Disrespected bands that you love

Slime

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 10 2006, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ Jun 10 2006, 03:24 PM)
camouflage, another canadian synthpop band, gets no recognition or respect, and they're still putting out great music.  their latest album is impressively good.

Aren't Camouflage British?

ok, just looked it up. we're both wrong joker.gif they're german

and they're going to have a new album out in august. woo! biggrin.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ Jun 10 2006, 03:35 PM)
camouflage, another canadian synthpop band, gets no recognition or respect, and they're still putting out great music.  their latest album is impressively good.

Wow didn't know that - they sing with one hell of a british accent though!

Awesome! That's one album I'll be buying this summer!

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 10 2006, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ Jun 10 2006, 03:35 PM)

Wow didn't know that - they sing with one hell of a british accent though!

Awesome! That's one album I'll be buying this summer!

heh, totally. i assumed the accent was put on, though, simply because it is so strong

I'll add another one to this list, Edie Brickell. The only reason 99% of people know her is because of What I Am, (which is a great song) but the rest of her first album is great stuff. Her backing band, the New Bohemians, are a bunch of extremely talented people. I'm listening to it right now, actually.

Off Kilter - Etched in Stone

No one knows who they are..... laugh.gif

Blue Oyster Cult (Listen to their song "Godzilla", and tell me their not awesome!)

Cocteau Twins

Tangerine Dream

The Dream Academy

Stars

The Ocean Blue

QUOTE (Taril @ Jun 10 2006, 10:50 PM)
Cocteau Twins

Blue Oyster Cult (Listen to their song "Godzilla", and tell me their not awesome!)

Tangerine Dream
The Dream Academy
Stars
The Ocean Blue

As directed.

They arent awesome smile.gif

They are one of the priviledged, I think, to have been opened by Rush, then to open FOR Rush. I forget what tour that was, Power Windiws perhaps (too lazy to look).

Circa Survive -- maybe not disrespected, just not well known

Radiohead -- Everyone says their too overrated, but I kinda like them

Rush -- In particular Caress of Steel and Hold Your Fire (funny...those are like ,everyone else's least favorite Rush albums)

QUOTE (Wandering Hermit @ Jun 9 2006, 02:32 PM)
Green Day.

Sure, they are popular, but...

Plenty of "serious" critics simply write them off as pop darlings. (After all, we cannot be highbrow and still like Green Day, can we? It's music for 12-year-old-boys, right?) In fact, I did just that myself for years. Then I listened to all their albums and realized just how creative and talented they are. American Idiot flows together better than 99% of other rock albums. As far as I am concerned, it's the Sgt Peppers of the 2000's.

Green Day should come with disclaimer "MAY CAUSE DROWSINESS!" just because those a**wipes at Rolling Stone and Spin say they are God's greatest gifts doesn't mean they are.

Greatest bands hated by critics:

Rush

Pink Floyd(Rolling Stone panned all but two albums and they were detested by the American media so bad that they refused interviews with the press)

ELP

Genesis

Yes

Led Zeppelin

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 10 2006, 08:55 PM)
the cocteau twins

one of the very few post-70's bands i love - great britpop music with unearthly ethereal vocals. never got the respect they deserved. no.gif

I thought this was a 'disrespected bands' thread? The music press have had their noses stuck up the Cocteau's arse since 1982.

QUOTE (Taril @ Jun 10 2006, 07:50 PM)

Cocteau Twins
Tangerine Dream
The Dream Academy
Stars
The Ocean Blue

Hey, I'm amazed that someone else mentioned the Cocteau Twins too - COOL! cool.gif

I also heartily agree with Tangerine Dream. That group made a LOT of great albums and they've always been dissed by people.

QUOTE (Ernest Scribbler @ Jun 11 2006, 12:16 AM)
the cocteau twins

one of the very few post-70's bands i love - great britpop music with unearthly ethereal vocals.  never got the respect they deserved. no.gif

I thought this was a 'disrespected bands' thread? The music press have had their noses stuck up the Cocteau's arse since 1982.

Disrespected by the music press isn't the same thing as disrespected by the music buying public. I'm just saying they've never got the attention they deserve, not even close. Good reviews don't change that.

Nick Drake got heaps of critical praise when he made his 3 albums, but it didn't make them sell well or get him huge popularity when he was alive. He's more popular now then he was in the late 60's and early 70's when he was producing material.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Jun 10 2006, 9:48 PM)

Greatest bands hated by critics:
Rush
Pink Floyd(Rolling Stone panned all but two albums and they were detested by the American media so bad that they refused interviews with the press)
ELP
Genesis
Yes
Led Zeppelin

In the same vein, I can't agree with most of this list above. Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd disrespected bands???

Sure they might have gotten some lousy reviews, but this is like calling The Beatles and The Rolling Stones disrespected bands. When you reach the very top and stay there for years, does it matter if critics don't like you?

Rush I can understand because they were perhaps within shouting distance of the top, but got disrespected often by both critics and the general public. Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin on the other hand had praise heaped upon them, if not by critics, then by fans who bought millions and millions and millions of albums and sold out tours.

QUOTE (Ernest Scribbler @ Jun 11 2006, 04:16 AM)
the cocteau twins

one of the very few post-70's bands i love - great britpop music with unearthly ethereal vocals.  never got the respect they deserved. no.gif

You are right about the Press, Ive not read any offical reviews of their music myself, but as far as I know the critiques were very kind to them.

But the general public basically ignored them, and the most people that do seem to know about them (Cocteau Twins) think their a crazy newage band that makes music for fruitcakes. Thats seems to be the general idea from most people.

QUOTE (Wandering Hermit @ Jun 10 2006, 09:39 AM)
QUOTE (Rush Didact @ Jun 10 2006, 09:36 AM)
QUOTE (Wandering Hermit @ Jun 10 2006, 08:06 AM)
Creed.

Yeah, they wrote a few terrible ballads that are the spawn of hell, but if you ignore those, what's left is actually damn good. Yes, I know that Stapp was/is a dick. Still, great guitar, an overall great sound, great vocals, good variety - especially in that first CD. I still listen to these guys all the time.

I'm sorry, but 062802puke_prv.gif

Creed is the last band I thought would turn up in this thread.

I knew this would not be popular. Oh well. I still like them 100x more than Pearl Jam, who they allegedly rip off.

I'd take Creed over Pearl Jam. (But are they really 'disrespected'?)

I also like the Cocteau Twins, but again, are they 'disrespected'?

Rush and Yes are probably my two favorite bands, and they both get trashed - Yes for being "pretentious," and Rush for having "high-piercing vocals, Randian inspiration, and Sci-Fi lyrics." Sounds to me like critics haven't heard anything new by either artist in thirty years.

I am very much into the hippy scene of today that gets disrespected and thrown off as people trying to hang on to a dead cause. Let's see how long this list gets (I'll start with the more well-known ones, and then move into obscurity)-

Phish

Dave Matthews Band

Gov't Mule

Widespread Panic

Bela Fleck & The Flecktones (best banjo... ever)

String Cheese Incident

G. Love & Special Sauce

Yonder Mountain String Band

Robert Randolph & the Family Band

Animal Liberation Orchestra

Slightly Stoopid

Tea Leaf Green

Umphrey's McGee

Soulive

Yerba Buena

Drive-By Truckers

Galactic

Mike Doughty

Soul Coughing

North Mississippi Allstars

I think that's enough

QUOTE (thestand @ Jun 11 2006, 11:31 PM)
I am very much into the hippy scene of today that gets disrespected and thrown off as people trying to hang on to a dead cause. Let's see how long this list gets (I'll start with the more well-known ones, and then move into obscurity)-

Phish
Dave Matthews Band
Gov't Mule
Widespread Panic
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones (best banjo... ever)
String Cheese Incident
G. Love & Special Sauce
Yonder Mountain String Band
Robert Randolph & the Family Band
Animal Liberation Orchestra
Slightly Stoopid
Tea Leaf Green
Umphrey's McGee
Soulive
Yerba Buena
Drive-By Truckers
Galactic
Mike Doughty
Soul Coughing
North Mississippi Allstars

I think that's enough

I don't know some of those bands but of the ones I do know I either like or love them. Check out a band called EKOOSTIK HOOKAH. I think you'd like them.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 11 2006, 06:22 AM)
I also like the Cocteau Twins, but again, are they 'disrespected'?

Years ago I was a very active member of the official (and only) Cocteau Twins online forum, and this was before they broke up. The site was tiny compared to the Rush ones, and all I can say from hanging out there is that they never got anything close to the acclaim they deserved. Even at their height, they were playing clubs and very small halls. They might have gotten some critical attention, but it did NOT translate into big album sales or mass public awareness or support of any kind. They did ok, and they certainly had a lot more popularity in Britian than the States, but they never got what they deserved by a very long shot.

Orchestrial Manouvres in the Dark (OMD).

They had quite a few hits, but always lived in the shadow of bands like Depeche Mode, The Cure, New Order.

I have most of their albums. Just heard Enola Gay on the radio - what and awesome tune!

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ Jun 11 2006, 12:28 PM)
QUOTE (thestand @ Jun 11 2006, 10:31 AM)
Mike Doughty
Soul Coughing

obscurity?

*blink*

i had no clue they were obscure smile.gif

i would agree that the cocteau twins got a lot of respect from the music community, even if that never corresponded to sales.

tongue.gif Well, there was kind of a point where I went into non-international bands, and I remembered him/them at the end, so I tagged it on there. Whoops.

(And to tell the truth, I forgot I said that thing about the obscure ones being at the end doh.gif )

QUOTE (thestand @ Jun 11 2006, 08:55 AM)
Mike Doughty
Soul Coughing

obscurity?

*blink*

i would agree that the cocteau twins got a lot of respect from the music community, even if that never corresponded to sales.

tongue.gif Well, there was kind of a point where I went into non-international bands, and I remembered him/them at the end, so I tagged it on there. Whoops.

(And to tell the truth, I forgot I said that thing about the obscure ones being at the end doh.gif )

hell, they're obscure to me. i've never heard of Mike Doughty, and name Soul Coughing rings only the very vaguest bell. they sound obscure to me, but as i said in another thread, maybe i'm f*cked in the head. wink.gif

QUOTE (thestand @ Jun 11 2006, 12:55 PM)
Mike Doughty
Soul Coughing

obscurity?

*blink*

joker.gif ok, just wasn't sure since they got a whole ton of airplay back in the 90's. i always liked sc, and doughty's solo album is pretty good. he's got a song on tmbg's mink car album that's pretty damn awesome

Archived