That's it i quit!

softfilter

Ugh.... Da Vinci code. Never mind the faulty theology, history or anything else...it fails as literature.

But that's not the point of this thread wink.gif

I was never able to finish "The Water Method Man" by John Irving. It wasn't hard, or particularly boring. I don't know why I couldn't.

QUOTE (Slime @ Mar 3 2008, 10:48 PM)
I was never able to finish "The Water Method Man" by John Irving. It wasn't hard, or particularly boring. I don't know why I couldn't.

I'm a huge John Irving fan, but could never finish his first three novels. Of the three, "Water Method Man" sounds like the one I'd like most, and it's the most comic of the three. I've started it I don't know how many times, but never make it far. Strange. He's one of my favorite novelists, too... I've read everything but those first three.

Lisey's Story by Stephen King

Lord Of The Rings by Tolkien, The Hobbit was better. Perhaps I should do one book at a time instead of all three in one large book.

Dragonriders of Pern by Anne Mc Cafferey, just tried it again. At leaast I made it to page 11 this time.

Old Man In The Sea by Hemingway. YAWN!

Wuthering Heights by Bronte. Nothing about this book was exciting or even interesting. I kept waiting for something, anything to happen.

Silas Marner by George Eliot. Had to read the whole thing in high school. Worst book ever!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 5 2008, 02:09 AM)
QUOTE (Slime @ Mar 3 2008, 10:48 PM)

I'm a huge John Irving fan, but could never finish his first three novels. Of the three, "Water Method Man" sounds like the one I'd like most, and it's the most comic of the three. I've started it I don't know how many times, but never make it far. Strange. He's one of my favorite novelists, too... I've read everything but those first three.

It was strange for me too. I finished Garp in two days of marathon reading. Prayer for Owen Meany took about a week of steady reading and Hotel New Hampshire was done in about four days. Water Method Man is much shorter than those ones, but I still got distracted by whatever.

Must be my gaming thing.

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Mar 8 2008, 10:04 PM)
QUOTE (condemned2bfree @ Mar 8 2008, 01:56 PM)
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/122/storyib4.png

i don't think i want to read that...

I've actually read it and thoroughly enjoyed it - far better than the film

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Mar 12 2008, 12:52 PM)
QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Mar 8 2008, 10:04 PM)
QUOTE (condemned2bfree @ Mar 8 2008, 01:56 PM)
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/122/storyib4.png

i don't think i want to read that...

I've actually read it and thoroughly enjoyed it - far better than the film

I only saw the movie. I hated it and was terrified the name was really TRUE...it was an endless voyage into hell.

Nora Roberts just blows. I was reading Blood Brothers the other day... Yawn... Her books are so weak and the storylines so thin. They do nothing for me except make me wish I was reading Stephen King instead. I never could get into her.

Well Rush is a popular band and millions of people don't like them either. Reading taste is personal--just like musical taste.

It depends what you're used to...or what you've grown up with. IMO

Les Miserables (unabridged)

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ May 8 2008, 06:48 PM)
Les Miserables (unabridged)

I actually finished that one but I had to force myself. biggrin.gif

I hav tried and tried to read A Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Several of my friends loved it. I. . .found it intolerably slow. sad.gif

QUOTE (Marathonist @ May 8 2008, 10:11 PM)
I hav tried and tried to read A Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Several of my friends loved it. I. . .found it intolerably slow. sad.gif

I read it last autumn and loved it.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ May 9 2008, 05:11 AM)

I read it many years ago. It was tough, but I managed to finish it. By the end, though, I was deeply depressed. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I couldn't get through A Confederacy Of Dunces. Just didn't care for any of the characters enough to want to know what would happen to them next.

The Three Musketeers.... I couldn't keep all the French names straight and finally gave up in disgust.

The LOTR trilogy..... which I feel bad about because it seems almost like a requirement that if you are a geek you like these books, LOL. I think I'll give them another try someday, but I don't know when.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 17 2008, 11:43 AM)
I couldn't get through A Confederacy Of Dunces. Just didn't care for any of the characters enough to want to know what would happen to them next.

Me too.

I had heard many good things about the book and how great the characters were and even how interesting the story of the author was...I was really looking forward to reading it.

Got about half way through (with a lot of effort) and finally just put it down.

QUOTE (DiscipleofLerxst @ May 18 2008, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 17 2008, 11:43 AM)
I couldn't get through A Confederacy Of Dunces.  Just didn't care for any of the characters enough to want to know what would happen to them next.

Me too.

I had heard many good things about the book and how great the characters were and even how interesting the story of the author was...I was really looking forward to reading it.

Got about half way through (with a lot of effort) and finally just put it down.

Yeah. I was actually enjoying it early on, but then...

Well, I wasn't.

The Ruins by Scott Smith.

My wife picked up a copy of this crap...cheap...from page one...all I could think was...."C'mon...get it moving"...got about 175 pages into the 500 in the book and it just can't get going...page after page of useless unrelated to the story crap....I did a Wikipedia search and found out a movie had been made....ever heard of it?

Me either....anyway wikipedia told me all I wanted to know...