Which decade boasts the best of Alex's writing

treeduck

Which decade was Alex's peak for writing on guitar?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which decade was Alex's peak for writing on guitar?

• The 70s
    • The 80s
    • The 90s
    • Vapor Trails tops the lot
    • The new one plus VT will turn out to be Alex's pinnacle

I realize this will split the people who love the old stuff and the people who love the new stuff, but it's not as simple as that I don't think. Let's see what you lot make of this...

Remember, its GUITAR not drumming, not bass not vocals or mini moog, think six strings, think guitar...

The 80's for sure. He was on fire with albums like MP, Signals, GUP and PW. IMO, he knew that the keyboards were starting to become the center piece of the band and that meant he had to rethink what used to be so natural to him. This process created some of the most innovative guitar work ever produced in my opinion.
  • Like 3

The 80's!!!!

Now... does his stuff on Permanent Waves count as 80's or 70's? That's crucial... that album was conceived and recorded in the 70's, but released and hit the general public in the 80's.

Anyways, I counted it as 80's in my vote.

• Like 3

For me it's gotta be the 80's --> Everything from Permanent Waves to Presto marked such a huge leap of growth in Alex's playing, very very intricate stuff. Especially on albums like Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. I know those albums are more keyboard oriented, but if you really listen Alex is very busy on the guitar.

Tough to say, but I'm sticking with the 80's. With the synth the rule and not the exception Alex completely rethought his style and managed to throw out some amazingly fresh rhythm guitar and killer leads like Analog Kid and Tom Sawyer.

QUOTE (subdivisions717 @ Dec 7 2006, 10:21 PM)
Tough to say, but I'm sticking with the 80's. With the synth the rule and not the exception Alex completely rethought his style and managed to throw out some amazingly fresh rhythm guitar and killer leads like Analog Kid and Tom Sawyer.

Guitar was still the dominant force on Moving Pictures...

• Like 1

The Necromancer, By Tor, Cygnus and Xanadu are not only some of Alex's best, but some of the best rock guitar ever ..

The 70s was a very exciting time for rock guitar, and Alex was right there as one of the best

• Like 1

The 80's!!!!

Now... does his stuff on Permanent Waves count as 80's or 70's? That's crucial... that album was conceived and recorded in the 70's, but released and hit the general public in the 80's.

Wow...Finbar. He was a cool cat.

The 80's!!!!

Wow...Finbar. He was a cool cat.

Yes, it's somewhat strange to see posts by some of the regulars from 10 years ago that haven't posted in years. Wonder what they have been up to.

I think the 70s were tops for both Alex's skills at writing guitar parts and as a player.

JARG, what do you think happened after that?

I think they started doing music that Alex wasn't as skilled writing for.

And his degradation as a player is just due to the ravages of time, which somehow Geddy has managed to stave off. Genetics and all that.

Edited by JARG

I love his seventies work.

As much as I love the eighties albums, once Signals came along they lost a large part of what made them so magical in the seventies. It hurts Signals especially as he has some great moments buried under layers of lame synths and flat production.

He does shine on Hold Your Fire as well, but his strength on that record is in his subtlety.

• Like 2

So much of what inspires a musician comes in the formative years when you are a kid, growing up, and trying to find a voice thru an instrument because life and school and dealing with older people is so damn uncomfortable ..

There is that great video of Alex when he was a teenager sitting around a table with his parents, and talking about music and the guitar ... And no matter how much you love your parents, there is a sense of rebellion that runs thru every great rock guitarist - rebellion and youthful energy in finding yourself ..

All of that culminated in the 70s with Alex

And in the 80s, it became quite the opposite - all of a sudden, Alex is attempting to fit in and tailor his style to what was going on at that time in music .. Granted, he may have genuinely enjoyed it, but still, when a rock guitarist trades rebellion for conformity, it's over

• Like 1