Really Overrated Directors

Ya_Big_Tree

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Apr 20 2007, 10:15 PM)
i got nothing there dude....

laugh.gif

I stole the show though. I "improvised" my lines and brought the house down. I got in trouble though for saying "damn". It was a religious Christmas play. They frowned on that. confused13.gif

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 3 2007, 05:32 PM)
If you want a truly overrated director then here it is, I give you M. Night Shyamalan...

Truer words have never been spoken. That guy puts out nothing but dog droppings.

I put his films on my permanent blacklist.

You know people, I've been thinking over the last few months about M. Night. (Even so enough I felt I had to dig this thread out of the archives) After re-watching a few of his movies, as far as a directors stand point, he is a pretty good director.

Yes, I said it M. Night is a good "director"

Screenwriter on the other hand, not so much.

As a director he tells a visually intresting story, and so on.

If he were to give his general ideas for stories to other writers, and M.Night in the background. Then a really good M.Night movie could happen.

Or if the chose to do someone else's story, such as a Stephen King film, or He has stated he might be intrested in doing one of the Harry Potter films, I think he could do a good job.

Still he needs a lot of practice in writing. He has good ideas for stories, but as a full screenwriter, he ruins his own ideas.

What do you all think

I am done with Sofia Coppola. I am no longer a fan of that blatant racist. There are no black actors in any of her movies, including the one that was set during the Civil War. Sometimes she employs Asians, but only in very minor roles. She left out an undocumented Mexican immigrant from the Bling Ring. She also cut 2 black characters out of The Beguiled who were present in the novel it was based on. Did she really think no one would notice? A lot of Japanese people actually boycotted Lost In Translation because they felt it portrayed their people in a negative, mocking, stereotypical way. Edited by Boots
  • Like 1

I am done with Sofia Coppola. I am no longer a fan of that blatant racist. There are no black actors in any of her movies, including the one that was set during the Civil War. Sometimes she employs Asians, but only in very minor roles. She left out an undocumented Mexican immigrant from the Bling Ring. She also cut 2 black characters out of The Beguiled who were present in the novel it was based on. Did she really think no one would notice? A lot of Japanese people actually boycotted Lost In Translation because they felt it portrayed their people in a negative, mocking, stereotypical way.

But does that make her "overrated" ?? .. Has the fact that you now see her as racist caused you to feel her directorial skills are less than what you previously thought ??

I admit that I have seen only one of her films - Virgin Suicides ( which I thought was brilliant )

Edited by Lucas

I am done with Sofia Coppola. I am no longer a fan of that blatant racist. There are no black actors in any of her movies, including the one that was set during the Civil War. Sometimes she employs Asians, but only in very minor roles. She left out an undocumented Mexican immigrant from the Bling Ring. She also cut 2 black characters out of The Beguiled who were present in the novel it was based on. Did she really think no one would notice? A lot of Japanese people actually boycotted Lost In Translation because they felt it portrayed their people in a negative, mocking, stereotypical way.

wow

Racism is often tragically, farcically unoriginal. That’s the main takeaway from my viewing of Lost in Translation in 2017. I counted at least five jokes about mixing up L with R, e.g., “Lat Pack,” “Loger Moore,” and, most infamously, an insistent “Lip my stockings” from a faux-helpless prostitute who flails on the floor screaming for “Hep! Preas!” According to the movie, Japanese sexuality is “weird.” Japanese TV is "weird." Japanese food is good, but Japanese tastes are “weird.” (Riffing on Charlotte’s injured toe, Bob riffs, “This country, somebody’s gotta prefer a black toe [as a sushi delicacy].” He then apes the people around him: “Brack toe.”) Not a single Japanese person is relatable as a fellow human being. Coppola’s camera also runs through the most banal images possible of “Japaneseness”: geishas, kimonos, Buddhist temples, neon-dominated cityscapes, pachinko parlors, Mount Fuji, flower arrangements. It’s a small wonder that Fodor’s didn’t sue the film for identity theft

http://www.mtv.com/news/3021638/lost-in-translation-is-an-insufferable-racist-mess-why-would-we-expect-the-beguiled-to-be-any-different/

Edited by Lucas

Christopher "Know-it-All" Nolan.

Agreed.

I actually enjoyed Interstellar but I found everything else clinical, emotionless shite.

Dunkirk looks like an exception though.

But when I saw Batmans mum and dad getting murdered in front of him, and felt nothing, I knew his movies wouldn't be for me.

Again I curiously adored Interstellar. Can't pinpoint why.

wow

Racism is often tragically, farcically unoriginal. That’s the main takeaway from my viewing of Lost in Translation in 2017. I counted at least five jokes about mixing up L with R, e.g., “Lat Pack,” “Loger Moore,” and, most infamously, an insistent “Lip my stockings” from a faux-helpless prostitute who flails on the floor screaming for “Hep! Preas!” According to the movie, Japanese sexuality is “weird.” Japanese TV is "weird." Japanese food is good, but Japanese tastes are “weird.” (Riffing on Charlotte’s injured toe, Bob riffs, “This country, somebody’s gotta prefer a black toe [as a sushi delicacy].” He then apes the people around him: “Brack toe.”) Not a single Japanese person is relatable as a fellow human being. Coppola’s camera also runs through the most banal images possible of “Japaneseness”: geishas, kimonos, Buddhist temples, neon-dominated cityscapes, pachinko parlors, Mount Fuji, flower arrangements. It’s a small wonder that Fodor’s didn’t sue the film for identity theft

http://www.mtv.com/n...-any-different/

Great movie, but now I realize I should have boycotted it because it shows Americans as shallow, unfaithful, and self-absorbed. :eyeroll:

wow

http://www.mtv.com/n...-any-different/

Great movie, but now I realize I should have boycotted it because it shows Americans as shallow, unfaithful, and self-absorbed. :eyeroll:

Also the film is about how they feel isolated from all around them.

The "racism" comes off more as how they feel seperate from their surroundings, lost in a foreign culture.

The key is the title

• Like 1

Scorsese- Sorry his films bore me.

Nolan by FAR

lucas

and tarentino-Even though i LOVE his early stuff.

Mick

Only Scorsese film i love is shutter island

Nolan by FAR

lucas

Mick

And in fairness i should mention Goodfellas is my fav film. but nothing else has done it for me.

Mick

Nolan by FAR

lucas

Mick

And in fairness i should mention Goodfellas is my fav film. but nothing else has done it for me.

Mick

Have you seen Shutter Island?

Nolan by FAR

lucas

Mick

Mick

Goodfellas is as Scorsese as you can get! It oozes Scorsese! If you said something like After Hours I might be able to understand liking only one Scorsese film, but Goodfellas! Really? There isn't one other Scorsese film you like or appreciate? The Last Waltz, maybe?

Nolan by FAR

lucas

Mick

Mick

Goodfellas is as Scorsese as you can get! It oozes Scorsese! If you said something like After Hours I might be able to understand liking only one Scorsese film, but Goodfellas! Really? There isn't one other Scorsese film you like or appreciate? The Last Waltz, maybe?

nope. I've seen mostly all of em.

i don't know if it's an era/generational thing.

they're fine but greatest director ever......i'm confused.

Mick