Much loved bands that you don't like

Slime

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 9 2006, 02:33 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 9 2006, 10:30 PM)
Pavement comes to mind for me as well. Indie kids who read Pitchfork religiously tend to view Slanted and Enchanted as the Sgt. Pepper's/Dark Side of the Moon of the 90s. To me, it sounds like they got together in a room and said "hey, let's record these semi-adequate pop songs and make them sound like half-finished demos so people know we're truly authentic."

Pavement were fantastic!!

Slanted and Enchanted, Brooked Rain Crooked Rain, Wowee Zowee, Brighten The Corners(where Geddy is name checked) are excellent. Very inventive, a bit arcane in places admittedly, but never dull.

I just gave Slanted and Enchanted another listen, and I actually liked it quite a bit. I must have missed something before, but musically they are a really interesting band, you are right. I guess it's his voice I'm not a fan of just yet, but then that's what I thought about Thom Yorke for the longest time, and he's one of my favorite vocalists ever now. I could see Pavement growing on me.

Also started listening to more REM lately. They're growing on me too. The key, I guess, is to keep an open mind about bands you don't really understand, and they might surprise you.

Don't count on me getting into DT though. I'm just really not in much of a prog or metal phase of late.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um I want to comment on the post a page back, and say that anyone who considers George Harrison "one of the greatest guitarists ever" is a little closeminded in their musical knowledge.

I can't understand how everyone loves the Beatles, they sound the same as every other band in the 60s. For years i thought the Beatles did Mrs. Robinson by Simon and Garfunkel.

Sure The beatles, Stones, and Bob Dylan influenced people, but that doesn't make them great. Marilyn Manson influences people too, but i wouldnt say he is a great musician. As far as talent goes, you can't say that the beatles and the stones are at the summit of musical skills, because that would be so incredibly inaccurate.

QUOTE (Sabs89 @ Jun 13 2006, 07:01 AM)
Um I want to comment on the post a page back, and say that anyone who considers George Harrison "one of the greatest guitarists ever" is a little closeminded in their musical knowledge.

I can't understand how everyone loves the Beatles, they sound the same as every other band in the 60s. For years i thought the Beatles did Mrs. Robinson by Simon and Garfunkel.

Sure The beatles, Stones, and Bob Dylan influenced people, but that doesn't make them great. Marilyn Manson influences people too, but i wouldnt say he is a great musician. As far as talent goes, you can't say that the beatles and the stones are at the summit of musical skills, because that would be so incredibly inaccurate.

Well, there are certainly a bunch of musicians today who can do it better than the Beatles. But could they have come up with it?? You've got to give them a lot of credit for having originated the style of music. (For the same reason, Hendrix is still considered a guitar god, despite the advent of wizards like Eddie and Vai, and Jaco Pastorius is still called "the world's greatest bass player," although we have amazing technical players like Billy Sheehan and Victor Wooten.)

Another example of what I'm talking about: I hate the blues, but I've gotta give props to the original blues musicians - because without them, the music that I DO love (rock) wouldn't exist.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 13 2006, 04:19 AM)

Well, there are certainly a bunch of musicians today who can do it better than the Beatles. But could they have come up with it?? You've got to give them a lot of credit for having originated the style of music. (For the same reason, Hendrix is still considered a guitar god, despite the advent of wizards like Eddie and Vai, and Jaco Pastorius is still called "the world's greatest bass player," although we have amazing technical players like Billy Sheehan and Victor Wooten.)

Another example of what I'm talking about: I hate the blues, but I've gotta give props to the original blues musicians - because without them, the music that I DO love (rock) wouldn't exist.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Sabs89 @ Jun 13 2006, 04:01 AM)

I love the Beatles and I don't think of George Harrison as one of the very best guitarists ever. Yes, he was great and had a very unique, distinguishable style, but if you're talking virtuosity, then yeah, any number of jazz or progressive musicians could play circles around The Beatles.

That doesn't lessen their impact. Sometimes it's not musical virtuosity, but what you can do with what you have. Some of the greatest musicians in the world make the most boring, showy, self-indulgent mastrubatory crap the world has ever known. Just because you can play everything Hendrix ever did note for note, doesn't mean that you can come up with all that yourself out of thin air. Not even close.

The Beatles were innovators. They did things no one had done before and completely, inexorably revolutionized rock music forever. They've influenced pretty much everyone that's come after them whether they realize it or not. They just had that intangible something that was magical. Sure not everyone got it, but so many have. There's a reason why they were the biggest rock group of all time, and NO one has come along in 35 years to take that title away. Maybe people will sell more albums today (there are also a lot more people now then there were then), but who could come close to their astounding influence? The closest anyone has come has got to be Zeppelin, and still they weren't the spectacular cultural and musical phenomena that The Beatles were.

If you don't love 60's music, then maybe you never developed the ear to distinguish, but as a great lover of 60's music, I gotta tell you that The Beatles don't sound anything like Simon & Garfunkel. Both great, but on completely different wavelengths.

In the end it's all subjective. Perhaps Marilyn Manson is incredibly influential, but that would never make him great in my eyes. Somebody playing high-voltage crap and influencing a generation of crap isn't really something I have a great deal of admiration for. Ok, I'm being unfair. I've heard some Marilyn Manson and I think it's very well done for what it is, it's just not something I particularly dig. In the same way you could care less about The Beatles, The Stones and Dylan and their influence, but they influenced everything that came later, including Marilyn Manson in some way. Not appreciating them does not change their enormous contribution and influence.

This is true. Not liking the Beatles or Dylan is cool, that's just a matter of personal taste. But belittling them for not being total virtuoso instrumentalists is kind of beside the point, just as criticising Rush for not having catchy pop hooks would be.

Seriously, EVERYONE who makes popular music who has come along in the last 40 years has been influenced, either directly or indirectly, by the Beatles. Dislike them if you want, but don't try to deny that.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 13 2006, 05:40 AM)
Pavement comes to mind for me as well. Indie kids who read Pitchfork religiously tend to view Slanted and Enchanted as the Sgt. Pepper's/Dark Side of the Moon of the 90s. To me, it sounds like they got together in a room and said "hey, let's record these semi-adequate pop songs and make them sound like half-finished demos so people know we're truly authentic."

Slanted and Enchanted, Brooked Rain Crooked Rain, Wowee Zowee, Brighten The Corners(where Geddy is name checked) are excellent. Very inventive, a bit arcane in places admittedly, but never dull.

I just gave Slanted and Enchanted another listen, and I actually liked it quite a bit. I must have missed something before, but musically they are a really interesting band, you are right. I guess it's his voice I'm not a fan of just yet, but then that's what I thought about Thom Yorke for the longest time, and he's one of my favorite vocalists ever now. I could see Pavement growing on me.

Also started listening to more REM lately. They're growing on me too. The key, I guess, is to keep an open mind about bands you don't really understand, and they might surprise you.

Don't count on me getting into DT though. I'm just really not in much of a prog or metal phase of late.

Yeah, Malkmus' voice is an acquired taste. That kind of "I don't give a sh*t" whine, but when he tries, like on "Here" it's pretty special.

Glad you gave it a 2nd chance. With you on the DT thing. Tried it and ran. Still running in fact. Someday oneday, maybe.........

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 13 2006, 10:58 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 13 2006, 04:19 AM)

goodpost.gif

goodpost.gif + 1

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 14 2006, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 13 2006, 05:40 AM)

Yeah, Malkmus' voice is an acquired taste. That kind of "I don't give a sh*t" whine, but when he tries, like on "Here" it's pretty special.

Glad you gave it a 2nd chance. With you on the DT thing. Tried it and ran. Still running in fact. Someday oneday, maybe.........

And just today, I picked up the 10th anniversary issue of S&E. I haven't listened to any of the bonus material yet, but to be honest, I think this is the greatest deluxe reussie/repackaging thing I've ever seen. 2 discs. 48 tracks, tons of Peel sessions, demos, the Watery Domestic EP, and a full live show. And it was only $19, plus the packaging and booklet are really nice. Will probably pick up the Crooked Rain Crooked Rain one at some point.

The Who.

I hate them. All noise and nothing else.

Well, they've all been mentioned...

But for me, at the top of the list is The Who. I just can't get through a minute of listening to them. I will never question or denounce their contribution to music, ok? That being said, I'd much rather listen to the bands whom have benefited from this contribution... and actually sound good.

QUOTE (plodder @ Jun 16 2006, 09:41 AM)
The Who.

I hate them. All noise and nothing else.

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

As soon as I posted, I scrolled up a bit and saw yours. 653.gif

Better than The Who that's for sure.

QUOTE (Planet X-1 @ Jun 16 2006, 08:33 AM)
Eric Clapton - Can`t pinpoint it, but his music is boring and overplayed on the radio.

I did see him in concert with Mark Knopfler, really good show but it didn`t inspire me to buy any of his music.

I really love Clapton with Cream and Blind Faith. I've only heard Layla by Derek and the Dominoes, and that's great too.

All his solo stuff leaves me cold though...

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 13 2006, 01:40 AM)
The key, I guess, is to keep an open mind about bands you don't really understand, and they might surprise you.

Well said.

Thats entirely right, its a self-fulfilling prophecy otherwise.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Jun 16 2006, 07:37 PM)
The key, I guess, is to keep an open mind about bands you don't really understand, and they might surprise you.

Well said.

That's true. But you have to have an "in". Something of the music has to grab you.

QUOTE (plodder @ Jun 16 2006, 11:56 AM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Jun 16 2006, 07:37 PM)

Well said.

That's true. But you have to have an "in". Something of the music has to grab you.

Yeah exactly. Just listening to something a lot you didn't like isn't going to do it, you have to see something in it that makes you want to hear more. REM, Pavement, and some early U2 I'm starting to like because I'm starting to listen more closely to them...DT, Grateful Dead, Springsteen etc. tried, didn't like, really not my thing.

Archived