Much loved bands that you don't like

Slime

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am glad no one hates Pink Floyd but many hate the post-Waters PF(I love all eras)! If anyone hated Pink Floyd that would be blasphemy!

I detest these assholes listed here:

Bon Jovi(Bon Blow Me)

Nirvana(NERDVANA)

Pearl Jam(HURL HAM)

Green Day(Purple Morning)

Aerosmith(or Aerosupply)

Cinderella

Poison

hair metal

pop poseur punks

all teen sluts and boy band freaks

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jun 10 2006, 04:02 PM)
Bob Dylan
The Rolling Stones (greatest rock band of all time? c'mon, people...)
Frank Zappa
AC/DC (they're just okay for me)
Aerosmith (see above)
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Twisted Sister
Ozzy Osbourne (mostly because he's a psycho)
Guns 'N' Roses
Green Day
Nirvana
Dream Theater
Foreigner
The Mars Volta (they try too hard to be weird, but the music is okay sometimes)
Prince
Yes (not the greatest prog outfit evar!!!11 that they are claimed to be)

Iron Maiden and Judas Priest rock except when Bruce Dickinson was gone from Maiden from 1994 to 1999 and Halford was gone from Priest from 1992 to 2003. Motorhead kick ass.

I forgot to add, I DETEST Duran Duran, the 80s Backstreet Boys named after a villian in a Hanoi Jane Fonda flick Barberella

Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, John Mellencamp, Bon Jovi.

Don't know how "respected" they are, but I also can't stand George Thorogood or Ted Nugent.

All the above bands are certain "channel changers" for me.

How could I have forgotten ACDC?

I've never liked them, and always wondered what the big deal was. Angus has very little talent - certainly not a "guitar god." The lyrics are always stupid, the music is usually three chords, and every song sounds alike to me.

The only Angus guitarwork that ever impressed me was the beginning of "Thunder Struck," just because it sounds like cool two-handed tapping.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 11 2006, 11:51 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 11 2006, 11:33 AM)
Don't we already have this thread right here? :

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=15825

Can this be incorporated into the already existing thread that is still active and has tons more posts? confused13.gif

ummmmmm this is that thread!!! laugh.gif

I thought so too... fing.gif

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Jun 11 2006, 02:06 AM)
I forgot to add, I DETEST Duran Duran, the 80s Backstreet Boys named after a villian in a Hanoi Jane Fonda flick Barberella

1. they wrote their own songs, and played their own instruments, so your "comparison" is far from even close to apt

2. duran duran is neither much loved, nor respected in the music community

oh, and i saw priest last summer with ryche. it was patheticly sad, and rob halford looked like he should be out there with a walker.

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ Jun 11 2006, 04:21 PM)

1. they wrote their own songs, and played their own instruments, so your "comparison" is far from even close to apt

oh, and i saw priest last summer with ryche. it was patheticly sad, and rob halford looked like he should be out there with a walker.

Always had a soft spot for Duran Duran, great singles. Saw them in Dublin 2 years ago at their re-union tour. Great show!!

Backstreet Boys comparisons are well off the mark, but whaddya do?

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 11 2006, 07:52 AM)

Can this be incorporated into the already existing thread that is still active and has tons more posts? confused13.gif

it was a separate thread before it got moved back in here. i assume you know that barney, since you started it! unsure.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 11 2006, 01:23 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 11 2006, 07:52 AM)

it was a separate thread before it got moved back in here. i assume you know that barney, since you started it! unsure.gif

Eh? I don't recall sad.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 11 2006, 09:15 AM)

Always had a soft spot for Duran Duran, great singles. Saw them in Dublin 2 years ago at their re-union tour. Great show!!

in the early 80's duran duran were like poison (not the group) to metal heads. i was into heavy metal, and i remember all these silly girls swooning over duran duran. sorry, but i thought they were kind of pathetic. some catchy songs, but mostly just pop for the swooning young teen girl masses. in that respect, i don't think the backstreet boys comparison is too far off.

*ducks*

ph34r.gif

people keep referring to george thoroughgood as a much loved person that people don't like.

ok, maybe i'm like f*cked in the head here or something, but since when was this guy well loved? he did bad to the bone, right? what the hell else did he do? and wasn't that song like 20 years ago or something? confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 11 2006, 01:26 PM)

in the early 80's duran duran were like poison (not the group) to metal heads. i was into heavy metal, and i remember all these silly girls swooning over duran duran. sorry, but i thought they were kind of pathetic. some catchy songs, but mostly just pop for the swooning young teen girl masses. in that respect, i don't think the backstreet boys comparison is too far off.

*ducks*

ph34r.gif

oy. does nobody read around here?

1.  they wrote their own songs, and played their own instruments, so your "comparison" is far from even close to apt

they were not manufactured by some producer

they were not brought together by an outside guy who was going for looks over talent

they did not have songs written for them

they did not have outside musicians play the instruments

they did not audition for the band in front of some producer who was trying to put together 5 random guys

the comparison is flat out wrong. whether you "think" it is or not doesn't change that dd wasn't a manufactured boy band that got handed songs to them, because they formed on their own, played their own instruments, wrote their own songs, and were real musicians. just because they make pop and get lots of ass, doesn't make them a "boy band."

and john taylor's still a damn good bass player, regardless of what you think of their style.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 11 2006, 12:28 PM)
people keep referring to george thoroughgood as a much loved person that people don't like.

ok, maybe i'm like f*cked in the head here or something, but since when was this guy well loved? he did bad to the bone, right? what the hell else did he do? and wasn't that song like 20 years ago or something? confused13.gif

Okay, so maybe he wasn't all that respected to begin with. But I had to throw him in, because I can't stand him! Nothing will get me to change the radio station faster. I mean that.

And he had more songs than you probably think at first. I'm sure you know these as well:

I Drink Alone

One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer

Move It On Over

Who Do You Love?

... and of course, Bad to the Bone.

I agree with Barney and FWYS on the Duran Duran thing; they're better than most give them credit for. I also agree about John Taylor being a great bassist.

And now that the 80s are long over, we can actually look back at their old pop songs and see that they were well-crafted tunes. Pop music, granted, but still good songs.

I'll add yet another voice for the "so what?" opinion of Aerosmith. It keeps me from buying their compilations, because I'm sure that I'd tire of even the few songs of theirs I like.

I'll also put a pin to the balloon of the Beach Boys. I may be horribly ignorant of their music, but did they ALWAYS write such fluff as ends up in their hits collections? Even the Beatles hits collections have some serious tunes. Wilson was right to be wary of the Fab Four, simply because they were writing better music.

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ Jun 11 2006, 09:38 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 11 2006, 01:26 PM)

*ducks*

ph34r.gif

oy. does nobody read around here?

1.  they wrote their own songs, and played their own instruments, so your "comparison" is far from even close to apt

they were not manufactured by some producer

they were not brought together by an outside guy who was going for looks over talent

they did not have songs written for them

they did not have outside musicians play the instruments

they did not audition for the band in front of some producer who was trying to put together 5 random guys

the comparison is flat out wrong. whether you "think" it is or not doesn't change that dd wasn't a manufactured boy band that got handed songs to them, because they formed on their own, played their own instruments, wrote their own songs, and were real musicians. just because they make pop and get lots of ass, doesn't make them a "boy band."

and john taylor's still a damn good bass player, regardless of what you think of their style.

point taken, but i still thought they were teeny bopper crap regardless. sorry.

Archived