Disrespected bands that you love

Slime

The reverse of my other thread (I'll say right now that I stole both ideas from another forum tongue.gif). What bands out there get critical and societal hatred that you feel is highly undeserved? This can also be the place to mention highly underrated bands.

I have no ideas right now, but I will probably later.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Green Day.

Sure, they are popular, but...

Plenty of "serious" critics simply write them off as pop darlings. (After all, we cannot be highbrow and still like Green Day, can we? It's music for 12-year-old-boys, right?) In fact, I did just that myself for years. Then I listened to all their albums and realized just how creative and talented they are. American Idiot flows together better than 99% of other rock albums. As far as I am concerned, it's the Sgt Peppers of the 2000's.

Platinum Blonde, 80's Canadian synthpop that's actually very good. (And they have a kickass solo from Mr. Lifeson in Crying Over You.) But as soon as you mention pop and 80's in the same sentence, people run screaming.

The Grateful Dead - unfairly dismissed as hippie noodling.

Ok, it is hippie noodling, but REALLY well done hippie noodling, and when they weren't playing endless jammy songs in concert, they made some incredible beloved songs like Ripple, Casey Jones, Truckin', Sugar Magnolia, Scarlet Beognias and Uncle John's Band. Then of course there's Dark Star, Cosmic Charlie, St. Stephen, Eyes of the World, Touch of Grey, China Cat Sunflower and dozens more great, great songs.

I guess you either get them or you don't, but I had to be subjected to their music quite a bit before I finally GOT it. Incredible musicianship and really meaningful lyrics. Phish could only dream of having the lyrical depth the Dead had to go along with their amazing jamming...

Danzig. He gets bashed for being an asshole, but I love his first three albums.

The Michale Graves era Misfits get little to no respect, but I actually like the two albums he did with them.

Megadeth. They're usually seen as Metallica Jr., but where Metallica is almost completely worthless now, Megadeth can still make great albums. 2004's The System Has Failed ruled!

Rush...but that's obvious.

Mr. Big. Sure, it's kinda like 1980s hair metal (in the 90s!), but the musicianship was incredible. A very talented bunch - with Billy Sheehan on bass, Paul Gilbert on guitar, and a decent rock/studio drummer named Pat Torpey. The vocals were pretty good too, although Eric Martin is more pretty than most girls I know.

Go beyond the ballad "To Be With You," and you'll find some rocking "shredder" songs.

I know I'm gonna catch shit for liking them. A lot of Rush fans say they were the worst band that ever opened for our boys. I disagree. That distinction goes to Fastway.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 9 2006, 03:57 PM)
Mr. Big. Sure, it's kinda like 1980s hair metal (in the 90s!), but the musicianship was incredible. A very talented bunch - with Billy Sheehan on bass, Paul Gilbert on guitar, and a decent rock/studio drummer named Pat Torpey. The vocals were pretty good too, although Eric Martin is more pretty than most girls I know.

Go beyond the ballad "To Be With You," and you'll find some rocking "shredder" songs.

I know I'm gonna catch shit for liking them. A lot of Rush fans say they were the worst band that ever opened for our boys. I disagree. That distinction goes to Fastway.

Ha! Worst band that opened for Rush?! Have you heard the bootleg with the jam between Alex, Neil, and Billy Sheehan? It's freakin' amazing, Sheehan is an amazing bassist! As I recall Geddy showed up late for soundcheck, so the three of them did a really kickass 10 minute jam. Someone out there must still have it, I heard it on the former Freedom of Music site. God I miss that place.

QUOTE (Wandering Hermit @ Jun 9 2006, 02:32 PM)
Green Day.

Sure, they are popular, but...

Plenty of "serious" critics simply write them off as pop darlings. (After all, we cannot be highbrow and still like Green Day, can we? It's music for 12-year-old-boys, right?) In fact, I did just that myself for years. Then I listened to all their albums and realized just how creative and talented they are. American Idiot flows together better than 99% of other rock albums. As far as I am concerned, it's the Sgt Peppers of the 2000's.

Damn..well said man. trink39.gif

MUSE, everyone always complains that they sound like Radiohed, which in reality MUSE singer has a much better voice. His voice is more operatic, more passion and emotion in it then Thom Yorke. Don't get me wrong i LOVE radiohead. Ne ways, MUSE isn't the best band, hell there no where EXCELLENT, but they have some good stuff, and most people just dismiss them.

They put on an excellent Live show too.

QUOTE (Rush Didact @ Jun 9 2006, 04:15 PM)
Ha! Worst band that opened for Rush?! Have you heard the bootleg with the jam between Alex, Neil, and Billy Sheehan? It's freakin' amazing, Sheehan is an amazing bassist! As I recall Geddy showed up late for soundcheck, so the three of them did a really kickass 10 minute jam. Someone out there must still have it, I heard it on the former Freedom of Music site. God I miss that place.

Glad someone else appreciates them. Yeah, Sheehan was an incredible bassist!

I saw them open for Rush twice on the Presto tour, and then saw "Senor Grande" headline, from the front row of a small venue. It was awesome! I have their first three albums, then lost interest. They made a couple more - Gilbert left, and was replaced by shredder Ritchie Kotzen, at which point they made a couple more, then disbanded.

Never heard that jam you mention, but I too miss the old Freedom of Music site.

Queen - the British press were on their case from 72(prior to "Queen" being released in 73).

Then poor Freddie passes away and suddenly they're "the best British singles band since the Beatles". That was from the now de-funct mag Vox.

And of course, YES. They have received no credit at all since Close To The Edge, even though Tales, Relayer, GFT1, Tormato, 90125, Magnification are all brilliant. Drama, big Gen, The Ladder are average in fairness. Open your Eyes is atrocious.

Their live shows are derided by the broadsheet critics and get no mention at all in serious mags like Mojo.

Their 35th anniversary came and went, with hardly any press inches, bar Classic Rock, but that's become unreadable. (Sorry Classic Rock fans, but it's one sloppily put together magazine.)

Besides Rush, the obvious one...

People wrote off the Smashing Pumpkins' post-Mellon Collie work, but in reality I think that Adore and MACHINA are their two best records. I also quite liked the Zwan album and Billy's solo album, neither of which a lot of people like.

Pretty much everybody long ago wrote off Axl Rose as a joke, but I am loving the 7 or so tracks I've heard that are going to be on Chinese Democracy. Axl, by the way, is 10 for 10 so far this tour.

Other than that it's really just selected albums from bands that I like that people don't...Bowie's Outside, stuff like that.

I'm not so sure they are 'disrespected' per se, but a current band that doesn't get the credit that they deserve is Foo Fighters, IMO. Everything they write is excellent, they rock, they have a great variety of music, great vocals, great drumming.

They are a truly awesome band, 100x greater than Grohl's previous band....

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 10 2006, 05:49 AM)

Ok, it is hippie noodling, but REALLY well done hippie noodling, and when they weren't playing endless jammy songs in concert, they made some incredible beloved songs like Ripple, Casey Jones, Truckin', Sugar Magnolia, Scarlet Beognias and Uncle John's Band.  Then of course there's Dark Star, Cosmic Charlie, St. Stephen, Eyes of the World, Touch of Grey, China Cat Sunflower and dozens more great, great songs.

I guess you either get them or you don't, but I had to be subjected to their music quite a bit before I finally GOT it.  Incredible musicianship and really meaningful lyrics.  Phish could only dream of having the lyrical depth the Dead had to go along with their amazing jamming...

I've seen Phish live twice...amazing. I had chances to see The Dead but that was after Jerry passed so I didn't go.

Phish's lyrics are just silly at times and they know it and embrace it.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 9 2006, 07:52 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 10 2006, 05:49 AM)

Ok, it is hippie noodling, but REALLY well done hippie noodling, and when they weren't playing endless jammy songs in concert, they made some incredible beloved songs like Ripple, Casey Jones, Truckin', Sugar Magnolia, Scarlet Beognias and Uncle John's Band.  Then of course there's Dark Star, Cosmic Charlie, St. Stephen, Eyes of the World, Touch of Grey, China Cat Sunflower and dozens more great, great songs.

I guess you either get them or you don't, but I had to be subjected to their music quite a bit before I finally GOT it.  Incredible musicianship and really meaningful lyrics.  Phish could only dream of having the lyrical depth the Dead had to go along with their amazing jamming...

I've seen Phish live twice...amazing. I had chances to see The Dead but that was after Jerry passed so I didn't go.

Phish's lyrics are just silly at times and they know it and embrace it.

Yeah, I think it's the one thing that held Phish back from world domination (not like they wanted it, and besides, they were popular enough) was their lyrics. Don't get me wrong, their lyrics were fun, very fun, but really too fun. After awhile you want a song with some meaning, and their lyrics were just fun and silly. Musically they could jam and rock out with the very best, their jams often equaling and sometimes suprassing the Dead even, but without the lyrical depth, they were always playing second fiddle to me.

Creed.

Yeah, they wrote a few terrible ballads that are the spawn of hell, but if you ignore those, what's left is actually damn good. Yes, I know that Stapp was/is a dick. Still, great guitar, an overall great sound, great vocals, good variety - especially in that first CD. I still listen to these guys all the time.

QUOTE (Wandering Hermit @ Jun 10 2006, 08:06 AM)
Creed.

Yeah, they wrote a few terrible ballads that are the spawn of hell, but if you ignore those, what's left is actually damn good. Yes, I know that Stapp was/is a dick. Still, great guitar, an overall great sound, great vocals, good variety - especially in that first CD. I still listen to these guys all the time.

I'm sorry, but 062802puke_prv.gif

Creed is the last band I thought would turn up in this thread.

QUOTE (Rush Didact @ Jun 10 2006, 09:36 AM)
QUOTE (Wandering Hermit @ Jun 10 2006, 08:06 AM)
Creed.

I'm sorry, but 062802puke_prv.gif

Creed is the last band I thought would turn up in this thread.

I knew this would not be popular. Oh well. I still like them 100x more than Pearl Jam, who they allegedly rip off.

QUOTE (Rush Didact @ Jun 9 2006, 04:21 PM)
Platinum Blonde, 80's Canadian synthpop that's actually very good. (And they have a kickass solo from Mr. Lifeson in Crying Over You.) But as soon as you mention pop and 80's in the same sentence, people run screaming.

they're pretty awesome, but then again, i fully admit to being a synthpop whore. along those same lines, camouflage, another canadian synthpop band, gets no recognition or respect, and they're still putting out great music. their latest album is impressively good.

disrespected bands (@trf & cp) that i love:

springsteen wub.gif

disrespected bands (in the general music world) that i love:

they might be giants - they're often passed off as a joke, but they are truly talented, creative, innovative musicians that put out music that sounds like no one else

30 seconds to mars - i've heard so many reviewers dismiss them simply because it's fronted by jared leto, as if that automatically makes them suck. they're really talented, and deserve more recognition as a legitimate band

rush (natch)

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ Jun 10 2006, 03:24 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Didact @ Jun 9 2006, 04:21 PM)
Platinum Blonde, 80's Canadian synthpop that's actually very good.  (And they have a kickass solo from Mr. Lifeson in Crying Over You.)  But as soon as you mention pop and 80's in the same sentence, people run screaming.

they're pretty awesome, but then again, i fully admit to being a synthpop whore. along those same lines, camouflage, another canadian synthpop band, gets no recognition or respect, and they're still putting out great music. their latest album is impressively good.

disrespected bands (@trf & cp) that i love:

springsteen wub.gif

disrespected bands (in the general music world) that i love:

they might be giants - they're often passed off as a joke, but they are truly talented, creative, innovative musicians that put out music that sounds like no one else

30 seconds to mars - i've heard so many reviewers dismiss them simply because it's fronted by jared leto, as if that automatically makes them suck. they're really talented, and deserve more recognition as a legitimate band

rush (natch)

Aren't Camouflage British?

Archived