Red Hot Chili Peppers

anagramking

Saw them last night in Toronto. Sat right beside the stage. Awesome show!! Chad Smith is a powerhouse and John Fruschianti (spelling?) is one of the most tasteful guitarists in rock music. And Flea - wow!

Californication is one of those albums which defines that time of my life when it was out. Whenver I listen to it I recall memories from that summer of 1999.

They are unique and are great musicians.

Not too keen on One Hot Minute. Without John Frusciante on guitar the Peppers are just not the Peppers IMO...

QUOTE (anagramking @ Sep 26 2006, 02:34 PM)
What does everyone think of this group?

Of what I've heard of them, I think they're good at what they do and better than 99% of the crap that comes out today. That doesn't mean I'm even close to being a fan, but I have some modicum of respect for them, which is a lot from me as far as current music is concerned.

If, however, they suddenly dropped off the face of the earth and no one ever mentioned them again, I seriously doubt I would notice.

:bump:

John released a tribute piece to a fallen friend last month and it's back to his usual tasteful guitar playing. Free d/l on the official. Beautiful stuff.

Great bump, Steevo! Thanks! Now that's digging deep! :notworthy:

Great band! I saw them in 2000 in Idaho and they rocked (STP opened). I like they way they've updated their sound. They've come a long way from a punk band from LA.

I'll check it out. Frusciante was always my favourite of their guitar players. Immaculate phrasing.

• Like 1

Meh, after Hillel Slovak died they became a different band that I didn't really like. Mother's Milk was ok and Blood, Sugar was pretty good too, but everything after that is just boring and lame to me.

...and I was just praising your good taste you little shit :LOL:

Actually the new EP by John is just plain awful. I *hate* the electronica/experimental art-rock wank he's drifting into now :facepalm: A sheer waste of an awesome rock guitarist :(

• Like 1

Meh, after Hillel Slovak died they became a different band that I didn't really like. Mother's Milk was ok and Blood, Sugar was pretty good too, but everything after that is just boring and lame to me.

Actually the new EP by John is just plain awful. I *hate* the electronica/experimental art-rock wank he's drifting into now :facepalm: A sheer waste of an awesome rock guitarist :(

:rfl: I gave them one more try with Californication, but it did nothing for me. Freaky Styley and Uplift Mofo Party Plan will always be my favorite things they have done. Blood Sugar was their last good album in my opinion.

:rfl: I gave them one more try with Californication, but it did nothing for me. Freaky Styley and Uplift Mofo Party Plan will always be my favorite things they have done. Blood Sugar was their last good album in my opinion.

Where you finish I start! All that punk-funk-frat boy nonsense did zilch for me and seriously gets on my nerves. I preferred the musicality and diversity that was to follow during the JF years. MM and BSSM are okish but Californication finally swung the RHCP doors wide open for me. I know I'm probably the only one here that thinks along those lines but that's ok :smoke:

Edited by Steevo
  • Like 1

Where you finish I start! All that punk-funk-frat boy nonsense did zilch for me and seriously gets on my nerves. I preferred the musicality and diversity that was to follow during the JF years. MM and BSSM are okish but Californication finally swung the RHCP doors wide open for me. I know I'm probably the only one here that thinks along those lines but that's ok :smoke:

I got into them when BBSM came out. I've bought every release on release day since. I like old Peppers, but it's BSSM and all that followed that made me the huge Peps fan I still am today.

Too bad JF got wacky again and claims he never wants to be in a band again, and just wants to concentrate on his electronic noodling. He's a f***ing genius on the guitar.

• Like 1

After Blood Sugar they just got boring and lame to me. Too mellow- give me the punk-funk-frat boy nonsense!

After Blood Sugar they just got boring and lame to me. Too mellow- give me the punk-funk-frat boy nonsense!

You're welcome to it. Funny how everyone has their interpretation of boring and lame.

But I have to mention I don't like them anymore, just the gold that came from JF's comeback post-BSSM really.

Edited by Steevo