Really Overrated Directors

Ya_Big_Tree

Well, this thread is about directors you feel are over rated and imo Tarentino fits the bill for me personally. His movies seem to rely on violence(admittedly more than sex and I admit I may have mispoken about the sex part although there is one gratutous scene in Jackie Brown that comes to mind). In my opinion, he just goes about things in a juvenile way. I get the feeling he is thinking something like "oh boy look what I can get away with in this. I'm so cool." However, everyone has their opinions and I wouldn't expect many people to see where I am coming from with this or agree with me and that's perfectly fine.

I think his homages to previous filmmakers not in the Hollywood mainstream or to foreign filmmakers as well as his overall quirkiness makes him popular with film geeks but I don't know how well thought of his movies play to mainstream critics overall. The opening scene in Inglourious Basterds at the farm is a terrific scene, but then he goes over the top goofy at other times. I liked the movie overall but would rather have had him continue that tone throughout. Or at least have made 2 separate movies. Django Unchained has the same problem. He has elements that work great and elements that grate. He clearly has the talent to be a consistently great filmmaker but his quirky stuff interrupts it too much sometimes. Edited by Rushian King

Well, this thread is about directors you feel are over rated and imo Tarentino fits the bill for me personally. His movies seem to rely on violence(admittedly more than sex and I admit I may have mispoken about the sex part although there is one gratutous scene in Jackie Brown that comes to mind). In my opinion, he just goes about things in a juvenile way. I get the feeling he is thinking something like "oh boy look what I can get away with in this. I'm so cool." However, everyone has their opinions and I wouldn't expect many people to see where I am coming from with this or agree with me and that's perfectly fine.

I thought the Kill Bills were overrated. In fact, I dislike all of his 21st century movies. I'm not sure how much they're overrated though since I don't hear too much praise for The Hateful Eight or Django. Inglourious Basterds seemed to get a lot of praise though and I disliked almost all of that.

Basically, any praise he gets from me is only directed towards Reservoir Dogs, Pulp, and Jackie Brown. Those 3 are as good as his 21st century films are bad. So for me, that's 20 years since he's made something enjoyable + that's less than half of his movies that I enjoyed.

Yes his first 3 are his best. After that he tries too hard. But I still like his output overall this century. He gets terrific performances and his writing is still top notch. I just wish he'd focus and make a 'normal' movie because he's capable of greatness.