Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I think this new album is on the level of Images and Words. Yes, i believe is that good. Illumination Theory is my new favorite Dream Theater song, and for the guy who says this album is more commercial than than usual: good joke buddy. Try putting any of those songs in the radio right now.

You still picking your feet in Poughkeepsie?

What is Poughkeepsie?

There's a French connection...

It's a place in upstate New York that obviously means something to the character Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle as portrayed by screen legend Eugene Allen "Gene" Hackman, the hardest man ever in Hollywood, in the 1971 police thriller The French Connection. we never really find out just who the feet picker was either.

:hail:

I'm pretty sure that the "foot-picker in Poughkeepsie" is someone who takes it up the shitter in jail.

Yeah? You mean it's some kind of slang for a "punk"? None of the people he accuses of this in the film seem to realise it then, they just look confused.

I think this new album is on the level of Images and Words. Yes, i believe is that good. Illumination Theory is my new favorite Dream Theater song, and for the guy who says this album is more commercial than than usual: good joke buddy. Try putting any of those songs in the radio right now.

What is Poughkeepsie?

It's a place in upstate New York that obviously means something to the character Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle as portrayed by screen legend Eugene Allen "Gene" Hackman, the hardest man ever in Hollywood, in the 1971 police thriller The French Connection. we never really find out just who the feet picker was either.

I'm pretty sure that the "foot-picker in Poughkeepsie" is someone who takes it up the shitter in jail.

Yeah? You mean it's some kind of slang for a "punk"? None of the people he accuses of this in the film seem to realise it then, they just look confused.

Poo-keepsie footpickers, the lot of 'em.

What is Poughkeepsie?

Poo-keepsie footpickers, the lot of 'em.

Aye...

:smoke:

This is a blooper reel with JP and JL. Its hilarious watching James keep laughing like he's stoned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qP6pmJdQZ0&feature=youtu.be

On the images and words tour those cats were pretty conservative, just into drinkin beers. Nice to see Labrie GO GREEN in his later years...

That was 21 years ago! They were a bunch of starry eyed kids. Now they are grizzly veterans comfortable in there skin. Its just a natural aging progression. You get older and you lighten up cause you don't give a f**k.

Finally burned the download. This is great, I tired of ADTOE quickly, once the initial ardour wore off, it was a bit of a meh-fest. The new one is a typical DT "kitchen sink" effort. Full of everything, playing, tunes, fretwank and so on. Yup, like this one a lot.

Boxset is in the post. A woo and hoo.

This part here is worth the full album alone for me:

"To really feel the joy in life

You must suffer through the pain

When you surrender to the light

You can face the darkest days

If you open up your eyes

And you put your trust in love

On those cold and endless nights

You will never be alone

Passion glows within your heart

Like a furnace burning bright

Until you struggle through the dark

You’ll never know the joy in life"

I´m listening to it now, and cannot think of a DT song that moved me in such a way since at least Octavarium.

I think it´s actually "Until you struggle through the dark

You’ll never know that you´re alive". Can someone confirm?

Yep, that's the line. I'm listening to the song and reading along with it the lyrics you got here.

Edited by J2112YYZ

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/hefdaddy42/DTF/suddenlyjames_zps512a0c49.gif
  • Like 4

Hello

I'm trying to make the connection with the looking glass song? I have listened about 10 times to that song and am not finding the connection to Rush songs or sound? Is it a specific Rush song or songs or something else, I consider myself a Rush fan and I want to experience the connection too!

Please help me get on board!

Thanks

Wow it really is a great album though, the more you listen to it. I can't wait to pick this up tomorrow.

There's a lot of RUSH influence throughout- some bits remind me of Countdown, Limelight, Hemispheres, Cygnus X-I, even part 2 of the Necromancer in Illumination Theory. I think overall it's a lot better than ADToE was, though Breaking all Illusions and Bridges in the Sky are pretty hard to top as standalone songs.

Hello

I'm trying to make the connection with the looking glass song? I have listened about 10 times to that song and am not finding the connection to Rush songs or sound? Is it a specific Rush song or songs or something else, I consider myself a Rush fan and I want to experience the connection too!

Thanks

It moderately resembles the opening riff of Limelight, but I mean like 2 notes are the same. It didn't really jump out at me at first either until others mentioned it and I went back and listened for it.

It's Petrucci himself who says the track is a "tip of the hat" to Rush.

The Looking Glass

“The song is definitely a tip of the hat to Rush. We’re such fans – they’ve been a huge influence on us, and we continue to admire and look up to them. One of the great things about them is how they write really uplifting songs with positive messages, but they always sound cool.

“It’s really interesting. The Spirit Of Radio, Limelight – those are big, big songs with big arena-rock riffs in a major key. Even Free Will has that. The songs aren’t dark, but they’re tough. It’s really hard to write something that can cut both ways like that, but that was my goal.

“The Looking Glass has a few different stylistic changes: There’s the Rush arena-rock major riff, but the verses are tricky as far as time signatures, and the style is a little darker. The pre-choruses are very pretty and flowing – they're in half-time – and the choruses open up and get really hooky. From verse to pre-chorus to chorus to riff, you’ve got a lot of musical styles, and that helps to keep things interesting.”

http://m.musicradar.com/news/guitars/john-petrucci-talks-dream-theaters-self-titled-new-album-track-by-track-583850/#next

Hello

Thanks

Dude, just listen to that intro, it sounds like something Rush would've written. While I won't say it reminds me specifically of Limelight like other have, the intro just reminds me of Rush in general. It mainly sounds like something that Rush would've recorded on Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures. Musically the whole song sounds like Rush but how you can not hear it right off the bat in the intro is very strange. It's so obvious they're paying tribute to Rush in the song.

Hello

Thanks

Dude, just listen to that intro, it sounds like something Rush would've written. While I won't say it reminds me specifically of Limelight like other have, the intro just reminds me of Rush in general. It mainly sounds like something that Rush would've recorded on Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures. Musically the whole song sounds like Rush but how you can not hear it right off the bat in the intro is very strange. It's so obvious they're paying tribute to Rush in the song.

The Looking Glass

“The song is definitely a tip of the hat to Rush. We’re such fans – they’ve been a huge influence on us, and we continue to admire and look up to them. One of the great things about them is how they write really uplifting songs with positive messages, but they always sound cool.

“It’s really interesting. The Spirit Of Radio, Limelight – those are big, big songs with big arena-rock riffs in a major key. Even Free Will has that. The songs aren’t dark, but they’re tough. It’s really hard to write something that can cut both ways like that, but that was my goal.

“The Looking Glass has a few different stylistic changes: There’s the Rush arena-rock major riff, but the verses are tricky as far as time signatures, and the style is a little darker. The pre-choruses are very pretty and flowing – they're in half-time – and the choruses open up and get really hooky. From verse to pre-chorus to chorus to riff, you’ve got a lot of musical styles, and that helps to keep things interesting.”

http://m.musicradar....ck-583850/#next

It's even more obvious if you read other posts in the thread

:eyeroll:

Hello

Thanks

The Looking Glass

http://m.musicradar....ck-583850/#next

It's even more obvious if you read other posts in the thread

:eyeroll:

I read your post. I just felt like putting in my 2 cents anyways ;)

I think Rodrigo and Del_Duio's assesment and perception is where I fall on the Rush connection to the song, the guitar in the intro has a similar sound and tone to Limelight and a few of the same chords/Notes as Limelight., but outside of that I can't find any other things that remind me of Rush?

Some songs that I have a stronger Rush style connection for me are The Foo Fighters—Bridge Burning, sounds a lot like Headlong Flight in the beginning and in the Sound City Documentary Movie soundtrack there's a song called Trick with no Sleeve that really reminds me of something that would have been off Test for Echo or Counterparts era stuff , like Half the World...

Trick with no Sleeve:

Bridge Burning:

Anyway the new DT sounds great can't wait to see it live, it will be fun to see Mike M on drums!

Thanks for helping me see the connection

Rock On and Enjoy!

^^ Hey, good call on the Trick with no Sleeve, that really does sound like it'd fit on Test for Echo (musically-speaking). ^^

I'm picking up my DT later tonight, and one for my daughter for a surprise because she loves them too.

My Dream Theater movie experience from last night...

It begins when I drag my friend out on a Monday night to go see a concert movie he has little to no interest in but he goes with me anyhow.

We leave by house at 7:05 and travel a couple towns down the road. About a 17 minute drive to the affluent town of Fairfield Connecticut.

We arrive way early at around 7:20 and pull into the multiplex parking lot. Its in the same lot as a BJ's wholesale club. We are driving around and can't find the entrance. We pull out of the lot and drive around to the back of the building where you park in a parking garage.

We pull in to the lot right before 7:30. To our surprise their are like maybe 3 cars in the entire garage. What the hell is this place I think?

We head in to what we think is the lobby. Standing looking around as we enter in the building and their are movie posters on the walls but nothing around. We spot an escalator and hop on to the next floor up to find the theaters. When we get to the next floor we look around and realize their is still nothing going on on this floor. Silent and void of a single soul we see another escalator heading upward. We look at each other like WTF is this place and hop on.

When we get to the third floor we see a long hallway with more posters on the walls. We travel down it to the end where we are met by another long hallway. Could we be getting close? Lets keep going through this bizarre maze.

Finally we see concessions. No people to speak of for this 10 theater multiplex but we see a place to buy tickets. We buy a pair and then struggle down another hallway and then down another to find theater 6. We walk in at 7:40 to a theater the size of a matchbox. It was probably a third of what was once a full size theater. There is a guy maybe 40 with his 10 year year old son in the theater. We have a seat in these hard 70's style seats that are stiff and very uncomfortable. Just the kind of seat you want to sit in for 2 hours and 40 minutes.

So we sit in this bizaro world with 2 other souls waiting an eternity for 8:00 to roll around watching TV commercials on the screen. Finally around 7:55 another couple walks in, and then 2 more couples come in right at 8:00. We are a packed house of 10 sitting in this tiny theater waiting for the movie to start.

The movie starts and I try to push past the weirdness and enjoy the movie. The picture quality is good cause the screen is so small its not hard for the film to translate well on it. The sound quality is strange. Its surround sound and kind of loud enough but the mix is strange. You have Labrie great in the mix the whole time but the levels for the rest of the band are sporadic. Sometimes it sounded awesome and other times not so much. Probably just the theater I guess?

I'm not going to really review individual songs but the setlist is great as your all aware and the crowd is a great one to film in front of.

Back to the movie theater bizarre happenings. Half way in around 9:15 my friend goes to the bathroom. He comes back and shoots me a strange look. I didn't question it at that point. All I can think is what a good friend to endure this whole thing in this setting.

When the film is over when take our very sore stiff bodies out of the rock hard seats and head for the exit. As we enter back into the lobby its completely dark. Not a light on or a soul to be found. I was like, WTF is this? My friend Phil says...yeah, this is what it was like when I went to the bathroom over an hour ago, dark and everything was shut down. No people around at all. It was like a zombie virus movie.

He looks at me and starts laughing his ass off. He says..."Dream Theater huh? How appropriate is that title for where we are. I feel like I'm wandering around in a world from Alice In Wonderland! You owe me big for this one! Its going to take a week for my body to recover!" We are both laughing our asses off as we walk through the dark empty cavernous lobby trying to find our way out. They shut down the escalator (or half of it) and we started walking down it still laughing.

As we make our way out to the empty parking garage we see my lone Mazda sitting alone. I know this story has little to do with Dream Theater, but the whole thing was so surreal I had to share.

In summation, the movie is great but I would have been better served waiting for it on Blu ray instead of a night in bizarro land at the dream theater.

• Like 2