For those who grew up on vinyl

Slime

For those of you who grew up on vinyl, here is my question.

Which is the very first Compact Disc you bought? Was it a re-issue of a vinyl record, something that was available in both formats or a totally new find?

Discuss!

That's a good question, I was kinda(real) late adapting to the new technology not sure but I think it was Roll The Bones my first cd purchase.

I had a friend who made CD's of all my Rush albums as well as his and many other bands too. This was like 10 years ago when nobody really knew much about burning CD's and he was a computer whiz and figured out how to take albums and turn them into CD's. I seriously got nearly all my vinyl copied and ended up with like 60 CD's. 1022.gif

It IS a good question, and it's got me thinking: what WAS the 1st CD I bought??? I most definitely remember the 1st vinyl albums I bought.....Power Windows and Dio's Sacred Heart back in '85, the former remaining to this very day my all time favourite album. I honestly can't remember the 1st CD. Strange that!!!

My very first CD was "Architeture & Morality" by OMD.

My only CD for a long time maybe a year or so. That one played every evening then.

It was at the age of 12, before that I had some Vinyl by Jean Michelle Jarre & Vangelis.

I got the used CD-Player from my parents as they bought themselves a new one.

This is hard! I can remember the first vinyl LP I bought - Sheer Heart Attack by Queen, but not the first CD. When I was poorer, I had about 12 CD's in my collection, but had them all stolen!

I think the first CD might have been Powerage by AC/DC, one of my favourite vinyl LP's. The CD has different track listings to the original UK vinyl release. The CD has Rock 'N' Roll Damnation as the opening track, but the vinyl doesn't even have it on my copy, which is fanatastic, as this track is possibly the worst of the Bon era. The UK LP contained Cold Hearted Man - a superb track!

I don't own Sheer Heart Attack on CD. It must have been an early teenage thing.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 19 2006, 05:29 AM)
I can't remember what mine was, but it was 1991, I'd previously sworn never to get a CD player but by then I had to, it was the only way to get all the albums I wanted...

sad.gif

I had exactly the same issue, I was fighting a lone rearguard defence against the tide of CDs', the last new release vinyl I bought before the switch was Queen's "Innuendo". A few months later, defences weakened, I gave in and bought a CD player. The first cds' I bought were "The Yes Album", which sounded like it was remastered using cow-dung when compared to my ancient vinyl copy, Teenage Fanclub's "Bandwagonesque", and the Aerosmith box set "Pandora's Box".

I resisted the change to CD format for as long as I could, continuing to buy vinyl until 1991 or '92...

Then Rush released a new CD that wasn't widely available on vinyl, and I caved to the pressure. I bought my first CD player and my first CD on the same day... the release date for Roll the Bones.

I got my first CD player Christmas Day, 1988. Along with that, I got 3 CD's as presents also. They are:

Yes - Relayer

Sugarcubes - Life's Too Good

til Tuesday - Everything's Different Now

The latter two were current, but "Relayer" was the first to be "tried out" on my new CD player. Can you imagine hearing the opening to "Gates of Delirium" that way? 1022.gif

However, it was not the remastered one. I can tell that this CD release had some "noise" on it that I would hope does not exist on the remaster which I may get someday.

Anybody remember CD's being packages in those long oversized cardboard boxes?

Moving Pictures.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 20 2006, 03:09 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Nov 20 2006, 02:04 PM)
Moving Pictures.

Moving Pictures? What year? Wasn't Grace under Pressure the first album to be issued on CD as well as vinyl and cassette upon it's release date?

I don't know. I think '93 or '94. I had bought my first CD player the day before. Before that, I had all my music on cassettes.

Looking back I think my first CD was Steve Morse's Southern Steel, I liked Morse anyway (The Introduction, High Tension Wires, Dregs stuff and Kansas) but after seeing the review in guitar world I HAD to have it, so I bought a CD player for my technics system and bam there was Southern Steel on vinyl so I got the vinyl version after all but later on still got the CD version anyway...

wacko.gif

As an addendum to my previous post, the next CD that I bought was "A Show of Hands" which I got the day of it's release: January 9, 1989.

Archived