Much loved bands that you don't like

Slime

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 9 2006, 11:35 AM)
QUOTE (Rush Didact @ Jun 8 2006, 08:16 PM)
I'm infamous on this board and CP for not liking the Beatles.  I happen to think they've extremely overrated, and while they WERE influential, they're just not all that good.  They were just lucky enough to be the first.  There were many, many others who came later that did it a million times better.

This is great. Ok, what bands did it "a million times better?" Let me guess, Nine Inch Nails? laugh.gif

Seriously, I would like to know.

Oh yeah, add Nine Inch Nails to my list.

U2 & REM I think were only as popular as they were because (despite a handful of good songs each) honestly, what else was there to listen to in the 80's and 90's? confused13.gif

Nope! Hate NIN too! I don't want to hear any more of Trent Reznor's self-absorbed whinyass music.

As a suitable replacement in a similar mood to NIN, I would offer the Smashing Pumpkins. A lot of people hate Billy Corgan's voice, (I happen to like it,) but musically the band is brilliant.

And as for a better band than the Beatles, how about one with a half-decent drummer? Take your pick.

QUOTE (Rush Didact @ Jun 9 2006, 11:52 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 9 2006, 11:35 AM)
QUOTE (Rush Didact @ Jun 8 2006, 08:16 PM)
I'm infamous on this board and CP for not liking the Beatles.  I happen to think they've extremely overrated, and while they WERE influential, they're just not all that good.  They were just lucky enough to be the first.  There were many, many others who came later that did it a million times better.

This is great. Ok, what bands did it "a million times better?" Let me guess, Nine Inch Nails? laugh.gif

Seriously, I would like to know.

Oh yeah, add Nine Inch Nails to my list.

U2 & REM I think were only as popular as they were because (despite a handful of good songs each) honestly, what else was there to listen to in the 80's and 90's? confused13.gif

Nope! Hate NIN too! I don't want to hear any more of Trent Reznor's self-absorbed whinyass music.

As a suitable replacement in a similar mood to NIN, I would offer the Smashing Pumpkins. A lot of people hate Billy Corgan's voice, (I happen to like it,) but musically the band is brilliant.

And as for a better band than the Beatles, how about one with a half-decent drummer? Take your pick.

Ringo Starr was obviously no Neil Peart, but that didn't stop them from making several years of groundbreaking music such as the world has never seen before.

There were many, many others who came later that did it a million times better.

So what are some of the many, many others who came later that did it a million times better? I didn't get if Smashing Pumpkins was answering that part or not. I'd really still like to know...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 9 2006, 03:52 PM)

So what are some of the many, many others who came later that did it a million times better? I didn't get if Smashing Pumpkins was answering that part or not. I'd really still like to know...

Just to piss off Mr. Scribbler, I'd offer The Police. A FAR better band all round, featuring one of the world's best drummers in Stewart Copeland. They were capable of writing incredibly catchy pop, but also very innovative experimenters, delving into various genres. Sound like someone else you know?

QUOTE (Rush Didact @ Jun 9 2006, 01:18 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 9 2006, 03:52 PM)

Just to piss off Mr. Scribbler, I'd offer The Police. A FAR better band all round, featuring one of the world's best drummers in Stewart Copeland. They were capable of writing incredibly catchy pop, but also very innovative experimenters, delving into various genres. Sound like someone else you know?

I'm still interested in more of the "many, many" bands, but I guess that will have to do.

My wife has the best of the Police and it's decent. Not really my thing per se, but I can see what people like about them. A lot of great pop tunes and they had a lot going for them, but I'd hardly put them up there with The Beatles in terms of quality or (not even close on) influence. I heard one of the earlier Police albums all the way through one time, and besides the big hits from the album, I (and my wife who was also listening) really didn't care for most of the other tracks.

Anyway...

Give it up, Goob. You're not gonna convince him to suddenly like the Beatles!

Besides, the guy has probably already gotten enough flack over at CP.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 9 2006, 01:35 PM)
Give it up, Goob. You're not gonna convince him to suddenly like the Beatles!
Besides, the guy has probably already gotten enough flack over at CP.

Oh hey, I wasn't trying to convince him to like the Beatles as I realize it's usually futile to try to convince anyone of almost anything. I was just curious what bands he was gonna come up with to substantiate "many, many others who came later that did it a million times better", as that seemed like a pretty grand statement to say when talking about The Beatles of all groups.

I'll let it go. Really, nothing personal in any way Rush Didact. You're totally free to not like The Beatles, I've met several people who don't like them. I just wanted to know what groups you were gonna come up with...

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Jun 9 2006, 04:59 PM)
Bon Jovi 062802puke_prv.gif

OH MY GED! That's another one that'll have me changing the radio dial.

And add Tom Petty, ZZTop, John Mellencamp, and especially George Thorogood to my earlier list.

Fleetwood Mac too. They were okay, but they bore me.

Pavement comes to mind for me as well. Indie kids who read Pitchfork religiously tend to view Slanted and Enchanted as the Sgt. Pepper's/Dark Side of the Moon of the 90s. To me, it sounds like they got together in a room and said "hey, let's record these semi-adequate pop songs and make them sound like half-finished demos so people know we're truly authentic."

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 9 2006, 10:30 PM)
Pavement comes to mind for me as well. Indie kids who read Pitchfork religiously tend to view Slanted and Enchanted as the Sgt. Pepper's/Dark Side of the Moon of the 90s. To me, it sounds like they got together in a room and said "hey, let's record these semi-adequate pop songs and make them sound like half-finished demos so people know we're truly authentic."

Pavement were fantastic!!

Slanted and Enchanted, Brooked Rain Crooked Rain, Wowee Zowee, Brighten The Corners(where Geddy is name checked) are excellent. Very inventive, a bit arcane in places admittedly, but never dull.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 9 2006, 02:33 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 9 2006, 10:30 PM)

Pavement were fantastic!!

Slanted and Enchanted, Brooked Rain Crooked Rain, Wowee Zowee, Brighten The Corners(where Geddy is name checked) are excellent. Very inventive, a bit arcane in places admittedly, but never dull.

They do have some mildly catchy songs, but I can't get over the whole "indie-for-the-sake-of-indie" attitude that I get from them.

So much hatred for Bob Dylan. sad.gif

I can understand that his voice isn't for most folks (especially in recent years). But, his wonderful lyrics alone should give him immunity from any DISLIKE LIST. wink.gif

If anyone mentions Bob Marley I might have to blast 'em waffen093.gif

tongue.gif

My list:

Bruce Springsteen

John Cougar/Mellancamp

I can't believe how much hatred is on this board for Springsteen. The Jersey in me wants to come out and say "YEAH? YOU DON'T ****IN LIKE SPRINGSTEEN?!?! WELL **** YOU!!!" But I won't do that... wink.gif

As for me, I hate Guns N' Roses. Every time I hear "Paradise City" come on the radio, which is about twice a day, I shudder and put something else on. A horrendous voice. I hope Chinese Democracy never comes out. Who needs it?

AC/DC is another one. Brian Johnson has a vocal range of one note, and every word sounds like "AAAGGHHH", like someone is choking him. Nothing fancy about Angus' playing. Lyrics are all full of tired, cheap, double-entendres. Best thing about AC/DC is hearing Jim Breuer parody them.

George Thorogood is another waste. Biker bar music that made it on the radio. Songs about drinking, and getting drunk. And being bad to the bone (woooo). Writes all his songs over either 1) a blues form, or 2) a Bo Diddley beat. He drinks alone, with nobody else. Why? Because he sucks!

Enough venting...

QUOTE (Slime @ Jun 8 2006, 11:40 PM)
Which bands out there get respect, love and admiration for their brillance from everybody BUT you? Hate the Stones, Dylan, Eagles or Beatles or some group that is otherwise loved by most?? This is the place to vent it.

I'll start off with the Stones.

*coughOVERPLAYEDSIXSONGSONRADIOcough*

I'm sick and tired of 'em. Too much airplay of too few songs. Maybe they have great albums, but I'll never get them if they have so much as one hit on them.

/vent

Nirvana gets the hatred next. They are the MOST overrated band in the history of the universe. The playing skills are kinda lame and Cobain's lyrics are mostly crap. Somebody compared "Smells like Teen Spirit" to "Satisfaction" as far as song of a generation went. The problem is that, while Satisfaction is clever, sarcastic and done really well, SLTS is just whiny and boring.

More to come as I increase my hate smile.gif

I won't say anything bad but there are many bands that get too much airplay...Stones being one of them.

These are off the top of my head. I'm sure there are tons more. I don't hate any of these bands but I really don't understand their popularity.

U2

AC/DC

Rolling Stones

Radiohead

Bob Dylan

I do hate most of these.

Boy Bands and Pop Bimbos

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 10 2006, 12:58 AM)
QUOTE (Slime @ Jun 8 2006, 11:40 PM)
Which bands out there get respect, love and admiration for their brillance from everybody BUT you? Hate the Stones, Dylan, Eagles or Beatles or some group that is otherwise loved by most?? This is the place to vent it.

I'll start off with the Stones.

*coughOVERPLAYEDSIXSONGSONRADIOcough*

I'm sick and tired of 'em. Too much airplay of too few songs. Maybe they have great albums, but I'll never get them if they have so much as one hit on them.

/vent

Nirvana gets the hatred next. They are the MOST overrated band in the history of the universe. The playing skills are kinda lame and Cobain's lyrics are mostly crap. Somebody compared "Smells like Teen Spirit" to "Satisfaction" as far as song of a generation went. The problem is that, while Satisfaction is clever, sarcastic and done really well, SLTS is just whiny and boring.

More to come as I increase my hate  smile.gif

I won't say anything bad but there are many bands that get too much airplay...Stones being one of them.

And the Stones aren't even the most overplayed band. *cough*Zeppelin*cough*

QUOTE (Milton Banana @ Jun 10 2006, 01:05 AM)
I can't believe how much hatred is on this board for Springsteen. The Jersey in me wants to come out and say "YEAH? YOU DON'T ****IN LIKE SPRINGSTEEN?!?! WELL **** YOU!!!" But I won't do that... wink.gif

laugh.gif i have much love for bruce, though i will admit that i don't listen to much of his post-'84 material. meeting across the river and jungleland are two of the most beautiful songs ever written

Bob Dylan

The Rolling Stones (greatest rock band of all time? c'mon, people...)

Frank Zappa

AC/DC (they're just okay for me)

Aerosmith (see above)

Metallica

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Twisted Sister

Ozzy Osbourne (mostly because he's a psycho)

Guns 'N' Roses

Green Day

Nirvana

Dream Theater

Foreigner

The Mars Volta (they try too hard to be weird, but the music is okay sometimes)

Prince

Yes (not the greatest prog outfit evar!!!11 that they are claimed to be)

Archived