Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (shail @ Jul 24 2012, 09:08 AM)
mike p will never get back with the band. that be a huge step back. mike m is a more creative player. has a ton more chops and fits with the band better than mike p. drastic turn of events is a fantastic album. been listening to it every week ever since it came out. music feels different with mike m in the drum chair. his drum parts are stellar.

While Mike P has grown stale over the last few years, don't underestimate his drumming.

Also, "...drastic turn of events is a fantastic album. been listening to it every week ever since it came out..." If that is indeed what you are listening to, then you are listening to some band other than Dream Theater.

QUOTE (Priest of Syrinx @ Jul 24 2012, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (shail @ Jul 24 2012, 09:08 AM)
mike p will never get back with the band. that be a huge step back. mike m is a more creative player. has a ton more chops and fits with the band better than mike p. drastic turn of events is a fantastic album. been listening to it every week ever since it came out. music feels different with mike m in the drum chair. his drum parts are stellar.

While Mike P has grown stale over the last few years, don't underestimate his drumming.

Also, "...drastic turn of events is a fantastic album. been listening to it every week ever since it came out..." If that is indeed what you are listening to, then you are listening to some band other than Dream Theater.

I prefer Portnoy on the drums. It may be that he didnt overachieve on Black Clouds but he have delivered some tasty and stunning drumparts over the years.

I dont like Mangini that much. Think he sounds a bit static. I think they should have choses Marco Minnemann in stead.

The last album is good though. I like the "hard" songs and dislike 2 of the 3 ballads which I find veery boring. DT havent made a good ballad since Space Dye West and that was with Kevin Moore on the keys.

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 23 2012, 12:21 PM)
Live from Budakon is amazing. That might be my favorite album studio or live from them.

It's the best visual-wise and sound-wise but James is off key too much while singing. Compare that to the awesome job he did on Score a couple years later and it's no comparison at all.

QUOTE (Snowman @ Jul 25 2012, 02:31 AM)
DT havent made a good ballad since Space Dye West and that was with Kevin Moore on the keys.

I'd say both Hollow Years and Through Her Eyes are great ballads since then.

QUOTE (av450 @ Jul 25 2012, 09:38 PM)
I'm just starting to get into DT. I like The Glass prison, The great Debate, The count of Tuscany. My question is, what is a good first album to buy of theirs?

Buy them in this order:

Images & Words, Awake and Metropolis 2: Scenes From A Memory trink39.gif

QUOTE (av450 @ Jul 25 2012, 10:38 PM)
I'm just starting to get into DT. I like The Glass prison, The great Debate, The count of Tuscany. My question is, what is a good first album to buy of theirs?

Since you like The Great Debate and The Glass Prison, I'd get the album that they're from - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. Then get Scenes From A Memory and Images and Words.

To be honest, I always go with a live release first pretty much when I try to discover a band.....

I started with the live album "Score", a triple live with a very good setlist that did a great job encompassing their catalog form 85 (there was a Majesty song in there) to 2005... I'd start there.

My first DT anything was- speak of the devil- the Live at Budokan DVD. I had heard they were great musicians but honestly I was absolutely blown away. As a musician it made me not want to play anymore for awhile (i.e. "why bother?!" laugh.gif )

But after watching that a lot I got 4 them in a row in this order:

Scenes from a Memory (Fatal Tragedy is the best on this, but the whole thing is GREAT)

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (disc 2 is amazing, glass prison is the best on disc 1)

Train of Thought (In the Name of God!)

Images & Words (Metropolis, Pull me Under, and Take the Time are some of DT's best still)

The ones I bought last were Falling into Infinity and Awake, but those are also excellent albums (especially Awake).

Systematic Chaos is solid and its In the Presence of Enemies parts 1 & 2 are insane! Screw the whole "oh the lyrics about the dark master are stupid" complaints, remember as Rush fans we like us some 'out there' themes too. Attention all planets of the Solar Federation!

Octavarium is awesome, especially the 23 minute long title track at the end. Watch how it develops and changes from beginning to end and tell me if by the 2nd listen you're not screaming along with James:

TRAPPED INSIDE.. THIS.. OCT.. A.. VAR.. I... UM!!!

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 25 2012, 09:49 PM)

Buy them in this order:

My order was Awake, Images and Words (bought them both at the same time), Metropolis Pt. 2, Live at the Marquee. All amazing albums!!!

QUOTE (Dream-Theater*#2358 @ Jul 26 2012, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 25 2012, 09:49 PM)

Buy them in this order:

My order was Awake, Images and Words (bought them both at the same time), Metropolis Pt. 2, Live at the Marquee. All amazing albums!!!

Hey, glad you mentioned Live at the Marquee. A lot of people have issues with the mixing on that album, but I love the drum sound on it!!!

Thanks to those who replied above. I'll start with Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Metropolis 2: Scenes From A Memory, and Images and Words. Then i'll get the live album The Owl mentioned. Thanks a lot!

I would start in this order:

1) Scenes From A Memory pt2

2) Six Degrees Turbulence

3) Octavarium

4) A Drastic Turn of Events

5) Images and Words

Those 5 give you a nice mix of old and new. And are superb albums IMO.

And as far as live albums run and get Live at Budikon and Score 25th Anniversary both the Blue Ray/DVD and CD's.

Amazing stuff.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 26 2012, 02:07 PM)
A Drastic Turn of Events

Is this Unreleased ? wink.gif

Six Degrees

SFAM

Train Of Thought [ the most Metal]

QUOTE (av450 @ Jul 25 2012, 07:38 PM)

Seems like you'll love "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" since 2/3 the songs you listed are from it.

Images & Words is obviously a must too.

I consider Images and Words, Awake, Scenes from a Memory, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, and Octavarium to be the top 5 DT albums ever made. It's kinda hard for me to pick my favorite out of those 5 because they're all masterpieces and they definitely have something unique vibe to those respective albums IMO. As for live albums, I say Score is my favorite live DT album because it's got a good blend between songs from their entire discography up to Octavarium as well as the orchestra during the 2nd half which was awesome. I think Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence off of Score is the definitive version of the song, at least for me personally.

I don't own any of the Ytsejam "Official Bootlegs" but I'm considering picking up the Falling into Infinity demos and the Bucharest 2002 DVD. Given that Ytsejam Records was mostly Portnoy's and there won't be any new releases for awhile if ever, I wonder if they still take orders on those. Would love some advice on the Ytsejam stuff if anyone here owns those albums.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jul 26 2012, 08:28 PM)
I don't own any of the Ytsejam "Official Bootlegs" but I'm considering picking up the Falling into Infinity demos and the Bucharest 2002 DVD. Given that Ytsejam Records was mostly Portnoy's and there won't be any new releases for awhile if ever, I wonder if they still take orders on those. Would love some advice on the Ytsejam stuff if anyone here owns those albums.

James Labrie said in an interview that he is in charge of new live recordings but he didn't say if they'd still sell old stuff.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 26 2012, 07:50 PM)
QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jul 26 2012, 08:28 PM)

James Labrie said in an interview that he is in charge of new live recordings but he didn't say if they'd still sell old stuff.

It's good to hear that there'll be new releases in the future. Some of the Ytsejam stuff are up on eBay but I think it's a bit of a ripoff considering it's more expensive than on the actual website, though I don't want to risk buying something off a website that may not be active at the moment. I know those CDs/DVDs are limited to an extent, and that's kinda the reason why I want some of those recordings, especially the FiI demos and the Bucharest 2002 show.

The "When Dream and Day reunite" release is very good, I have the DVD not the CD... in both quality in performance I feel that it is better than the original debut CD..