Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 22 2012, 10:23 PM)
Listening to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence... Beautiful... DT's most underrated work really.

I always see people say Images and Words and Awake are their best 2 albums but my 2 favorites are Scenes and 6DOIT.

The title track on 6DOIT is one of my favorite epics. And the first disc has grown on me so much since the first time I listened to it.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

Edited by Tick

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 20 2012, 10:36 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 18 2012, 09:10 AM)
QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jul 18 2012, 07:54 AM)

The ballads on the album are awful

Pure Cheese . Re-written cheese at that laugh.gif

You need to tell why this album is rewritten?

Besides Lost Not Forgotten sounding like Under A Glass Moon, I can't see where your coming from? atickhum.gif

Remember the conversation we had on the phone after Angels came out ? I said it just sounds meh to me, that nothing really sounded New to me ? I guess that is just how i feel about the album as a whole . I thought with Portnoy gone they really wanted to show us what they can do . I said it before , i thought the album would blow people's heads off and they would give us something like Six Degrees or SFAM , for me , it did not happen . I love Lost Not Forgotten and Outcry , the rest i don't listen to anymore . One mans Treasure is another mans Garbage i guess laugh.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 23 2012, 08:53 AM)
He's a very talented rent-a-drummer to those who need him, but he doesn't write songs.

Egg Zakk Lee . Which is why i give him 2 albums before Portnoy comes back. Show attendance will play a big part as well, because that is where they make their money now

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 23 2012, 10:03 AM)
He's a very talented rent-a-drummer to those who need him, but he doesn't write songs.

Egg Zakk Lee . Which is why i give him 2 albums before Portnoy comes back. Show attendance will play a big part as well, because that is where they make their money now

Trust me. I hope Mike does come back!

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 23 2012, 09:03 AM)

I have no doubt Portnoy will come back. He didn't handle leaving in the right manner by wanting the band to take a few years off while he kept working on his other stuff though. I do believe that once he gets the break he wanted from Dream Theater there will be a reunion with him. Portnoy knows that he can still make more money with Dream Theater than any of the other projects he's wroking on. Him coming back is inevitable.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 23 2012, 08:53 AM)

Besides Lost Not Forgotten sounding like Under A Glass Moon, I can't see where your coming from? atickhum.gif

Remember the conversation we had on the phone after Angels came out ? I said it just sounds meh to me, that nothing really sounded New to me ? I guess that is just how i feel about the album as a whole . I thought with Portnoy gone they really wanted to show us what they can do . I said it before , i thought the album would blow people's heads off and they would give us something like Six Degrees or SFAM , for me , it did not happen . I love Lost Not Forgotten and Outcry , the rest i don't listen to anymore . One mans Treasure is another mans Garbage i guess laugh.gif

About your last sentence. When did we start talking about Snakes And Arrows? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 23 2012, 09:27 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 23 2012, 08:53 AM)

About your last sentence. When did we start talking about Snakes And Arrows? tongue.gif

laugh.gif

I do not see Portnoy back in the fold anytime soon if ever.

The band has truly moved on IMO. And I think they are much happier.

Mangini is a more than capable drummer and the rest of the band is far more involved in the song writing process now. I think there was some real bad blood boiling for years and when Mike gave the opening (and he was being a fool to think the band would just stop for 5 years) they jumped on it. I am talking about Labrie and Myung. They can't stand the guy.

Anyway ADTOE is a fantastic DT album to my ears. One of my all time fav's from them quite frankly.

I am so far on the other end when it comes to DT compared to their hardcore fans (which I am not). I like and enjoy a ton of their work, have seen them a bunch of times live (they are simply awesome live).

I gravitate to their material starting with Scenes Pt2 (my favorite album) and beyond. I love A Change of Seasons but their first few albums are good...really good. But I prefer there more recent material. On the past record, Scenes etc.

Live from Budakon is amazing. That might be my favorite album studio or live from them. Also Scenes From NY is awesome too.

Edited by Todem

IMO if portnoy ever returns he will have the upper hand.

i don't care for the new disc and think without question they needed a break.

since the new disc sold less copies than BC&SL and concert attendance is down, it seems they are on the wrong track to me.

i think at this point they sound dated due primarily to LaBries vocals. that type of singing has fallen out of favor in modern metal IMO.

mike p will never get back with the band. that be a huge step back. mike m is a more creative player. has a ton more chops and fits with the band better than mike p. drastic turn of events is a fantastic album. been listening to it every week ever since it came out. music feels different with mike m in the drum chair. his drum parts are stellar.

QUOTE (shail @ Jul 24 2012, 09:08 AM)
mike p will never get back with the band. that be a huge step back. mike m is a more creative player. has a ton more chops and fits with the band better than mike p. drastic turn of events is a fantastic album. been listening to it every week ever since it came out. music feels different with mike m in the drum chair. his drum parts are stellar.

Seriously?

I really like the new album a lot and Mangini has been a great fit in the band so far. But you are overrating his talent and severly underestimating or just forgetting how great of a drummer Portnoy is. There is nothing on the new album that Portnoy couldn't have pulled off, the drumming is good on ADTOE but it's nothing that blows you away.

QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 24 2012, 08:05 AM)
IMO  if portnoy ever returns he will have the upper hand.

i don't care for the new disc and think without question they needed a break.

since the new disc sold less copies than BC&SL and concert attendance is down, it seems they are on the wrong track to me.

i think at this point they sound dated due primarily to LaBries vocals. that type of singing has fallen out of favor in modern metal IMO.

Wrong on all accounts.

If Portnoy ever does come back to the band, no way will the band let him waltz back in and control the band like he did before. He'll have to swallow his ego and accept that he no longer has the control he did before. He lost that when he left the band two years ago.

Also, concert attendance is not down. They are still drawing about what they have the last few years, but some shows have had more empty seats than usual because they have been being booked at slightly bigger venues, so more empty seats gives the impression of attendance being down, but that is not the case. If you bring in 3,000 fans in a 4,000-seat venue, and also bring in 3,000 fans in a 6,000-seat venue, the 6,000-seat venue makes it look like you aren't drawing as well as the other, but 3,000 still = 3,000.

Also, the sales for ADTOE were similar to that of BC&SL. You can't just look at chart position (BC&SL debuted at 6, while ADTOE debuted at 8) for such things. Both albums went to number 1 in countries in Europe.

As for modern metal, who cares what modern metal sounds like? JLB still has the perfect voice for Dream Theater.

Edited by The K Man