Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 17 2012, 02:45 PM)
They are as popular now as they have ever been.

no.gif The Best attendance for tours in the U.S. for them were from the Six Degrees to the Octo tours . The attendance started going south with the Prognation tours and now they sell can't sell out jack shit

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 17 2012, 04:40 PM)

It was Portnoy's idea to go on hiatus because he had a few projects on the burner (Flying Colors, Adrenaline Mob, John Sykes project etc).

no.gif He had None of these back when he quit, all he had was A7X

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jul 18 2012, 07:54 AM)

The ballads on the album are awful

Pure Cheese . Re-written cheese at that laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 18 2012, 09:10 AM)

admin.gif

th1245.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 18 2012, 08:11 AM)

admin.gif

th1245.gif

atickhum.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 18 2012, 08:07 AM)

no.gif The Best attendance for tours in the U.S. for them were from the Six Degrees to the Octo tours . The attendance started going south with the Prognation tours and now they sell can't sell out jack shit

I agree with you. I'm not sure what Tick is talking about here? Anyone who's attended shows over the last several years can see the attendance has slipped little by little. The prog nation shows I think killed a lot of interest because they ditched the evening with format and started having openers and doing 90 minute sets. Which is completel bullshit for a band like Dream Theater to play that short. It's good that they've gone to only having one opener and doing two hour sets now but bringing back the evening with format I think would bring the attendance back up a bit.

When I saw them two years ago, they played a headline gig here on an off date they had from opening for Maiden. The venue they played only holds 1,000 and they didn't even sell it out. You think that they would've got a good crowd since it was one of only a few headlining shows they played that summer but that wasn't the case. Both the setlist and show were great and while I found it unusual that they didn't sell the place out I didn't really think much about it. But now that I read the reports of less people going to the shows and the small turnout when I saw them last month and it looks like the signs of their popularity going down may have started a few years ago. It's strange that opening for Maiden didn't seem to expand their fanbase at all.

I'm not a new Dream Theater hater either. I really like the new album and think that Mangini is a great replacement for Portnoy on drums. But there's no doubt that they miss Portnoy's showmanship live and his constant promoting of the band which he did so well. The new stuff is very good but something is wrong if you can't admit the band has issues right now with keeping some of their fanbase interrested.

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 18 2012, 08:57 AM)

I agree with you. I'm not sure what Tick is talking about here? Anyone who's attended shows over the last several years can see the attendance has slipped little by little. The prog nation shows I think killed a lot of interest because they ditched the evening with format and started having openers and doing 90 minute sets. Which is completel bullshit for a band like Dream Theater to play that short. It's good that they've gone to only having one opener and doing two hour sets now but bringing back the evening with format I think would bring the attendance back up a bit.

When I saw them two years ago, they played a headline gig here on an off date they had from opening for Maiden. The venue they played only holds 1,000 and they didn't even sell it out. You think that they would've got a good crowd since it was one of only a few headlining shows they played that summer but that wasn't the case. Both the setlist and show were great and while I found it unusual that they didn't sell the place out I didn't really think much about it. But now that I read the reports of less people going to the shows and the small turnout when I saw them last month and it looks like the signs of their popularity going down may have started a few years ago. It's strange that opening for Maiden didn't seem to expand their fanbase at all.

I'm not a new Dream Theater hater either. I really like the new album and think that Mangini is a great replacement for Portnoy on drums. But there's no doubt that they miss Portnoy's showmanship live and his constant promoting of the band which he did so well. The new stuff is very good but something is wrong if you can't admit the band has issues right now with keeping some of their fanbase interrested.

Tick snorts a Lot of Glue and being president of the JLB fan club wears on him . He is posting from a treatment center as i write this

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 18 2012, 11:02 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 18 2012, 08:57 AM)

Tick snorts a Lot of Glue and being president of the JLB fan club wears on him . He is posting from a treatment center as i write this

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/tack-tick-glue_A925E4C1_large-1.jpg

Ask for it by name. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jul 18 2012, 12:18 PM)
"A Dramatic Glue of Effects"

Hahahahaha laugh.gif

atickhum.gif bacon.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 18 2012, 12:12 PM)
QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jul 18 2012, 12:18 PM)
"A Dramatic Glue of Effects"

Hahahahaha  laugh.gif

atickhum.gif bacon.gif

reminds me. i got some thickazz bacon i gotta nuke up soon and eat or throw out.

thanks tick

You need to tell why this album is rewritten?

Besides Lost Not Forgotten sounding like Under A Glass Moon, I can't see where your coming from? atickhum.gif

A Change of Seasons was great lyrically, but most of the lyrics Portnoy wrote since then were pretty terrible. Never Enough? The Best of Times (nice sentiment, awful execution)? Plus, almost all of the 12-step songs were filled with cliches and repeated phrases and whatnot.

The Count of Tuscany is a huge black mark against Petrucci, but he is still the guy who wrote Voices, which is as awesome lyrically as it is musically.

Edited by The K Man

Speaking of voices, in regard to the recent tragedy in Colorado:

"You've got to know who you're

dealin' with because, like a stranger,

just might come in through

here with a gun... and then what

would you do?"

Edited by Mr. IsNot