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 2 2008, 08:49 AM)
Most recently it was Ken Burns' The War. I think Burns is a fine documentarian, but the good press this guy always gets has gone to his head. The underlying message of The War is: "World War II was justified because Ken Burns thinks it was". Dude, give the ego a rest and focus on the accounts of the soldiers.

Gee I hope the documentary itself is not like that..I'm going to start watching it this week sometime.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 2 2008, 09:53 AM)

Gee I hope the documentary itself is not like that..I'm going to start watching it this week sometime.

Don't worry, it's not. Just avoid the book.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 2 2008, 09:00 AM)

gotcha

Never really bothered with the books for his other docs anyways biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 2 2008, 08:00 AM)

I didn't even know there WAS a book. laugh.gif

The documentary is amazing.

A Michael Connolly book called Echo Park was the last one I remember. Read about three chapters and couldn't take it anymore. Bland as hell.

Countless times for school I've been asked to read Shakespeare plays and ended up on the internet finding out the storyline and writing my essay based on that and a few random quotes that I find by flicking through. laugh.gif

I've stopped reading hundreds of books. Good books are too important to me to waste my time on crap. If you can't hold my interest for even three measly chapters, I'll move on to somebody who can... the library's full of stuff for me to get to.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Feb 2 2008, 09:42 AM)
Dare I say it??? The Masked Rider. I couldn't finish it. I've read all of his other books, but I never could finish TMR. Let the flogging begin tongue.gif

Come to think of it, I never finished this either.

I must confess that there have been a few that I've started over the years and, for one reason or another, never managed to finish.

Among the ones I can remember are:

Anything by D H Lawrence (Lawrence was one of the authors I studied both for my 'A' level and degree and, to be honest, I absolutely despise his writing).

The Last of the Mohicans - James Fennimore Cooper(just couldn't get into it)

On the Origin of Species - Charles Darwin

The Prince - Machiavelli

Leviathan - Thomas Hobbes

Adam Bede - George Elliot

Frankenstein - Mary Shelley

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

Robinson Crusoe - Daniel De Foe

Another one i didn't dig to far in was "A History Of Wales" by John Davies. Always interested in my Welsh heritage decided to get a rich in depth education of my kinfolk, 767 pages.

Embrassed to say but the reason i quit this one was not being able to unravel and differentiate between persons and places! unsure.gif laugh.gif

Honestly all those llynwilllyn of Illynwillyyyn(exaggerated for demonstration purpose).... but not by much wacko.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 2 2008, 09:44 PM)
Countless times for school I've been asked to read Shakespeare plays and ended up on the internet finding out the storyline and writing my essay based on that and a few random quotes that I find by flicking through. laugh.gif

Sorry, but I find that quite sad actually.

Shakespeare was one of the greatest exponents of the English language in history along with other such luminaries as Chaucer, Byron, Wordsworth Hardy etc and for you to dismiss him like that is very disappointimg indeed. i thoroughly recommend that you take the time to really study a couple of his plays as they are richly rewarding.

Also, I don't really want to be too critical of modern education, but there is no way that I could have got away with abridging accounts from the internet when I was at school (saying that, there WAS no internet when I was at school). The standard expected simply would have made it impossible to get away with this.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Feb 4 2008, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Feb 2 2008, 09:42 AM)
Dare I say it??? The Masked Rider. I couldn't finish it. I've read all of his other books, but I never could finish TMR. Let the flogging begin  tongue.gif

Come to think of it, I never finished this either.

I found unbearable as well.

I started it right after I bought it at the Tampa T4E show and put it down about a third of the way through...a few years later I picked it up and re-read it...it didn't get any better.

I read Travelling Music too...but none of his others.