Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 30 2012, 02:25 PM)
Portnoy has said many times JR and JP are the only ones he talks to. JM lives down the street from him and they don't speak , i don't think JLB ever liked Mike, he Had to deal with him

It seems drummers and singers tend to butt heads a lot. I was always at odds with my drummer over various shit.

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 30 2012, 03:51 PM)
Portnoy has said many times JR and JP are the only ones he talks to. JM lives down the street from him and they don't speak , i don't think JLB ever liked Mike, he Had to deal with him

It seems drummers and singers tend to butt heads a lot. I was always at odds with my drummer over various shit.

I always thought you were the drummer and the singer. This makes you a butthead Ticky...

biggrin.gif

That is because Singers have EGO's . Drummers, do not biggrin.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 30 2012, 04:18 PM)

Mike Portnoy, Stewart Copeland, Ginger Baker and Bill Ward say hi!

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 30 2012, 07:01 PM)
I finally listened to When Dream and Day Unite today. It wasn't bad but its pretty middle of the road. LaBrie is a much better fit for the band, imo.

Try and find When Dream and Day Reunite, a llive DVD where they played the full album with LaBrie and Jordan, with Charlie Dominici and derek Sherinian on a few tracks.

absolutely! we are the "modestest" guys around! wink.gif

I've never turned down the chance to help another musician carry equipment even if I'm not playing at the venue that night. Singers usually let everyone else carry the equipment, but I had two singers Aaron and Vinny that both went out of their way to help setup and carry equipment. Thanks, guys! bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jul 31 2012, 07:47 AM)

I've never turned down the chance to help another musician carry equipment even if I'm not playing at the venue that night. Singers usually let everyone else carry the equipment, but I had two singers Aaron and Vinny that both went out of their way to help setup and carry equipment. Thanks, guys! bekloppt.gif

My last singer did not have a prob with it at all, he was also a drummer before i met him laugh.gif My last co- lead guitar player would step over my stuff and not think twice about it 1287.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 31 2012, 12:42 PM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jul 31 2012, 07:47 AM)

My last singer did not have a prob with it at all, he was also a drummer before i met him laugh.gif My last co- lead guitar player would step over my stuff and not think twice about it 1287.gif

We shall go in there with heavy artillery and take care of the chap. Let's take care of my ex guitarist, too. There's no room in the world for LSD, especially when you're not making $100,000 per show... 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (av450 @ Jul 25 2012, 07:38 PM)
I'm just starting to get into DT. I like The Glass prison, The great Debate, The count of Tuscany. My question is, what is a good first album to buy of theirs?

Images and Words

Awake

.........these set the stage for them.......

According to celebrity net worth, mike portnoy is worth, as of july 24, 8 million U.S. dollars. This is more than twice the 3.2 million JP supposedly has. With 8 million I can now see why mp was not too worried about losing his spot with dt. He can play these project bands all he wants with that kinda loot. I figured the guy put the money up his nose and was nearly broke, but apparently he put a few bucks aside over the years...

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jul 30 2012, 05:57 PM)

rofl3.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Aug 6 2012, 05:57 PM)
QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jul 30 2012, 05:57 PM)

rofl3.gif applaudit.gif

Ticky's face is severe

whispering with a sneer

in Mike Portnoy's left ear

to make sure he hears

to make things so clear

and he has no such fear

of being so near

he just says with a leer:

"hey you prog-metal queer

jump off a pier

with all your drum gear

and your brand new Ford Kia

you can leave by the rear

but first buy me some beer

cause it's too fuucking dear

and I'm in arrears

that'll be $500 Mike, cheers..."

Mike sheds some tears

like he's not done for years

to the door Portnoy veers

Ticky stands there and jeers

"listen you drum cavalier

make yourself disappear

and don't come back here

I am being sincere

when it comes to careers

we prefer Britney Spears

so don't reappear

or I'll step on your spheres!"

cool10.gif

I finally listened to Live At Budokan today. 1022.gif The solo in Hollow Years is amazing and the extended Beyond This Life is excellent. I also forgot how much I like Train of Thought. Those songs work well live. LaBrie's voice was a bit nasally but he mostly sounded good. Not as good as Score though. Now I need Scenes Live From NYC. Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Aug 6 2012, 09:17 PM)
I finally listened to Live At Budokan today. 1022.gif The solo in Hollow Years is amazing and the extended Beyond This Life is excellent. I also forgot how much I like Train of Thought. Those songs work well live. LaBrie's voice was a bit nasally but he mostly sounded good. Not as good as Score though. Now I need Scenes Live From NYC.

The best of the best in the 3 live releases you mentioned:

From Budokan: Hollow Years, the crazy version of Beyond this Life, Only Matter of Time and Instrumedley;

From Score: Raise the Knife (!!!!?????), the whole Six Degrees, Octavarium, Under a Glass Moon and Innoncence Faded;

From Live Scenes: Overture, Strange Deja Vu, Home, Learning to Live and the full version of A Change of Seasons.

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Aug 6 2012, 10:29 PM)
I finally listened to Live At Budokan today. 1022.gif The solo in Hollow Years is amazing and the extended Beyond This Life is excellent. I also forgot how much I like Train of Thought. Those songs work well live. LaBrie's voice was a bit nasally but he mostly sounded good. Not as good as Score though. Now I need Scenes Live From NYC.

From Budokan: Hollow Years, the crazy version of Beyond this Life, Only Matter of Time and Instrumedley;

From Score: Raise the Knife (!!!!?????), the whole Six Degrees, Octavarium, Under a Glass Moon and Innoncence Faded;

From Live Scenes: Overture, Strange Deja Vu, Home, Learning to Live and the full version of A Change of Seasons.

I forgot to mention that I love Instrumedley! I'm usually not a fan of medleys but they did it well.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Aug 6 2012, 09:36 PM)

I forgot to mention that I love Instrumedley! I'm usually not a fan of medleys but they did it well.

I think one of the the high points of Budokan was Instrumedley plus the live versions of the Train of Thought/Falling into Infinity songs. I also liked James' take on Only A Matter of Time. I still think Score is their best DVD though. I know some people might think otherwise and say Budokan or Live Scenes From New York is better, but for me, I think the energy from the band and crowd plus the setlist as a whole are the reasons why I really like it more than the others.

I've never cared for the Instrumedley. It was basically taking a lot of the most wanky parts out of a bunch of songs and playing them in no discernible order. I'd much rather have gotten one or two live versions of the songs they came from.

Live Scenes is still their best live DVD from the Rudess era, and Live in Tokyo from the I&W tour is awesome as well.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Aug 6 2012, 11:19 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Aug 6 2012, 09:36 PM)

I think one of the the high points of Budokan was Instrumedley plus the live versions of the Train of Thought/Falling into Infinity songs. I also liked James' take on Only A Matter of Time. I still think Score is their best DVD though. I know some people might think otherwise and say Budokan or Live Scenes From New York is better, but for me, I think the energy from the band and crowd plus the setlist as a whole are the reasons why I really like it more than the others.

The Scenes From NY cd is great, but the dvd leaves too much of the show out. Budokan and Score are both amazing.

I really like Instrumedley. It is wanky in the best possible way.

The thing about the Chaos in Motion release is the less than great quality on the production (both Cd and DVD)... I actually listened to this the other day......but it was the intent of the release. Mike described with Chaos in motion that people should expect a release similar to "Once in a Livetime" and that is essentially what was delivered. Not too much of an issue, but I like single show, good production live releases a bit more...but the Chaos release is still great.. (Petricci throwing in the solo fro "mother" in Surrounded was amazing)

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 7 2012, 09:06 AM)
The thing about the Chaos in Motion release is the less than great quality on the production (both Cd and DVD)... I actually listened to this the other day......but it was the intent of the release. Mike described with Chaos in motion that people should expect a release similar to "Once in a Livetime" and that is essentially what was delivered. Not too much of an issue, but I like single show, good production live releases a bit more...but the Chaos release is still great.. (Petricci throwing in the solo fro "mother" in Surrounded was amazing)

I know...I kinda like the "collage" effect of Once in a Livetime and Chaos in Motion, but the overall quality really suffers when they pick several different recordings like this. Some of the footage on Chaos in Motion is horrible - take Repentance, for example, or Take the Time.

Plus, JLB's vocals are not very good on a lot of the songs on CIM. It's almost like they went out of their way to pick performances where he didn't sound good. laugh.gif

Also, the performance of The Ministry of Lost Souls on there is just terrible. I am not sure who is more lifeless during that song: the band or the crowd.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Aug 7 2012, 10:31 AM)
Plus, JLB's vocals are not very good on a lot of the songs on CIM. It's almost like they went out of their way to pick performances where he didn't sound good. laugh.gif

Also, the performance of The Ministry of Lost Souls on there is just terrible. I am not sure who is more lifeless during that song: the band or the crowd.

I agree...and this song sucks by the way. It was the absolute lowest point of the concert in that tour.